Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!

Right, now that i have that out of my system, i will express my problem.
I hhave recently been playing a series of 750-1000 point battles against a friend of mine who plays chaos, tzeentch.

His army comprises one chariot with the mark of tzeentch for 150 points. The other 600 points he spends on an aspiring champion with the mark of tzeentch, exalted champion with mark of tzeentch riding in a unit of 4 chaos knights, chosen with the mark of tzeentch of course! My problem is thus, a minimum of 8 power dice and one kick-ass unit that my shooting and combat abilities are simply unable to harm rampaging the battlefield.

I have quite honestly tried damned near everything and it has come to this.......HOW THE HELL DO I KILL THAT @#$%ING UNIT????

Soooooo, in short, despite the fact that i am a fanatically proud Druchii lord i am finally asking for help.

Regards

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
If he is using chosen knights I've 2 words that should help.

BOLT THROWERS.

Using a unit of shades to slow his marching right down to a crawl, take 2 bolt throwers and pepper that unit with single bolts. That should kill one chosen knight a turn. Make sure you charge the chariot, and that should be broken by combat resolution.

Hope this helps :ninja:

·
Registered
37 Posts
well, tzeentch's lore is still not as strong as for example slaneesh and it's still pretty random if you ask me. dark riders are great against a list like this, as his line of sight is reduced greatly

take 1 or 2 bolt throwers and some cheap and little warrior units. maybe take a chariot or 2 and mount a noble in that chariot. try to bait his units and circle around him as much as you can (which you should be capable of doing, you're an elf after all) and try to maximise charges. his army is ridicuosly small so if you get those important charges in and take out that knight unit the game is won for you. remember he only has LD 9, so if you flank charge his knights with exes, knights or chariots, you should be able to win.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple of problems,

1- he is by far the best dice roller i have ever seen when it comes to armour saves and his ward of 5+ for the unit.

2- the champions in the unit have a nasty habbit of challenging every unit champion i possess and getting massive overkill bonuses.

3- Trying to engage him in combat means running the magical gauntlet and getting blasted with tzeentch spells (don't underestimate them they are painful!)

4- quite honestly the dark elves arn'e capable of fielding anything in so small a game that is capable of damaging his knights and when we play victory points i cant even get his unit below half strength which means the max victory points i can have is 150 for the stupid chariot.

Hmmmmm......this is a problem that will take some work.

Regards

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
2 RBTs

one unit to screw his charge up(make sure he can see the unit behind and flee, he cannont re-direct since he could charge the unit initially.)

2 chariots with a noble, there is no way in hell he can withstand a flank charge.
or really even a frontal charge.

dark raiders, again to screw his line up.

he has 2 threats, i mean even chosen they will be eaten by a charge in the flank but execs, chariots, knights.

i cant stress enough how march block is essential.
and with the 2 RBTs panic check will be really dangerous to him at ld9. he fails one check he is beat.

since he is obviously throwing everything in these units use points denial, fast units and generally be a pain in the ass. he wont have the mobility to coupe.
march block his knights, make every bit of the movement phase real pain in the butt while throwing volley after volley at him with your RBTs, and you should be able to counter charge him.

cheers.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can he take units of 4 chaos knights? Normally cavalry units come in units of 5+...
But yeah, charge the chariot, use 2 RBTs to damage his cavalry, and set up charges by fleeing with dark riders. If you, like danceman said, use dark riders to set up a charge by fleeing from his knights and flank charge his knights with something you have, and you should win by a lot with CR. Shoot them to weaken them first, and do the same with the chariot. (in fact, RBTs can do serious damage top chariots too, with D3 wounds...). That should do it!

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Master_Bungle said:
Can he take units of 4 chaos knights?
Yes. I'm still trying to work out why my fellow Chaos players bother taking them in such small units though..

·
Registered
565 Posts
IF this guy is the best dice roller ever when it comes to armor saves (ignore this statement if you favor statistics over superstition) shoot single bolts rather than six shots. That way he dosn't get an armor save.

I thought chaos knights were a 5+ unit.

