Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have decided that i will collect tau. can you give me some help. any help is appreciated. my main opponent is ork he doesnt have much at the moment so his army is groing with my tau.

any thing is useful. tactics, tips etc.

i am new to tau so i dont know too much about them.

also who thinks tau are too predictable. any ways to make them less predictable (but not suicidal) are appreciated.

thanks

k3

for the greater good

·
Registered
166 Posts
if you dont have the tau codex buy it. if you do have it read it. search internet for pics so you can get inspiration on how to paint them. when i started i bought a tau battleforce. you get a decent army of 12 fire warriors 12 kroot 3 BS soem trees and 10 gundrones. dont know the points it costs but it will be around the 500 points ( guess?? ) from there on i expanded ( and i'm still expending )

"Welcome in the wonderous world of tau and kroot. Fight well for the greater good and we will aid you, brother, whenever you need."

-Aun'el Tolku Or'es Mont'yr

--for the greater good--

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more </span>:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
pathfinders are the way to go if you like being unpredictable. they are the most versatile unit for tau. they can go tank hunting (seeker missles, EMP grenades), they can go marine hunting (railrifles), they can support heavy weapons (markerlights), they can go infantry pinning (carbines), they can either fly straight ahead and harrass (free pregame move), they can be a mobile devastator squad (markerlight their railrifles to hit light vehicles or marines). they can be mobile wall (for battlesuits to hit and run behind while advancing).

there's so much to do with them, every tau army should consider using them (still optional to use them)

·
Registered
849 Posts
First of all..... Welcome to the Tau army...... Second, Rhino Driver is right, pathfinders kick ass! Also consider using the rules created by vycan in the approriate forum for the Tau Sniper...It is rather inexpensive and will remove the units that cause the most threat.....As for the army wise....get a lot FW's and Battlesuits...They will shoot the ***** out of your enemy!!

"Brother, welcome to the fight for the cause of the Greater Good. I assume you will be staying for awhile, so unless I hear of your death, I expect to hear MUCH good of your conquests. Go on and destroy all those that oppose our cause." -Shas'o Mont'yr Myen Malcaor

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rift how often do you post? As for the FW's, yup! Get at least 4 full squads when you are challenging a very large Ork army.....Have fun!! You might also want to field a Hammer head with Railgun as well......It could help you kill those really big mobz.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
@rhino driver:

Ya but all those points can go up in a puff of heavy bolter fire in just a turn, (assuming there are at least 2 heavy bolters within LOS).

@Karl:
The Tau can't help being predictable to some degree I think, they have alot fewer options than most armies, but at least you can be more creative than necrons, :D

Aside from the obvious ways of being original, (different weapon arrangements, etc.), there are some other things you could try.

You could get good at hiding kroot and learn to use lots of them in your army, that'd be different than most I think. (requires lots of forests or some luck though)

You could try using alot of devilfishes and pulse carbines for a nice mobile army, but until GW approves full carbine squads that may not be a great idea, (as you'll be wasting all of your pulse rifle fire, or getting in close enough to be assaulted).

Er, I'm about out of ideas. Welp, that's a start.

·
Registered
161 Posts
k.k.k.(not kkk) In the codex it says that it gives the kroot an extra ATTACK in close combat, not just extra cc weapon.

Ya get a hammerhead they rock. need a good deal of battlesuits, they are the main base of any good tau army, Especially stealth suits, they can tear any lightly armored units apart. Firewarriors, they are great, especially for their point values, just remember to use thier range to your advantage. Krootox, I see no use for them...At all. if you use kroot, i highly sugjest kroot hounds to go in the squad they are your best bet for CC in a Tau army, and that field craft +12" thing is a must for forrest battles.

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks everyone. an idea i had to make it less predictable was to use the vdr and create a transport for 10 kroot (like the wartrukk) this way i could zoom them into the enemy and they wouldnt be sure what was going on.

also what is a good tactic against ig. can tau outshoot them. statistically tau fire warriors can outshoot the guardsmen with equal points. but not outshooting them by many points. does anyone have any suggestions against tau.

alos i fought the ork player and he got beaten. not too hard.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh ya, forgot to mention that about the Kroot.

And I don't know about rushing the kroot into CC with a transport. They're not *that* good in CC, (hounds are purdy good of course), and since most of your forces will not be able to catch/keep up, and since they can't really get into the CC with the kroot, it might be tough. I'm imaging you rushing the kroot forward and then seeing them get gunned down if you can't make it to CC, (they're just such softies to weapons fire), or getting into CC, but getting overwhelmed quickly and making little difference.

I think kroot are best used as a diversion, placed to the side, (preferably through infilitration), so that they're decent guns and powerful field craft can be put to use early on, without getting them *too* close. Then, if the enemy ignores them, you've got kroot shooting at them the whole time, and/or free to charge into their vulnerable stuff at the rear.

If the enemy tries to engage em, the kroot can escape through heavy terrain, or just force them to move an extra ~20" out of their way before the kroot assault out of the trees. If your regular forces are deployed to cover the kroot, then the whole time the kroot are distracting them, they're taking fire from the rest of your army.

You could use a transport to get them into that kind of forward posistion when infilitrating isn't allowed, but the time it takes em to get there might ruin things a bit.

