Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there, i am starting a tau army and i was wondering what i would get i was thinking a battleforce 2 hammerheads box of warriors and a sniper team i could get more but i dont know what else to get its hard to choose or to know what i need or instead of a battle force i could get a megaforce and 1 hammerhead and sniper team and other stuff can you help me please?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, being that I'm not sure where you're trying to go with your Tau(static, mech, or hybrid), I can't be of too much use to ya. But I can advise you on a few things.

1. If you want to buy a separate Hammerhead, then buy the Sky Ray box. It has the bits for both.

2. If you want either a lot of suits or a lot of tanks, then check out the appropriate Apocalypse box sets. Great deals there.

3. Sniper drones are much more effective when you fill that FOC slot. Just be warned that if you have only one team, you might be turned from them by a bad experience.

I myself first put money into both a Megaforce and a Battleforce, then later picked up both the Rapid Insertion Force (suits) and the Armored Interdiction Cadre (tanks). The only thing that I didn't use from there was the one unit of kroot, which I traded.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
It may seem a little rude, but the first thing you must purchase and read thoroughly is the codex. Learn about what each unit is capable of so that you can begin to form an Order of Battle plan for your list.

Also,you have a fairly wide choice of different styles of play with Tau: Mechanised (all Fire warriors in Devilfish, lots of vehicles in general), Static (few vehicles, much more infantry on the ground), Hybrid (a bit of both Mech and Static), Mobile Infantry (crisis teams, stealths, Broadsides, very few vehicles), amongst a few others. Take your time to read up on the style of each type before you decide which style format to go with, because it will save you an absolute fortune when you go to buy your models. We all know that GW's models, although first class, are pretty costly so avoiding purchasing errors is a Very Good Plan Indeed!

Start small and build up your list - don't go running in like a bull at a gate and try to use a 2000pt list immediately. Tau are NOT an easy army to learn to play quickly; they are very effective but also very unforgiving! Start with maybe 500pts and build up to 750 and 1000pts.

Psichotykwyrm's purchase suggestions are good ones, but if you do go all out and buy shedloads of models, don't try to get them all out in your first army! Take your time and learn as you go.

E.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
My advice is to not get the megaforce and get 2 battle forces, 1 hammerhead, and 1 commander.

Commander ~100pts

2 Crisis ~ 150pts

6 Stealths ~180pts

12 Fire Warriors in Devilfish ~200pts

10 Kroot ~70pts

10 Kroot ~70pts

Hammerhead with railgun ~ 180pts

You can make a ~1000pt list

For 1500, either buy another hammerhead, OR 2 broadsides, and another 1-4 crisis suits.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
My advice is to not get the megaforce and get 2 battle forces, 1 hammerhead, and 1 commander.

Commander ~100pts

2 Crisis ~ 150pts

6 Stealths ~180pts

10 Kroot ~70pts

10 Kroot ~70pts

Hammerhead with railgun ~ 180pts

You can make a ~1000pt list

For 1500, either buy another hammerhead, OR 2 broadsides, and another 1-4 crisis suits.
This is sound advice and a very good starting point for you. The only thing I'd be tempted to take in addition would be a second HQ Crisis suit once you start getting to the 1500pt level.

E.'s advice is very relevant and pertinent too. Tau are NOT an easy Army to play with, far less master. Start with around 500pts and get used to using 2 or 3 unit types and then start expanding to fill in your gaps. But if you head towards the list as suggested above you won't go far wrong ... ...

~ Raven ~

·
Registered
107 Posts
2 Crisis ~ 150pts
Way too much to spend on two suits that aren't Broadsides, IMO. The way I play it, I don't like dropping too many points in a single unit, because when my Chaos friend decides the time has come to maim, kill, and burn that one expensive unit, that's a whole lot of points you're out.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Way too much to spend on two suits that aren't Broadsides, IMO. The way I play it, I don't like dropping too many points in a single unit, because when my Chaos friend decides the time has come to maim, kill, and burn that one expensive unit, that's a whole lot of points you're out.
Yes, yes it is. So? It was a rough estimate. 139 points is not far off 150 points.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
139pts still seems a bit much for only 2 Crisis suits, unless your throwing points into team leader upgrades... (Team leader w/ bonding knife, I presume?)

Two plain ol' Fireknives cost only 124pts.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It's 15pts for a BS4 upgrade, which the math says is definitely worth the points cost.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's 15pts for a BS4 upgrade
How do you get that? Leader + 2 target arrays? I don't have my dex handy, but in another thread they just told me the suit TA was 10 points, and now I'm not sure. I always thought it was 5. At any rate, BS4 is definitely worth it, but i use markerlights instead if I can help it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Battlesuit Targeting Array is 10pts...and I prefer Targeting Array's over Markerlights - it's a little more reliable in my opinion - of course if I can use both, I will lol.

And let's face it...124pts isn't far of 139pts...(sure it's another 2 kroot, but it all comes down to play style - sometimes taht extra 15pts on your battlesuits is worth more than 2 extra kroot...)

Cheers,
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts