Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doctrines:

Hardened Veterans
Storm Troopers
Special Weapons
Heavy Weapons Platoons
Drop Troops

heheh,

help me, I can't find any points for special weapons...

I put this together but I am not so sure if it will actually work. Please let me know what you think of it. I am willing to change anything, but would like to keep the Heavy weapons at about their present level.

This list packs 10 mortars, 10 Heavy Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Heavy Flamer, 2 Demo Charges, 3 meltaguns, 2 plasma guns, 5 Storm Bolters, 4 Autocannon and 6 Flamers. Let me know how and where to trim so that I can get more in!

This is an infantry heavy list and is 100 models plus easily.

1500 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster – Take a look please

Heavy Support: Heavy Weapons Platoon (24#, 290 Pts)
JO with mortar
3 x Mortar Squads

Jo, Heavy Bolter Team
3 x Heavy Bolter Squads

HQ
SO with 4 veterans, all carry Storm bolters and have a standard.

Special Weapon Squad @ [45] Pts
Lasgun (x5); Demolition Charge

Sentinel (60 points)
H Flamer and Improved Comms
Infantry Platoon (25#, 208 Pts)

JO 3 x Flamers
Squad 1 Autocannon
Squad 2 Autocannon

JO 3 x Flamers
Squad 1 Autocannon
Squad 2 Autocannon

Hardened Veterans (5#, 62 Pts)
Missile Launcher
Sergeant with surveyor

Hardened Veterans (7#, 93 Pts)
Meltagun (x3)
Sergeant with surveyor

Elite

Storm Troopers (7#, 90 Pts)
Plasmagun (x2); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

Total Roster Cost: 1500

·
2,399 Posts
Response (Recommendations)

help me, I can't find any points for special weapons...

I put this together but I am not so sure if it will actually work. Please let me know what you think of it. I am willing to change anything, but would like to keep the Heavy weapons at about their present level.

Let me know how and where to trim so that I can get more in!

JO with mortar
3 x Mortar Squads

I 'd really just suggest removing this, but that's not in the spirit of your question.

Jo, Heavy Bolter Team
3 x Heavy Bolter Squads

HQ
SO with 4 veterans, all carry Storm bolters and have a standard.

So, you're spending 11 points per man to give them storm bolters. Give it to the SO (I'd personally just do a power sword - that's all he's worth) - and maybe to the standard since you have to buy his veteran upgrade anyway. But not the rank and file, not at 11 points each - you need some meatshields there. - 33 points saved
If they're being dropped and you really, really want those 2xS4 shots on landing get a boltgun - it's cheaper and you shouldn't be more than 12" away. but i wouldn't spend 6 points per man as they come with lasguns. And you're trimming points to put a special weapon in here, right?

Yaay! one of my faves. don't forget the replacement model.

Sentinel (60 points)
H Flamer and Improved Comms

For god's sake find five points and give it a multilaser (read S6 Heavy bolter. Nice.)

JO 3 x Flamers
Squad 1 Autocannon
Squad 2 Autocannon

Why heavys if they're dropping?

JO 3 x Flamers
Squad 1 Autocannon
Squad 2 Autocannon

OK, i assume you're keeping some back or it'll get really crowded.

Hardened Veterans (5#, 62 Pts)
Missile Launcher
Sergeant with surveyor

Surveyor? Who the hell is going to be visible within 18" on setup? give him a boltgun. - save 1 point

Hardened Veterans (7#, 93 Pts)
Meltagun (x3)
Sergeant with surveyor

Again, but your weapons don't even have the range to do anything about it. - 1 point

Elite
(Move up two entrys)

Storm Troopers (7#, 90 Pts)
Plasmagun (x2); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

Total Roster Cost: 1500
That saves 30 points. give the SO 2x meltaguns and add one stormtrooper. I don't get your penchant for uneven squad sizes. Or why your s/Troops don't drop. (You got to pay for it - they aren't guard squads for the drop troops doctrine) I'd also hint at trading the ML for a melta, swapping that 3rd melta from Hardened vet 2 into it, so that's 2x hardened vet squads of 6 men w/ 2 meltas in each. - It'd be better to have even squads in case they scatter and disappear. there's nothing a dropping Melta cant do better than the ML, which doesn't work when dropped (moving)
(and if you drop the sgnts boltguns / tinker with the SO's staff equipment and add to the 5 leftover from the ML removal = enough for dropping the S/troopers)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts

What about trimming the HWP to two teams each?

Also the thinking on the odd number of troops was that then the odd model must be removed to get the unit below 50% without having to pay for two models. So to reduce a unit of 8 to 50% takes 4 kills, it also takes 4 kills to reduce a unit of 7 to 50% strength. Saving me some points from very unit.

Maybe this is not as good an idea as I thought...

·
2,399 Posts
May be wrong ..

What about trimming the HWP to two teams each?

Also the thinking on the odd number of troops was that then the odd model must be removed to get the unit below 50% without having to pay for two models. So to reduce a unit of 8 to 50% takes 4 kills, it also takes 4 kills to reduce a unit of 7 to 50% strength. Saving me some points from very unit.

Maybe this is not as good an idea as I thought...
No, no, no - It is LESS than half strength
- a 7 man squad requires 4 casualties to be less than half str.
- a 8 man squad requires 5 casualties to be less than half strength.

- Pretty sure that's under scoring units chart - after missions in Main rule book.

Also, you can't take 2x heavy weapons in a fire support / anti tank - it says they MUST be equipped with xxx OR xxx at x points each. Otherwise every command squad i have would have 5 number 6 man lasgun squads to run around and be a nuisance with - more scoring units and less than average price per trooper. (I know it's a miniscule difference, but hey in my army thats almost 1x trooper.)

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
if you desperatly need them id conside sacking the sentinal, whats a light vehicle and 1 hev fla,er compared to the 6-10 special weapons you can get in for the same price?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the moment

At the moment each Heavy Weapons Platoon contains 10 Heavy Weapons. These come in three squads and then the HQ carries one as well. I could simply drop one of the squads from each platoon, this would save me 80 points.

That's what I meant. Apologies if my previous post was unclear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.