Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Soon I'll play my firts battle against dwarves but I'm not sure what units to take with me.

thnx

P.S. it's going to be a 2000 point battle

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your going to need something to beat his (inevitable?) Gun line, I would prepare fast units supported by mages (perhaps even mounted) You can heavy magic them and or Crush them (chariots seem to do well on the initial hit but need backing up. Remember to have your chariots in pairs, a S7 hit; which isn't hard for dwarves will spell ruin upon your chariots)
Also I suggest the new Skiensliver item (try to get the first turn and march towards him...) Great Eagles are a must, and the last game I played against Dwarves I took 4 of them, they are cheap and versatile... (sure they will die but you gotta keep his cannons busy while you advance...) Also don't forget to take out his anvil of doom (if he has one, and you may want the new HE item that makes them re-roll successful anvil strikes). Furthermore I suggest at least some shadow warriors to block line of sight for turn 1 while you advance (as a LOS blocker, since your eagles can't make it to his side of the table untill turn 2)

Finally all dwarves have T4, they are not the easiest army to kill, and actually in my opinion are the hardest race for High Elves to beat. That being said its not impossible, try to take out his units, 1 block at a time, using flanks (and a rear if you can.. Start with one side and work your way to the other...)

I suggest advacning on the non-artillery side and then engaging that flank, so that he can't shoot at you (through his own units, due to LOS) this way the 500+ points he puts into siege weapons will be useless. But you are vulnerable when making it to his side... so remember to block off with SW (or reavers maybe... but not as effective usually) and get your Great Eagles to harrass the siege weapon crews.

The Dwarf Gun Line is both powerful (Boring) and a trick to beat, if you manage to make it to his side however with most of your attacking units you should be able to steal the day.

I still haven't lost to the Dwarves, and don't plan to! (actually I haven't lost yet PERIOD!) I hope these tips help you...

Regards,

VD*

P.S I am sorry but I also forgot... Use the terrain to your advantage! When you are placing terrain make a barrier for your units to hide behind (and perhaps give your faster units the banner of Ellyrian to get them through those woods and over to the other side ASAP! If you have any more questions please post here or send me a PM...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ,

having red that I was thinking of the following:

Teclis (because he casts everithing with irresisteble force wich is funny against dwarves)

noble
sword of might
enchanted shield
dragon armour

21 spearmen

10 archers (because I don't have another unit of spearmen)

19 white lions
full command
banner of sorcery

white lion chariot

8 dragon princes
drake master
standart bearer

2 bolt throwers

2 great eagles

My plan is to have some (atleast one) wood and hide behind it with the white lions and then storm forward with everything and shield of saphery should save the most of them

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
a fair plan. though i personally consider special characters a cheap way to win in general. (much more rewarding to play the game without such crutches)

the main weakness for dwarves is their lack of mobility as such most dwarf players go for the all too popular gunline. the trick to beating this is to shutdown the warmachines, be it through magic or a flyer/fast cav.

the combat units will be significantly more difficult. you will generally need to get in a flank charge in order to break a unit of dwarves and even then you will want to have something hard hitting head on. in a one vs. one egagement dwarves are effective to the point of silly. :p

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I agree with arklite - if you have to use a special character, than it doesn't count as a win in my opinion. Plus, Teclis does not cast everything with irresistable force, that only counts on doubles. And with this list, there is a good chance you'll not roll a double and not get a decent spell off.
If you want to go magic heavy, get a level 4 and a level 2 and the banner of sorcery at least. You could also add jewel of dusk, seer staff and even another lvl2. Lore of Metal for the win.

Change your noble for this: Armor of Caledor, Great weapon - It is cheaper and gives you greater strength and a better armorsave.

Make your dragon princes into 2 units of 5-6 or 1 unit of6 with warbanner. 8 is a waste. I would get something to take out or at least occupy his shooting phase. Eagles go down too easy for me to take 2. But maybe you've had better success with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Eagles do go down fairly easy, however they are so versatile, I always want to take a pair! If you fear of losing them I suggest placing wood during the initial terrain deployment so that your eagles can hide behind them and then lunge out, this should also give your troops a little bit more protection as they traverse across the board (because if you make it across you have a much higher chance of winning, however, getting across the dwarf gun line is the most boring thing ever...)

Regards,

·
2,244 Posts
As a surprise you can go rather shooting heavy, 3 bolt throwers an eagle, 2 x archers, seagaurd, reaver bow on eagle, shadow warriors and medium or heavy magic. You generally have the range on his troops (hand gunners especially), and you can move around where he is fixed. I have used this to great effect, but you need to watch out for his warmachines especially a gyrocopter and grudge thrower as well as the anvil.

It will take him at least 3 turns to cross the board if he is very aggressive (he is a dwarf so probably not, There are exceptions however). If you back the line up with small units of sword masters that can wreak havoc in small numbers in a short space of time, Dwarves in my opinion do not lose a protracted combat, they will wear you down and whittle you away slowly, you have to hit them hard in rounds 1 and 2, break them. If they are able to support each other you are in serious trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts