Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a game with my Blood Angels 1500pt army vs Feral Orks yesterday, I was losing quite badly after three turns and luckily ran out of time.

The problem seemed to be the Choppa rule limiting my guys to a 4+ armour save in close combat and the Grots preventing any real damage being done via shooting.

Any ideas as to what kind of unit goes well against these Feral Orks?

I am worried about spending 200pts on 5 terminators only to have the armour save at 4+ :cry:

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
367 Posts
Against Orks in general, Termies are a bad idea. Don't bother with them, as their save will be as good as your tactical marines'.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I play against orks (regular, not feral) with my Blood angels all the time. The trick is if possible to eliminate the gretchin in the first or second round. Deploy your forces to maximize fire power and use assault squads as counter charge units.

I usually go for one small assault squad with power fist to take out vehicles. If you are using terminators do not engage them i close combat against units with choppas. I some times use a five man strong terminator squad w. 2 assault cannons to great effect, but never in close combat.

Hope it helps..
/
R

·
900 Posts
I find the best tactic against orks is to blow as many of them away with templates as possible. Consider a whirlwind or a vindicator. A lot of havy firepower is also usefull, heavy bolters and assault cannons come to mind. Course, you also have to tie them up for a while. so either a few assault squads or some squads geered towards close combat can really bog them down.

If you can find a way to funnel them into a single area, you can be fairly sure truckloads will die. (Castellan missiles from the whirlwind?)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you can, acquire a couple of Landspeeder Tornados with Assault Cannons.

Orks can't shoot too great, and assaulting them is difficult and you can fire 7 AP4 shots per turn each. Give Orks and Nids a real headache.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about Bikes?

·
900 Posts
Take down bikes as quickly as possible. The twin linked big shootas can be murder. However, they can be a point sink for any ork army (though feral orks can't get them. They get cyboars) kill the quickly since they tend to reach your line before the others. (unless it's a spedd freek list)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for being vague, how about me taking bikes in to battle vs Orks or Feral Orks?

·
900 Posts
ahah makes more sense now, sorry was in an orky frame of mind (I do play orks as well after all). Honestly it depends on what he usually fields. If you're up against a footslogger army, you can potentially tear holes through them with bikes zipping around his troops. However, I find bikes to be far too expensive for their use. Just a personal view really. The only real problem I see with facing feral orks with bikes is that they shoot as well as guardsmen so you can expect to see a fair amount of decently accurate fire coming your way.

Honestly the decision is yours. You have my opinion, I'm not fond of bikes. But if you're used to them and have a good set of tactics for taking the bugger down. Then by all means go for it.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
I think your best bet by far is templates. Whirlwinds will work wonders, as will flamers. Watch out if he's got one of those bloody squiggoths, as they are murder and a half for their points. If he's got a lot of cyboars and/or squiggoths then you may want to bring some lascannons and missile launchers.

·
1,485 Posts
Well think about scouts they wont be affected by the choppa rule at all. Also yes ordinace is effective but kindof unfluffy so go with the landspeeder tornados the attack bikes are good but cant put down as much firepower and aren't skimmmers. You want to maximize on heavy bolters and minimize on assault units also unfluffy. Think about dreads and landspeeders both can put out a lot of shots and the dreads can hold of an ork charge for a turn or two at least.

·
900 Posts
hmmm, forgot you were playing blood angels... Well, despite the fact that orks can murder large hordes on close combat, if you get the charge I can guarantee many won't be hitting back. Since Space marine iniative is higher, you stand a decent chance of hurting them with large assault squads.
On the other hand, if you get charged, if the unit is larger han 12 orks their iniative will double due to the power of the Waaagh! You want to avoid 4 attacks per ork simultaneous to your marines.

·
1,485 Posts
I think the most effective tool against orks is the dreatnought last stand, clearly that hidden powerclaw will eventually get the dreadnought but he will at least by you one maybe two turns of relief. Think that is one third of the battle it will takeat least 2 turns to get to the dread probably 4 since they are feral orks so your only casualties will be shooting. ( Even blood angles are given bolters they are put to effect against orks better when you pull the trigger not use them to bash out their brains even though it might seem cooler that way. )

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sabe said:
I think your best bet by far is templates. Whirlwinds will work wonders, as will flamers. Watch out if he's got one of those bloody squiggoths, as they are murder and a half for their points. If he's got a lot of cyboars and/or squiggoths then you may want to bring some lascannons and missile launchers.
Yes he has one of the moster 12"+ Squiggoths, tough as old boots and twin Rockit launchers, all for about 90 points.

I think I got had as it was my first game, He took out both my Whirlwind and Rhino (carrying the Death Company) in the first turn before I had chance to roll a dice in anger. He was using several Mortar and just allocated the blast markers onto my vehicles and then rolled to hit / scatter. I have later checked up and found the "Guess" rule for Ordnance weapons, is it common for people to ignore this rule? It doesn't half give them an advantage :O

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Morkai said:
hmmm, forgot you were playing blood angels... Well, despite the fact that orks can murder large hordes on close combat, if you get the charge I can guarantee many won't be hitting back. Since Space marine iniative is higher, you stand a decent chance of hurting them with large assault squads.
On the other hand, if you get charged, if the unit is larger han 12 orks their iniative will double due to the power of the Waaagh! You want to avoid 4 attacks per ork simultaneous to your marines.
Yeh he managed to charge me once with his 15 wild boar riders and he rolled about three thousand dice against my assualt squad!

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deek said:
Well think about scouts they wont be affected by the choppa rule at all. Also yes ordinace is effective but kindof unfluffy so go with the landspeeder tornados the attack bikes are good but cant put down as much firepower and aren't skimmmers. You want to maximize on heavy bolters and minimize on assault units also unfluffy. Think about dreads and landspeeders both can put out a lot of shots and the dreads can hold of an ork charge for a turn or two at least.
What is this "fluffy" / "unfluffy" thing?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Edit your posts. You just triple-posted!
Fluff is the background information of an army.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.