Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I'm new to the Hobby so bear with me please (academy program at GW on the 26th). However I wanted to know what Paints I should possibly buy right now. I bought the Citadel Spray can, as well as brushes. I am wondering though how I should do it, some people in the store recommended 2 options, white basecoat, black foundation paints, then detail, or just black primer and detail. I'm guessing, and some people told me, that priming white, than adding an undercoat of black would look better. However the store manager said the foundation black paint isn't sold seperately. What am I to do? Surely black space marines aren't a rare sight. Suggestions?

Oh and specifically I'm going Raven Guard, thanks!

EDIT: Ok So I was thinking could I just use chaos black thinned in the spray gun after a white primer? Or is there an alternative to foundation black paint? would this vallejo be ok in the spray gun http://www.warweb.com/black-model-air-p-18846.html?osCsid=a92854d8c397305e8821ab11409a65e3

ok so I guess I have a few options I guess.

I could also prime black. Then thin out a black paint and lightly paint over the models. Then prime all shoulder pads white, paint the inside black, and the trim red (since I want the red and black trim)

Or I could do the above and try to use the spray gun with chaos black thinned out? Or should I use a grey foundation paint (since its already pre measured to thin it out on the spray gun) over the blakc primed models, will it be dark enough. Orrrrrrr would mixing 2/3 grey and 1/3 black be ok to still use the standard thinning measure? Because this sounds a little easier, and I know everyone says another coat of paint will look much nicer

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
I do my Raven Guard as follows:

Prime black, with a thinned coat of chaos black applied afterwards to get a smoother finish.
Basecoat the bright parts (purity seals, eyes, pauldron rims, etc...) with Vallejo Ghost Grey.
Pick out the metallics with Boltgun metal, Vallejo Brassy Brass or Reaper Scorched Metal (for silver, gold and burnt metal, respectively).
Add my accent colour (Adeptus Battlegrey on weapons and various other bits for me).
Refine the metals with various other metallic paints as necessary, and add colours or more whites over the Ghost Grey.
Cleanup my work, then add washes and highlights.

You'll have no problems spraying the Vallejo Model Air black - the Model Air line is specifically designed to be airbrushed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

Wow thanks that was just the advice I needed. I'll get to detailing but I could also do this. Skull white for shoulder pads, Black primer for body, than as you said use Vallejo air black in the spray gun (I'm guessing I just have to mess around with the solution and settings) and add the extra coat to make it look nicer.

·
Shoop Da WAAAGH!
237 Posts
Righty ho, i know a very easy way of painting raven guard that takes no time whatsoever!

First of all prime them with chaos black.

Next coat the areas you want black in codex grey

then give it between 2-3 (perhaps 4 but this shouldnt be necessary)washes of badab black wash.

finally paint the trim with mechrite red and then go over it with blood red.

To paint the white give it a basecoat of astronomicon grey

then take some skull white and add some of the previous colour into it and paint it on, leaving the recesses the original colour.

finally highlight with skull white.
Job Done!

Hope that helps.
Spladge P

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Righty ho, i know a very easy way of painting raven guard that takes no time whatsoever!

First of all prime them with chaos black.

Next coat the areas you want black in codex grey

then give it between 2-3 (perhaps 4 but this shouldnt be necessary)washes of badab black wash.

finally paint the trim with mechrite red and then go over it with blood red.

To paint the white give it a basecoat of astronomicon grey

then take some skull white and add some of the previous colour into it and paint it on, leaving the recesses the original colour.

finally highlight with skull white.
Job Done!

Hope that helps.
Spladge P
hey does this sound easier/ quicker since I'd be using the spray gun for the grey.

revised
1.Prime with Chaos black
2.Touch up all the spots I missed with thinned Chaos Black
3. Use Citadel Spray gun with Adeptus Battle Grey Foundation Paint
4. Highlight areas with grey paint, but which grey?(joints, edges)
5. Use Citadel Black Wash paint (2 or three coats)
6. Re highlight areas
7. Add Detail (eyes, red to trim, other areas)
8. Paint Bolter with standard pattern)
9. Spray White Shoulder pads Seperately with Skull white, possibly another coat but in general Keep it like this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can always tell when someone primes the shoulder pads separately. I would take a bit more time and work up from either adeptus battlegrey or (and this is how I do my BT, very similar paint job to Raven Guard) Shadow Grey.

From shadow grey, go to 1:1 shadow grey/space wolves grey, then pure space wolves grey, then 1:1 space wolves grey/skull white, then pure skull white. On every layer, leave just a bit of the previous layer around the edges of the shoulder pad, which gives it a nice shading affect. This gives the white depth and character and looks a lot better than a sprayed white, imo.

Also, you can coat a black spray job with a coat of very thin badab black to give it depth, this is easy and looks good on my BT.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ironically, the most realistic way to paint black power armor is to make it very, very dark grey. That said, badab over sharadon granite looks...wrong, somehow. I think i is the hint of brown in the color, but I'm not sure. I've tried it on some chaos hounds, though, and it turned out horrible.

It might look solid on adeptus battlegrey, but I've never tried it. I do not have a lot of experience with the color (I work my whites up from either shadow grey or bestial brown).

I forgot an important step to making the armor look solid w/badab wash: do the wash AFTER your layered highlighting. After the thinned wash, put another round of dots of fortress grey just at the extreme tips of the armor ("nose" of the helmet, top of the backpack, perhaps the end of the foot depending on stance). If you want a picture of how this looks, go ahead and ask and I can pm you a link. Bear in mind, I am not the best painter in the world so you could likely do better, but you will get the idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.