Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like this item... but I'm having trouble deciding who should carry it (Lord or Hero) and how he should be equipped. I'd like to hear some suggestions and examples.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
I vote for hero level vampire. If you're going to build one who's purpose is to intentionally avoid combat, it may as well be the weaker sort. It's not too terribly often your ranknfile baddies will be swinging at anything with WS6.
You can just do a cheapiecheap support hero w/ Helm of Commandment and the appropriate summon ability for your army, toss on Dark Acolyte if you have more pts.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
I'm chucking mine on a hero level vampire. WS6 should be plenty for rank and file, and, as mentioned, if you've got to keep someone out of combat, may as well be a hero.

There are cetain strategies you can use if in't one the lord, tho, explained on the GW website. Basicly, it's got to do with picking the correct order for your combats. Resolve the lord's combat first, aim to break the enemy, then, as he's not in combat, nearby units gin ws7. Even with this tho, I dont think it'as worth it.

Tim

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
I'd say the best choice would be an a vampire with dark acolyte and a master power, and if you can spare the points a hellsteed to get a fly move that will let you get to where it's needed most.

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first I was considering putting the Helm on a Lord and giving him Forbidden Lore and taking a lore with some missile spells and maybe the Rod of Flaming Death so he'd have something to do outside of combat.. but I've since reconsidered and decided to go with the Hero, too.

I guess the thing to do is give him enough protection and speed (and manuever him carefully) so that nothing he can't kill in a single turn assaults him and he doesn't get shot up.

Vampire on Hell Steed 210 pts
Helm of Commandment
Black Periapt
Dark Acolyte
Summon Ghouls

He's a bit squishy, but at least he's fast enough to get close to whichever unit needs his support.

·
453 Posts
When looking into using the Helm you need to think about if from your opponents point of view. How do you beat VC's every time? Kill the General which half the time means getting him into combat, so putting the helm on the General is a bad idea.

I run 3 units of Skellies, the Lord in the central block and Vamps either side so a Vampire in a secondary skellie unit will give WS6 to either of the Skellie units.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
I've been putting mine on the vampire lord. WS7 is great because now many of the opponent's basic troopers will need 5's to hit if they're WS3. And while the vampire lord is great in combat, you don't always want/need him there. Every time he's in combat, he's risking getting killed and pretty much losing the game if it's not the last turn.

I use Master of the black arts, forbidden lore, and lord of the dead with a flayed hauberk, sword of might, dispell scroll, and helm of command on the lord. So it's the casting backbone of the army while still retaining the ability to fight, and then I trick out the other vampires for fighting with avatar of death and such.

Stick the vamp lord with some skel's, put the other vamps with grave guard, and your lord will not ever really need to get into combat.. and can give your GG WS7, add to that the banner of hatred or the banner of the barrows and they will kill plenty with great weapons.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Oy, this sounds dodgy. Where did you read it? I looked through the new vampire tactica but didn't see it. Did I overlook it? Did I read the wrong tactica?

There are cetain strategies you can use if in't one the lord, tho, explained on the GW website. Basicly, it's got to do with picking the correct order for your combats. Resolve the lord's combat first, aim to break the enemy, then, as he's not in combat, nearby units gin ws7. Even with this tho, I dont think it'as worth it.
Tim

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've started using a single Vampire with Black Periapt / Helm of commandment and gave him Flying and Avatar of Death.

She performs 3 roles:

First she is very mobile and will therfore always be able to be within range of the cavalry units i have that need the WS6 (there are 2 units of 12 knights with characters that make up the center of the army).

I can also use the BlackPeriapt to boost the magic offense/defense. Plus she generates an extra Power/dispel die to help withsome magic herself while not much every littl ebit helps.

I can also use her to kill skirmishers/chariots/war machines as needed makign her a very dangerous character in every way rather than simply using her to give another unit WS6 (which is hardly worth the 200 points spent on this character).

And while performing these roles, she'd able to freely join infantry and fast cavalry to protect herself from enemy attacks and can also hide behind Fell Bats and jump into forests of other concealing cover easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts