Votes: 25 67.6%
  • 5 basic colors

Votes: 12 32.4%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 2K of undercoated bretonnians lying around - I just can't decide on how I want to paint them. I'm doubting between 2 options; use 2 colors for the entire army, or use the 5 basic colors like in the army book (yellow, blue, red, white and black, but a maximum of 2-3 colors per knight).
For the first option, all my knights would be colored like this (I painted up this one as a test-example)

If using the second option, a unit would end up looking a little like this;

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
I think using one scheme for the whole army could get a bit dull to paint, and i think the '5 Colour palette' gives a far more interesting looking army in the end.

·
Undersecretary of Decay
184 Posts
I quite like the color scheme you have chosen. I think it fits the Bretonnians well, and you seem to be able to pull it off nicely, although it does lok a little 'flat.' I think if you shaded the white with an undercoat coat of space wolves gray and build up the blues from a darker blue it would look a lot richer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I quite like the color scheme you have chosen. I think it fits the Bretonnians well, and you seem to be able to pull it off nicely, although it does lok a little 'flat.' I think if you shaded the white with an undercoat coat of space wolves gray and build up the blues from a darker blue it would look a lot richer.
i would agree to using this technique, it really makes the colors pop.

as far as the scheme goes, personal i like the fluff of the brets, i painted an army myself when i was quite a bit younger. i like that they all have their own heraldy colors. i also go with a unified color for all non-knights.

for example, my knights were 'border knights' so instead of the shiny armor, it was actually black (dry brushed with boltgun, looked sweet) but the men at arms were the color of my general (white and red) and the squires matched the colors of their respective knight, some knights had more then others, some had no squires. usually the leader/standard/musician at least was the color of their respective knight position (as in the leader of the mounted squires was the same color as the leader of the knights)

so i guess i went with a meshed approach, but i think it turned out really well, i still have a few of my knights and men at arms, love em, specially my standard bearer for my first knight unit.

·
2,244 Posts
I went with 5 colours mostly from the fluff perspective. I like that they all look different, however if you do it poorly you end up with a mess.

It is up to you, a uniform colour scheme is easier as the models indivuality is lost a bit in the crowd so details are less important, 5 colours and every model is an individual and will be scrutinised as a character.

That is just my opinion though.

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
Is there no middle ground?

So, a similar theme so they don't look like a mess.. but with some variation so they don't look boring?

So, one guy has some red bits on his shield. Another one can have a monkey on his shoulder, another one had his hair in pigtails.

That type of thing :)

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
There was an army in WD freaking yonks ago now, a guy did an entire Brettonian army in 2 colours (I think they matched his football team or something equally silly), but did different patterning on all of them.
Lines, diagonal crosses, quarterring etc etc...

Plenty of options, still ends up with everything looking vibrant and exciting, but the army looks much more coherent on the table at the end of it all...

Just a thought.

-t.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There was an army in WD freaking yonks ago now, a guy did an entire Brettonian army in 2 colours (I think they matched his football team or something equally silly), but did different patterning on all of them.
Lines, diagonal crosses, quarterring etc etc...

Plenty of options, still ends up with everything looking vibrant and exciting, but the army looks much more coherent on the table at the end of it all...

Just a thought.

-t.
I remeber them, they were yellow and red and he had started painting a space marine army in the same colours!

In WD there has also been one Brettonian army in white and black and one Undead Brettonian in dirty white and dark green...

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I'ld say to go with five or so heraldic colours but to have them all be tonally similar, hilight and shade them all towards the same colours. E.G. shade everything towards black/brown hilight everything towards white/cream/khaki to pull them all togeather and bring in cohesion.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it seems the 2 colors are well ahead in the votes. If there is anybody that doesn't like the color scheme; I'm still open to suggestions ;Y

I will try painting the blue on the next one up from a darker blue so it won't look so flat if taking these colors.:?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally I like the mismatched color of the Bretonnians... It fits with the fluff as well. Although your color scheme does look good... and my own personal bretonnians are going for a more Nights Templar look... so I say go for the two color scheme!

-Razal19

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Colours on the Knights in the Medieval Times were signs of his house. Sometimes the colours were the same but the patterns or the heraldry was changing... I voted for every one for the basic colour. I don't know if it was too common to find Knights with the same cloths colours.

·
By the Silver Sword!
713 Posts
When [French] knights went to battle, the grouped together with their friends/family.

The way I'd paint them is have 2 basic colours for each group of knights, but vary the Heraldry within that group. Oh, and have the banner bearing the heraldry of the lead knight.

With the Lords/Heroes, up the colours, for example combine coats of arms, as was done when two noble families married. (Half one coat of arms, half the other)

Hope that helps 8Y

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've finally decided; I'll be using 2 main colors (white and red), and add another one for each unit, setting each unit apart while still keeping my army cohesive; thanks for all the help ;Y

here's the scheme I'll be using (grouped by unit in my 2K list);

9 knight errant - red + yellow

5 knight errant - white + purple

5 knights of the realm - red + blue

6 knights of the realm - red + black

6 knights of the realm - white + ice blue

3 pegasus knights - white + blue

5 questing knights - red + green

5 grail knights - red + white

peasants - red + green since my lord will be in these colors, and white doesn't really fit peasants :D

with this scheme, I've got 4 units with white, 4 units with red, and a unit with both colors. I'm hoping it'll look great when put together, getting a sort of medieval feel to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.