Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am just starting to get into warhammer... I went to a gw store today and they said i should buy a starter box for 75.00 that comes with noting but about 10 troops and a speeder for the SM (i really wanna be the SM) and a ruller and the rule book. Im guessing that 10 troops is not enough to play a war so is it a thing that i should get... or should i buy the army box and the codex and the rules book. Help :D also what the heck is Fluff?

·
Registered
664 Posts
well, i assume that this is the starter box w/ the sm and dark eldar. This is probably one of the first things you should buy albeit the codex for your army, the rulebook is a great thing to get, and not just so you can play the game right :p , but so you have an idea of what army you want to play prior to committing yourself to an army that you dislike (i got stuck w/ chaos in the old edition and didnt like them too much, even though now im playing chaos again :D ). The rulebook has a basic list of all the armies in it, so just in case, plus the 10 marines and a land speeder could help you with your army, and teh dark eldar you could play against to get a feel of how the game actually works.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
My advice: Dont get the big box set. It is cheaper to merely borrow the book off a friend to learn the more in depth rules, and photocopy the rear few pages for the stripped down ones than to buy the whole box set. Borrow Codices off of friends to read about the army, its abilities and rules. Then choose your army, you save a lot of cash this way.

And fluff is the background information, the story behind actions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just started the game a little while ago myself. What I did was go out and by a second tactical squad, and an HQ character. I asked the guy at the GW store, and he was pretty good at telling me all I needed for HQ was just a guy I could paint differently, so I picked up an SM Captain...

I believe that will give you the most basic army you could play, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong thought.

·
1,019 Posts
Come to the dark side young ionscorp. The Space Marines are fools that follow a corpse god. Join Chaos, the Ruinous Powers will give you power beyond your wildest dreams. Fame? wealth? power? carnal pleasures? these can all be granted with but a gesture by the gods. Chaos lives inside us all, those who do not embrace it deny it. And thus condemn themselves to ignorance.
You can hear its faint echo right now, we all did once. All you have to do is to turn up the volume and embrace it.

Come, join us. And we shall feast upon the souls of the ignorant wretches that stand to deny us. Death to the Emperor, death to the false Imperium of man.

LET THE GALAXY BURN!

So speaks the Thrice damned Lord of The Darknight, the Whisper in the dark, and Champion of Chaos Undivided: Rior Von Koln (PrOtOcoN).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Come to the dark side young ionscorp. The Space Marines are fools that follow a corpse god. Join Chaos, the Ruinous Powers will give you power beyond your wildest dreams. Fame? wealth? power? carnal pleasures? these can all be granted with but a gesture by the gods. Chaos lives inside us all, those who do not embrace it deny it. And thus condemn themselves to ignorance.
You can hear its faint echo right now, we all did once. All you have to do is to turn up the volume and embrace it.

Come, join us. And we shall feast upon the souls of the ignorant wretches that stand to deny us. Death to the Emperor, death to the false Imperium of man.

LET THE GALAXY BURN!

So speaks the Thrice damned Lord of The Darknight, the Whisper in the dark, and Champion of Chaos Undivided: Rior Von Koln (PrOtOcoN).
Spoken by a true chaos worshipper!

Anyways, the most important thing is talking other gamers (preferably veteran ones) and trying to learn what armies they play, which they think would suit you and which ones would not.

On the other hand, if you are purely concerned with how fast you can start playing, get an HQ, 2-4 troops, and 1 choice from Elites, Fast Attack, and Heavy support. This will give you a wide selection from the army, as well as getting yourself on the way to 1000 pts (which is the average size game; at least at my local GW :D).

If you're starting Space Marines or Dark Eldar (the two armies offered in the starter box), it might be worth buying the box, as you can simply sell the opposing force. This way you get the rules, dice, templates, and Rulebook to start off.

But if you plan on starting a different army entirely (*cough* Eldar Rule *cough* :)), then simply buy the rulebook.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Nice one Protocon!
Ionscorp, I wouldn't buy the starter thing personally. Talk to veteran gamers, buy the rulebook separately and maybe read some codexes in the store, then decide which army you want to play. You don't want to end up with a load of useless models after all. Things like templates and tape measure can be bought separately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although I have to agree with most of the replies, there would be one reason for buying the box set:

If your dead set on playing Space Marines or Dark Eldar. The reasoning behind this is:
1 you get the rules book, which costs about $30-40, you get 10 Troops which costs around $20-30, you get the Templates, which if you don't photo and cut them out of the back of the book, will cost you around $5-6, you also get some trees and some building parts, which aren't that bad, but good for begginers, and those will run you around $5-10, and finally you get the landspeeder, which will run you about $15-25, depending on where you buy it. So right there, if you bought all of this seperatly you'd be spending anywhere between $75-111, so if anything you break even, though I might be a bit off with the current prices, it should be close.

2 If you decide to play Dark eldar, you still have those to boot!

3 Which ever you choose, Dark Eldar or SM, you can always PRACTICE gluing and painting the other mini's, BEFORE you start on your army.

Now personally, I collect Space Wolves, I knew that before I even stepped into a games shop (played the game with a mate before I started collecting, and as soon as I found out about the SW I was hooked) and I still bought the starter set just for the same reasons I stated above. Although the Marines in the box set are Generic, they're easily converted to SW's by just adding a bit here or there, or with just a paint job.

Now if your going with any of the other armies (Orks, Nids, Tau, IG, Etc. ) then don't bother with the box set, it'll be a waste of money.

This of course is all in my own opinion, but it makes sense

Good luck :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by BorninDarkness@May 17 2003, 12:12
You don't want to end up with a load of useless models after all.
Useless models?? Is there such a thing?? :eek: (Just kidding, an old friend use to say that to me all the time, figured it would work here) :D

·
1,019 Posts
Ofcourse if you buy the starter you could adorn your marines with all manners of dark eldar body parts. Makin'em very sticky indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.