Tau can outshoot the generic Ig grunts, but IG can field alot more heavy stuff than the Tau, and so they can outrange the Tau.

I haven't really thought of a way for the Tau to defeat IG with lots of heavy bolters and ordinance units, but, it would definetely be ideal to force them to move. A straight slugfest against those heavy weapons could be trouble, but if you can use crisis suits that they can't pin down and can't get LOS to, then they have to move or get mowed by burst cannons. And, if you can setup your basic troops, (FWs/Kroot), to be out of range/LOS of their big guns, but still in a posistion for crossfire, then you can control their advance. (this will depend alot on the scenario, but most scenarios will require them to move a little, so just aim for where they need to be, and hide from where they are).

Oh, and stealth suits. I think stealth suits are of huge value against the shooty IG, for the obvious reasons. (perfect weapons, and hard to shoot)

You could also use hammerheads with submunitions to outrange their heavy weapons teams, and to annihilate big chunks of infantry in one shot.

Anyway, how'd the ork fight go exactly? Please post a short bat rep if you don't mind, I'm curious to know what both of you fielded and how it turned out.

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok as a battle report was asked for i have doen a summary of what happened each turn using my notes on the battle. i will try to get deciever to write a proper battle report when he has finished the other piece of fluff and i may post that one (trust me he is great at writing reports and fluff)

Ok we didn’t use the standard force organisation chart because my opponent was new to the game and I didn’t want him to totally kit out a Warboss and not use it properly so we just used troops. I used the orks stats from the rulebook as we didn’t have the ork codex.

Here are the armies

Ork – 15 grots, 10 slugga boyz, wartrukk with rocket

Tau – 2 * 6 fire warriors each with shas’ui (drone controller), bonded, 2 pulse carbines, emp grenades, gun drone

Ok we set up opposite each other on a small battlefield that didn’t have any terrain.

I had both of my squads deployed in a line with a 6 inch gap between the two squads. The orks set up with the grots, wartrukk and sluggas near the edge of the table. The slugga boyz were not in the wartrukk (big mistake)

Turn 1

The orks continued to advance towards my lines. The ork trukk fired it rocket and missed.

My 2 squads of fire warriors used the pulse rifles to shoot at the orks. 2 orks died.

Turn 2

The orks continued to advance towards my lines. The ork trukk fired it rocket and missed.

My 2 squads of fire warriors used the pulse rifles to shoot at the orks. 4 orks died.

Turn 3

The orks continued to advance towards my lines. The ork trukk fired it rocket and missed. The sluggas killed a drone. The sluggas then assaulted me and killed 3 fire warriors and in return the fire warriors killed 1 ork.

The fire warrior squad not in combat shot down 2 grots. In combat the orks killed 3 fire warriors and in return the fire warriors killed 2 orks. The remaining ork consolidated towards the other fire warrior squad.

Turn 4

The trukk fired its rocket and missed (again). The grots advanced whilst the slugga boy shot at the fire warriors but didn’t kill anything, the boy then assaulted the fire warriors but failing to kill any got killed.

Turn 5

The trukk fired its rocket and missed (again – much to my amusement and my opponents frustration) but the grots killed 1 fire warrior.

The fire warriors aimed at the trukk destroying it (at least now my opponent wont have to worry about it missing its target.

Turn 6

The grots fired at the fire warriors but didn’t manage to kill any of them

In return the fire warriors fired at the grots and killed 5 the grots ran.

Turn 7

the grots continued running.

the fire warriors didn’t manage to kill any.

Turn 8

The grots regrouped and headed back towards the fire warriors.

The fire warriors killed 3 grots.

Turn 9

The grots continued there advance

The fire warriors killed 4 grots (leaving only 1)

Turn 10

The single grot surrendered

The tau killed him anyway

let me know what you think of how i played and tell me any improvements that could be done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
it must have been very frustrating for your oponent to miss that much with his trukk :D

great battle report and the tau are victorious again. even when the tau where outnumbered. nice bloodshed ;)

--for the greater good--

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my opponent was going mental and something that this battle showed me was that you have got to be able to fight well using the tau or you will be killed.

by this i mean that you need to shoot and reky on shooting because in cc there isnt much chance of you winning.

because of this i am not sure if i like tau - chaos seem ok though

·
Registered
166 Posts
thou heretic, once fighting for the greater good always fighting for the greater good :lol: :D

i must admit the the tau arent very good at cc but you have kroot and if you use them wiselly you can avoid cc with you tau forces. alos make sure that your enemy is shot to pieces before he can come too close. no cc is possible if you can keep them pinnend or if you just kill them B)

--for the greater good--

·
Registered
849 Posts
i must admit the the tau arent very good at cc but you have kroot and if you use them wiselly you can avoid cc with you tau forces. alos make sure that your enemy is shot to pieces before he can come too close. no cc is possible if you can keep them pinnend or if you just kill them
Good point.....But it they do get into CC (which is nigh impossible), you are pretty much screwed!

·
Registered
166 Posts
yes and he looks so nice. i think i will buy him some day. i would love to paint him, maybe even convert him. don't know what yet but i will make a topic of it then.

--for the greater good--

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.