Bring a dispel scroll, and use it to to take out a really nasty spell when you get close.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Have to reiterate, bolt throwers are your friends. Ballistic skill 4 and no armour save on single shot is great. Also dark magic can hurt him, he may have loads of power dice but how dispel does he generate? It can only be around 4 dice if the 2 champions are classed as sorcerors. Use your own magic, dark magic has some unpleasant stuff in it. If you have a couple of level 2 sorceresses and give a darkstar cloak to one of them you will be generating 7 dice a turn yourself. Dominion will be great fun when you stop his chaos knight unit from moving so you can pepper it for an extra round with the bolt throwers. Word of pain will reduce their weapon skill to 1, making them far less of a threat in combat. Black horror will only kill on a 6 but hell it has to be worth a shot.

Also use dark riders, you should in theory be able to destroy his army without ever engaging it in a fight. I have both a dark elf and khorne army and know that if I am playing Druchi going head to head with chaos is only ever going to hurt.

Also as a chaos player I can confirm that knights of chaos come in a 4+ unit size.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am soon to play a Chaos army in a 2000pt battle and have never played them before...
It will be my friends army, so I know what he will be taking. And that is:

An aspiring champion of some sort with the mark of khorne
15 chosen khorne warrior to go with the champion
5 chosen knights of khorne
5 normal knights of khorne
A Daemon Prince (the lord guys?) with the mark of Khorne
8 (i think) flesh hounds
16 maurauders (however you spell that...)

My plan is to have both RBTs shooting at the chosen khorne knights :)w00t: ), I will have a unit of dark riders lure the warrior units into a flank charge from my cold one knights with their warbanner and highborn (with gauntlet of power hehe). I will have 10 warriors with Repeater crossbows shoot at the fleshounds for a couple of turns maybe, i shall have 1 unit of spearmen engage the marauders and maybe have a unit of 5 dark riders flank them (good idea?). That leaves me my 5 shades, 5 harpies, 1 unit of 20 spearmen, and a unit of 5 dark riders to deal with the other unit of normal 5 khornate knights and the daemon prince....any ideas? (remember I shall also have 2 sorceresses on dark steeds, so I will have 7 power dice and a bound spell, and I think he will have 8 dispel dice). So, if anyone can give any advice, it would be appreciated. The problem I see is that the daemon prince (being flying and all) could (and probably will have to) charge just about anything I will have. Please give me some ideas :(

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is this gauntlet of power i keep hearing about??
And where do i find the rules for it? Cause it sounds big and nasty.

Regards

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Captain.Snowball said:
What is this gauntlet of power i keep hearing about??
And where do i find the rules for it? Cause it sounds big and nasty.

Regards

If you do a search of this forum you will find the link, I also believe it is in a pinned thread or two about the FB sections. Look for 'Treasures of the Old Ones' .

KU

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, a few things.

1- Is he fielding the fleshhounds in two units OR does his daemon prince have master of mortals...otherwise he lacks the core units and the army list is illegal.

2- RBT shooting at the knights is excellent but you need to concentrate more firepower on the marauders, fleshhounds and warriors. Despite the low strength of crossbows with two shots statistics say that you will decimate marauders and fleshhounds and harm warriors. chaos is pretty slow moving (apart from the knights) and you can take your time shooting him down as he has no ranged attacks and no magic at all.

3- My biggest problem when facing chaos is the addition of exalted champions into the knight units, without them however you should be abe to kill them. 2 chariots with nobles carrying great weapons on the charge will very likely decimate a unit of 5 chaos knights, if not, then try pegasus mounted nobles with lances and enchanted shields.

4- The daemon prince can be easily taken care of. He cant join mortal units and so has no support base. Try and get him to charge a unit of 20 corsairs or some unit that has a war banner. This will mean a combat resolution bonus of 3 ranks, outnumber, standard, war banner....thats 6 before the fight begins!! he doesn't even have that many attacks. this should tie him up long enough to be flanked/rear charged by knights, chariots, pegasus nobles etc and should finish him off. Remember he can only have at best a 4+ armour save and against high strength would be relying on a 5+ ward save which could be funny.

Good luck!

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts