Librarium Online Forums banner

Help against Wood Elf Tree Spirts

954 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DavidWC09 
#1 ·
Hey. Yesterday, I played against a guy with a nasty tree spirt army and having never played them before, I had noidea what tactics to take except taking fire magic which does good against treemen. We played 3000 points and his army list if I can remeber had:

*Treeman
*Treeman Speacial Character
*(2x) Branchwrayth
*some dyrad speacial character
*(7x) units of eight dryads
*(2x) spellsingers
(2x)units of Wild Riders

Long story short, my 2 lion chariots did very little this game due to all of the woodland terrain that was put down, my spearmen w/mages did good until one unit with the archmage pursued in the woods and was killed by magic and both my mages did decent on casting but missed some key oppurtunities. my silver helm unit with bsb did good but the other fled off the board from a terror check and my archers and bolt thrower did little this game because they couldnt get a shot off. My 27x man white lion unit w/noble did good at taking out a dryad squad and a treeman (nonspeacial) but I made the mistake of charing into the wood ;?, and he slaughtered the whole squad in one go with some 50 magic item :0(clarification, what is it). My lord on a star dragon did awsome by killing the speacial treeman character and burning some dryads with the breathe attack, but the lord was killed and the dragon was stupid on turn 5, but thankfully didnt roll any stupid tests but by then he got a solid victory over my elves. It was very interesting playing against an army like this before and I was wondering if anyone could help me with any tactics at beating a tree spirit army. Please Respond. Cheers :drinking:

See less See more
#2 ·
White lions work better against WE, not their charriots. A unit of WL with the amulet of light to deal with their wardsave. The WL can move thought the wood with the same ease as the WE they hit first and hit at S6 and they have a 3+ save against any bowfire, and yes the lore of fire is always good against tree spirits. good luck!

#3 ·
Being a WE player, I would have to say that you don't really stand a chance vs wood elves.:D

That being said, what worries WE players about HE is magic. The more you have the better. Fire especially. Giving units magical attacks will get you by the forest spirit ward saves. And don't overdue the ranked up units, you won't need the combat resolution bonuses normally.

I think the item you are referring to is the Deepwood Sphere. It is less points than you posted but it does a str5 hit to all models in the same wood as the carrier.

Have fun.

SirKently

#4 · (Edited)
It sounds to me like you were very generous terrainwise, and this matters a heap. Anyone who tries to fight WE in a big forest will lose every time (untested, haven't seen everyone play), they are a bit like us and have to pick their battles, that aside;

White Lions should have been 2 smaller units,
Chariots and shooting are a waste in a forest (again terrain dependant so probably wouldn't leave them behind),
A unit of DP with banner of ellyrion and amulet of light should mess him up pretty consistently.
I don't know that I would take fire magic, cool with the flamable thing but I think life no line of sight if they are in a forest (check carefully may be confusing rules with previous edition) and high, + 3 to cast will mess with low level wizards and leave you with only bound spells to dispel.
Even the dragon is less effective in terrain as he has to land when he goes in the forest and can't fly for a bit, better to have a moon dragon and spend the extra points elsewhere.

This is all just opinion, but try and avoid fighting in the forests, without shooting he has to charge and although you want to avoid multiple charges, show your flanks to dryads and your front to wildriders and treemen then you still get rank bonuses and only have to kill 3 dryads to take the flank bonus away, you don't have to charge he does.

#5 ·
I have played one game against WE so far with my HE. Allonairre is right, I had an Archmage and Mage with Lore of Life and it turned my opponents tactics against him. All those hippie tree huggers that were hiding in the woods had to deal with Master of the Wood hitting them with str 5 attacks. Then when they left the woods Ring of Fury did well with its 2d6 magic missile. I rolled Howler Wind too and it put a damper on WE shooting (though you are playing against a Spirit Army so it wouldn't be quite as helpful :p)

It sounds like you may have let your opponent have the advantage in this fight. Also have to agree that the DP's +Banner of WE hunting and Amulet of Light work insanely well.

Also with regards to your white lions, I find that 15 is usually the biggest I go with them. So you could easily split that unit up into 2 effective units.

#10 ·
White Lion units, and DPs with Ellyrion are your friends here. Beyond that, grab smallish units of Spearmen, 15 or so. Take magic heavy gear, to help toast his army with your amazing magic.
Lore of fire is cool and all, but not so great really. Perhaps one mage gets it, but Lore of Life is better. Can't go wrong with High Magic though either.
Remember, the drayds don't burn.

Against WE, that's the only time I set up terrain like they say in the book. That's because trees for the WoodElves, are as important as their units. If he gets the chance, he'll put them everywhere, and then add his free wood to it. Best bet to get a fair fight and avoid arguing is to use the terrain generator or the grid option.

hope that helped, best of luck

#11 ·
Against WE, that's the only time I set up terrain like they say in the book. That's because trees for the WoodElves, are as important as their units. If he gets the chance, he'll put them everywhere, and then add his free wood to it. Best bet to get a fair fight and avoid arguing is to use the terrain generator or the grid option.
Hey! No telling! :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.