Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A look into bending the rules here. The rules in the BRB state that only infantry can embark transports, unless stated otherwise by the codex. This is on page 66. Ok time to be a douche.

First think I would like to point out is the word "embark" on page 66. It explains embarking as units within range getting in. Now please turn to page 94, column 1, paragraph 6. It mentions nothing about embarking. It is either full or not. That means that if there was a non-infantry unit that selected a transport and started in reserves, this would be possible.

Here we go..

If you are an evil shameful pirate, please scroll to page 61.. I mean flip your legitimate copy to page 132. Please note the HQ squad choice Command Squad. It has the Dedicated Transport option to take a drop pod, which can carry 12 models. Luckily you can only have 5 squad members. Now please refer to Unit Options. For a set price, you can give every member of the squad a space marine bike.

Please don't hate on me. This popped up on accident when I was looking through units for the Sons of Librarium thread. I would never use this unit, but if someone sees this foul logic, I hope they use my name for it. "Hell's Angels from Hell" please.

I personally would only use this unit with a certain weapon upgrade set. All 4 vets with twin thunder hammers. Oh yeah.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Without referring to the rulebook, it may be possible. But I don't really see the problem. You can drop pod all sorts of things and if you choose to do so with bikers (without confirming the legality of it) the feel free. You have successfuly kept a few hundred points in reserve to land and do bugger all on the turn they arive.

Whilst cool from an imagery point of view I doubt it's tactical merits.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would definitely paint them up with flames and shit all over their bikes and drop pod. Airbrush and masking and everything.

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They can come in during the player's first turn with the new drop pod rules. That means no having to worry about the enemy sneaking in a killing the squad while they wait for their moment to strike.

They can be kitted out with some interesting mixes of wargear. 4 vets with Meltas (and maybe even power weapons) can do massive damage to an armored squad or vehicle.

Their durability should be noted aswell. 3+ armor is cool, +T bonus, FNP rule, and a cover save if they turbo boost.

Lets put that into a tactical situation. You are playing a WH who uses exorcists at the rear of his line (or any army with stuff like this, bassies and IG for example). Drop this squad your first turn right next to the tank. Tank goes boom. Now you have a unit that is using the destroyed tank as cover, and is naturally durable. Next turn you speed away from his guns with turboboost, then you drive back in and assault him.

----edit-----
Aww pickle be nice. It wasn't that random. Read the title of the thread and the name of the unit =P

·
Registered
70 Posts
I take offense to being called a "random" poster :(

Anyways, the imagery of a hell's angels biker squadron deep striking in just hit me in a wave of awesomeness that could only have been captured in that single random post.

I thought drop pods rolled reserves rolls as per normal?

And yes, a biker squadron isn't even that hard to defeat with a counter assault. As long as the other player realizes that there is a deep striking bike squadron waiting in the wings he will be able to set up his deployment or formation in a way that gives him an advantageous charge. Example: gaunt wall around nidzilla, genestealers set up on the inside for a countercharge. Bikers massacre gaunts (woop dee doo), get blasted by dakkafexes, then charged by genestealers. You just traded 250 points (idk, ballpark figure) for 80 points.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
It was uncalled for pickle.

Sure, they can have some funky stuff. But how much do you pay for it? At the end of the day a lot of things can drop them, all it takes is a few plasma-gun weilding guardsmen and they are smoke.

Do you have a rough idea of the points cost for a unit?

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
340 for 5 with bikes, 4 of which with meltas and power weapons.

New drop pod assault rules say that on the first player turn, you have to choose half of our podding units and drop them.

As for setting up your army to counter a specific unit.. way to go. You just took your thousands of points to counter a 350 point squad. I'll just pod it somewhere else, then mess up your clustered squads with blasts templates.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
But you don't need to set up an army to counter it.

A normal tac squad with a powerfist will do nasty things to it on it's own.

·
Registered
70 Posts
340 for 5 with bikes, 4 of which with meltas and power weapons.

New drop pod assault rules say that on the first player turn, you have to choose half of our podding units and drop them.

As for setting up your army to counter a specific unit.. way to go. You just took your thousands of points to counter a 350 point squad. I'll just pod it somewhere else, then mess up your clustered squads with blasts templates.
Specific unit? My nid list has genestealers, gaunts, and dakkafexes anyways. Dump attacks on them before their thunder hammer initiative and it really isn't hard to cause 3 or 4 wounds leaving very few bikes left to attack back. Counter assault is something most armies are able to do quite well. Dakkafex 113pts, genestealers 120 pts, gaunts 70pts. IDK where you're pulling this 1000 point number out of, but I'm just trying to tell you how you can improve your strategy. I did it to a space marine player today, it's not hard, and you can leave the attitude at home.

Smart gunline armor armies will put their tanks up against the board edge so that you can only hit them from the front, and so that deepstriking to their flanks is dangerous due to the possiblility of scattering off. You're probably much better off just using the huge movement of those bikes for what it's there for: moving. Save the deepstriking for something slow, like a cc dread or something like that. In a sense you're wasting the mobility of the bikes that you're paying for by deep striking them instead of moving normally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i dunno if this was a serious strategy or just a random fun idea, But
I agree that bikes mobility are much better utilised rather than by deepstriking them in by drop pod

[You have successfuly kept a few hundred points in reserve to land and do bugger all on the turn they arive.]Skarsgard

So you drop in your hells angels and they sit there and get deystroyed by this nidzilla thingor any common sense shooty army to nail the hq first.

That being said the idea is an awesome one i would so far as to equip them with "power"chains and get them the motorcycle jackets as well. And who wouldn't want to put a harley logo on an sm bike and look completely BAMF!

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, but another forum pointed something out to me. page 97 of the rulesbook says that tranports in reserve count models as embarking that are in them.

Plus on P 66 the first paragraph clearly states that only infantry can ride. I must have skipped that in my pursuit of a sentence to manipulate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The classification for a command squad is "Infantry".

Now, unlike Jump Packs, the Space Marine Bike wargear entry does not change your unit type to "Bike" It merely states that a model on a Space Marine Bike "Follows all of the rules for Bikes".

Nothing in the Bike rules changes your Unit type to Bike.

Ergo, Command Squads and Independant Characters mounted on Bikes are technically Infantry that follow all of the rules for Bikes, and as their unit type classification is still Infantry, they are allowed to embark on transports.

Anyone able to shoot me down? Please. I really, really want someone to, because it is stupid and cheesy to the max.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't shoot it down but i wish for a clarification. The spacemarine model has a backpack type thing. The question is do you need to keep the backpack on for the model to count?

For i'm interested just as a side squad of getting a bike squad and get the riding jackets and everything. maybe even get some scout bikers as "prospects" fun idea

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Huh DA-Atma... that actually is a very good point. Just when I thought GW had written 5th edition and SM codex with minimal wording loopholes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.