Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm putting together a rough Daemonhunters list and would love some feedback. I haven't written up a full roster yet, I wanted to get some opinions on a general list first. Comments in red.

H.Q
Brother captain w. psycannon, 4 GKT retinue w. 1 psycannon and 1 thunder hammer. To act as a firebase, plus counter-charge unit.

Elites
Inquisitor w. psycannon. To join IST squad lightning.
Vindicare assasin. Intended to puncture armour with his special round, and take out key members of squads. I know he's not highly recommended, especially compared to the Callidus, but seeing as I'm going for a more shooty Daemonhunters list the Callidus would be a bit stranded, plus I just prefer Vindicare.

Troops
Squad lightning - 7 ISTs w. 2 plasma guns, ?teleport homers?, to stand on objectives and form gunline. I figure one squad can have anti power-armour, one can have anti horde.
Squad thunder - 5 ISTs, w. 1 flamer and 1 grenade launcher, to stand on front line and use their templates in case of assaulters.

Fast Attack
5 Grey Knights w. justicar and meltabombs, to DS next to a devastor/equivalent squad or something with armour, or otherwise just join main force as objective holding/counter-charging unit.

Yes I am very aware I don't have armour, but I am of the opinion that if you are going to have armour you need at least 2/3 LR or dreadnoughts or 3+ rhinos or chimeras, otherwise it'll just get popped in one or two turns anyway. I am also conscious of not having
much anti-armour, the melta bombs, psycannons, thunder hammer and vindicare give me a few options spread across several squads, but there aren't too many options without taking armour myself.

Options I'm considering:
- Removing the FAGK as they are at too great a risk, being on their own.
- DSing the GKTs with the FAGK to help them survive, and removing the psycannons which would potentially be a point sink for a combat squad.
- Getting 3 dreads, two w. lascannon/ML, one AC/DCCW. Prefer this over land raiders because of points and fitting in with my shooting style. Would also mean I might not need the thunder hammer which I would prefer.
- Doing the cliched suicide IST rhino/chimera squad, but again I am too afraid that they'd get popped early with so much anti-armour these days, and then I'd be stuck with 2 useless meltas which will probably never be in range of anything useful.
- Giving my inquisitor a pimped out retinue, including sages, mystics, gun servitors etc. to make him a massive HB/PC firebase, and also anti-DS.

So what do people think? Please don't read and not reply, even if you don't have any huge wisdom, I appreciate any C&C i can get. Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
my guess as to why you havent got any replies yet is because you havent indicated what points level this list is?

if you want to take a vindicare assasin, take it by all means.. but nowhere does it say you have to take any assasins at all. The vindicare can only kill a maximum of 6 models per game, and he has a 50% chance of wounding those models unless you use a special round, but only one of those rounds helps you to wound. If you want to pop a character, you can use the double wounding round, but its still a 50% chance that it wont wound, effectively wasting your round. if you can pick out a commissar from a 50 man guard squad, charge that squad and kill them all in sweeping advance then MAYBE he has paid for himself, but honestly, sergeant telion can do this alot better. keep that in mind. if you really like him, by all means take him, but he may get annoying because he wont do a hell of a lot.

Also i think you need more anti-tank, the vindicare is not anti tank, hes not a dependable anti armour unit, you need a couple of melta guns on IST's or lascannons or some guy with guard mech or tau mech or anything mech is going to wipe the floor with you.

good luck,

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll see what I can do for you; I'll start with my disclaimer. Unfortunatly I do also play Chaos, usually for that matter. All of my CSM squads run dual meltaguns not that the majority of my opponents use armour but this makes them flexable so far. I win most games as CSM BTW due to my flexibility and in-your-face style. That being said, I am much more conservative with my DH army, being pure GK so far. Alright, that's over.

H.Q
Brother captain w. psycannon, 4 GKT retinue w. 1 psycannon and 1 thunder hammer. To act as a firebase, plus counter-charge unit.
Keep him as a firebase only. I used a single BC w/ Psycannon agains Nids in a small 500 pt skirmish and he lasted to the very end. Moving very little if at all and plowing into my opponents Carnifex with that Cannon. BCs suck in CC. So if you plan to go CC, take the GM far superior. Same Nid Opponent, 1000 pt game. I DS a GM and 4 GKT Ret. right into a mob of Gaunts, wiped them out and then charged a Tyrant next turn. Lost most of my GKT but the GM took that Tyrand alone.

Elites
Inquisitor w. psycannon. To join IST squad lightning.
Vindicare assasin. Intended to puncture armour with his special round, and take out key members of squads. I know he's not highly recommended, especially compared to the Callidus, but seeing as I'm going for a more shooty Daemonhunters list the Callidus would be a bit stranded, plus I just prefer Vindicare.
I don't use Inquisitors, I have no good advise here... same for Assassins but I would be willing to say go with the Callidus, so what if she's left twisting in the wind, that's what she does... appears out of thin air to cut stuff to ribbons and most likely get killed in the process. Or you could go Eversor and hope to get killed in a nice juicey, swarm-like CC and then blow everything to hell ;)

Troops
Squad lightning - 7 ISTs w. 2 plasma guns, ?teleport homers?, to stand on objectives and form gunline. I figure one squad can have anti power-armour, one can have anti horde.
Squad thunder - 5 ISTs, w. 1 flamer and 1 grenade launcher, to stand on front line and use their templates in case of assaulters.
I'd move the PAGKs into the troop slot and most likely swap out some Meltas in those ISTs so you have some good anti-tank. Your GKs can be used to baby-sit objectives if need be. and of course I'd get them a LR or LRC to make them boys MOVE! I've had good luck both times I've used ISTs with Plasma though. They actually shot better than my GKs. It was sad but it worked out for me.

Yes I am very aware I don't have armour, but I am of the opinion that if you are going to have armour you need at least 2/3 LR or dreadnoughts or 3+ rhinos or chimeras, otherwise it'll just get popped in one or two turns anyway. I am also conscious of not having much anti-armour, the melta bombs, psycannons, thunder hammer and vindicare give me a few options spread across several squads, but there aren't too many options without taking armour myself.
I would pick up the LR for the PAGKs and then drop in 2 Dreads mounted up for anti-armour, or at least 1 for that. That way you can have anti-armour spread out and have more scoring units, and a bit more competitive nature (as such as it is with DHs). Hope that helps. I don't use my GKs as much as I wish... I'm still kinda getting the entire army together. But I plan on making my first 10 games in 2010 with GKs. =D Good luck to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.