Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok to start off I'm not a Tau player, but my friend is. He apparently learned some new things that he didnt notice before and I wanna make sure he's right. He says first of all that crisis suits cant be killed automatically because of the strength is double the toughness rule. Is this true? I also want to question whether I need to roll to see stealth suits when firing with an indirect firing weapon such as a basilisk. Lastly he says he can take both shield generator and drone controller. The question following that is a drone will sacrifice itself for the controller, but what if they have different saves(the crisis has a 4+inv the drone has 4+) can the drone still sacrifice itself if the crisis fails its ivulnerable save? All help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
1) Tau in Crisis Suits are vulnerable to Instant Death and as far as I know they have nothing that makes any of their models immune to it.

2) When a model or squad accompanied by Drones is attacked or shot at, one follows the Mixed Armour Rules to determine which models take wounds.

Reactions: darkreever

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Lets not forget that indirect fire question, since you dont have to use LOS to use it you disregard the need of LOS for the suits all the same.

As far as the drone and armour question goes, if you take the save for one model and fail your not allowed to put the wound on another model. (Now if they were shield drones then it doesnt matter because they have a +4 inv. anyway.)

For instant kill on the suits, don't have my codex on me (damn me for leaving it with my models at work) but they can still be insta-killed since the suits don't offer more than: jump packs, move and fire all guns, and better armour last I used them. It really stinks when your shas gets hit by an enemy tau broadside and fails the invulerable save...8)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys for the quick feed back. I wonder what he was thinking, he said something called Recoil Absorbtion kept them from instant death.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Commissar_Malevich said:
Ok thanks guys for the quick feed back. I wonder what he was thinking, he said something called Recoil Absorbtion kept them from instant death.
Weird. . . Recoil Absorbtion has nothing to do with Instant Death.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Um...indirect fire still needs to roll to spot stealths.

Can see and in spot range: scatters D6".
Can see but not in spot range: scatters 2D6".
Can't see and in spot range: scatters 2D6 pick highest".
Can't see and not in spot range (most likely with the bassilisk): Scatters 2D6 pick highest + D6".

Recoil absorbtion means you can move and rapid fire once over 12" up to the weapon's range (24"), or move/not move and rapid fire twice up to 12" and assault.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
The confusion on ID is a common mistake by people who don't read carefully. The crisis suits are not instantly killed by S6 weapons, they are still ID'd by S8 weapons. The entry about this states that unlike many models with a bike/suit upgrade the extra toughness on crisis suits actually counts for ID, just like necron destroyers. So instead of crisis suits being T3(4) they are just T4.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you clarify spot range for me Onlainari, cause I dont quite get what you mean by that. To mean it sounds the same as if I can see them. You mean if I guess the correct range or what?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Look at pages 31 and 84 of your rulebook, under the headings firing barrages and night fighting respectively.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I went and battled today in a 600 pts battle guard vs tau and then a 3 way game necrons, tau and guard(no true winner/tie between guard and tau). He did however show me his codex. In the Armory section or someting like that there is a little paragraph thats titled Improved Characteristics. Its got the stuff that he was talking about, preventing insta death. Is still true, and if so what weapons does it apply to?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That section simply says that the toughness bonus that Tau in Crisis Suits also works toward Instant Death determinations. Simply: with other armies, toughness bonuses do not help against Instant Death. For example, a Dard Eldar Lord has T3 and gets +1 to T while on a bike. However, that toughness bonus does not help against Instant Death. As such, a S6 weapon will insta-kill a DE Lord. Tau have a basic toughness of 3. With certain Crisis Suits, this goes up to 4 and that bonus -does- help against Instant Death. A S6 weapon will not insta-kill a Tau equiped in such a Crisis Suit, but a S8 weapon will, since that is double T4.

Reactions: onlainari
1 - 13 of 13 Posts