Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm fairly new here and almost completely new to warhammer 40K - I've been a Fantasy player for a few years.
Anyway - I'm starting an Imperial Guard Army - and have read the Codex a few times, reviewd this forum, and still sort of confused about putting together a good Army List. I realize I'll probably have to play a few games to get the hang of it, but I'm hoping for some advice.
Here's what I have so far:

HQ

Junior Officer
Command PLT

Elite

10 Stormtrooopers
Chimera

Troops

1st Platoon

Lieutenant
Command Squad - Autocannon team

1st Squad - 10men,includes Sergeant, VoxCaster, Grenade Launcher and Heavy Bolter team
2nd Squad - same

2nd Platoon

Same as 1st Platoon

Fast

Hellhound

Heavy

Leman Russ Demolisher - hull Lascannon, Heavy Bolter side sponsons
2 - Leman Russ Tanks - hull Lascannon, Heavy Bolter side sponsons

I think I need to buy at least another box of Heavy Weapons - maybe a Fire Support Squad in my Headquarters Platoon.
I also think I need about 6 Plasma Cannons - 2 per Command Squad and 2 for the Headquarters Platoon.
Plus I think I want 2 Meltas for the Stormtrooopers.

Any advice would be appreciated - not looking to buy scads more stuff, but I know I do need to make a few more purchases.
Also - if it helps, I mostly just want to move my toys around and roll loads of dice - I'm not uber-competitive, but do want to have a reasonable chance to kill my opponents.

·
Registered
579 Posts

I think I need to buy at least another box of Heavy Weapons - maybe a Fire Support Squad in my Headquarters Platoon.
I also think I need about 6 Plasma Cannons - 2 per Command Squad and 2 for the Headquarters Platoon.

Any advice would be appreciated - not looking to buy scads more stuff, but I know I do need to make a few more purchases.
Also - if it helps, I mostly just want to move my toys around and roll loads of dice - I'm not uber-competitive, but do want to have a reasonable chance to kill my opponents.
I'd say you already have the basis of a pretty reasonable list and the purchases you plan of plasma guns and melta guns would fit quite well.

Might consider a standard or some fluff things for the Army HQ if you haven't already got one.

Rather than a fire support squad look at making the extra HW box into something anti-tank as that seems a bit light at the moment.

Might consider swapping the hull L/C on the russes for Hull H/B as well - unless they're already built and you don't want the hassle.

·
2,399 Posts
Looks good... (Tweaking recomm)

Hey all - I'm fairly new here and almost completely new to warhammer 40K - I've been a Fantasy player for a few years.
Anyway - I'm starting an Imperial Guard Army - and have read the Codex a few times, reviewd this forum, and still sort of confused about putting together a good Army List.

I realize I'll probably have to play a few games to get the hang of it, but I'm hoping for some advice.

I don't need to say too much, you have some sense.

Here's what I have so far:

HQ

Junior Officer
Command PLT

Elite

10 Stormtrooopers
Chimera

Yaay! Good choice! if you want extra go for a 1x no hardened vets - you could find a fantasy empire player, mug them for some heads to stick on cadians and add a anti-tank weapon (they have BS 4 - the only real infantry lascannon selection).

Troops

1st Platoon

Lieutenant
Command Squad - Autocannon team

1st Squad - 10men,includes Sergeant, VoxCaster, Grenade Launcher and Heavy Bolter team
2nd Squad - same

NO NO NO ! PUll those voxe's off - they're pap. and in this list, neither officer has one, so they're useless. and if they did it wouldn't make much difference. you're far better off upgrading your sergeant for only one point more, and you can get a extra melee attack "koff-laughs at optimism-koff". Besides, you're making your men too expensive - the chief tactic of Imperial Guard is to choke the enemys guns with the bodies of your fallen men.

2nd Platoon

Same as 1st Platoon

Fast

Hellhound

Heavy

Leman Russ Demolisher - hull Lascannon, Heavy Bolter side sponsons
2 - Leman Russ Tanks - hull Lascannon, Heavy Bolter side sponsons

Remove the 2x leman russ's Lascannons, replace with heavy bolters. - The Lascannons against armour roll 9+1d6 penetration. Battle cannons roll 8+ 2d6, pick highest (ordenance), so that's get one less penetration, but roll 2 dice and pick best. and get a far, far, better damage table.

Nope, stop there. Also, don't base your heavy weapons on those giant coasters anymore. Put the missile launchers on standing men - so that a 3x heavy weapon box = 6x heavy weapons. Although you're quite right, Heavy Bolters are your friend.
P.S. Use smaller bases (Mug previously mentioned Empire player for spare cavalry bases or something.) I hate the way they don't fit in scenery.

If you can ask a Space Marine / Chaos Space Marine Player for some help, and then whack him on the head and steal his spare Melta/Plasma guns. Chop up plastic cadians and stick on heavy weapons - voila ?seven? quid saved! You will however have to buy Stormtroopers their weapons, but they do look so great it's worth it in my opinion.

P.s. going back to the vets i mentioned earlier, you could convert the empire troops with the plastic guns (special weapons which they can take 3xno per squad) easier, too.

p.p.s when mugging Marine player pick up some boltguns for your Lieutenant too. It would be polite to give the unconsious marine player the frags you DO NOT stick on your guardsmen in return. Especially if he's Dark angels or Blood angels, as they don't come with enough on the sprues, but they're all equipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks - I've got a lot to think about.

First, that's a good point about getting more out of a new Heavy Weapon box by using the missle launchers with a regular guard figure - I probably need another box of those as well anyway.

Second, Good idea about finding some storm bolters - right now, my Sergeants are modeled with a pistol and CC weapon from the sprue - But I've been thinking it would be more effective to just give them a laser rifile like everyone else.

Third - Unfortunately, I already assembled and painted my tanks - so I'm stuck with the lascannons - One of the things so complex (compared to Fantasy) about 40k seems to be the Wargear configurations and trying to model your guys right. I know this comes up in fantasy some, but not to this extent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.