Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am entering a small tournement (as in 500pts)

What do you think- Conscript Platoon or second inf. platoon?

Or somthing else?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
668 Posts

Or somthing else?

Thanks! :)
I know that conscripts are pretty well liked among lots of guard commanders, but I just don't like them. So of course, I'd say get yourself another platoon and a bunch more guns.

·
2,399 Posts

Or somthing else?

Thanks!
Need..more..details...

What are you going to do? what are the restrictions?

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Second what stayscrunchy said. We need more details!
Is it a CP tourney?
Are there limits on the FOC?
Do you prefer bodies on the ground or some vehicles?
Are vehicles allowed?
What's the rest of the list?
Give us a bit more detail and we may be able to help.

·
709 Posts
Assuming these are pretty stock missions, I'd go with a second infantry platoon. You have more scoring units available. Also, conscripts are designed as a quagmire for large, expensive units (like a carnifex for example). You won't see much of that in a 500 point game. While your conscripts may overwhelm a unit, it's going to take the better part of the game to do, and may leave you short handed for scoring or killing. Also, a a couple of extra plasma guns and heavy weapons will make the difference in a game that size.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm enetering a 500pts one next week as well.

Basically I have gone for HQ HSO (power sword) with Commissar and bolt pistol, psyker.

Platoon Command (no upgrades)

2 Infantry squads with HB's and grenade launchers.
1 Infantry Squad with flamer.
2 Sentinels with Autocannons.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2 troops and an Hq?

I'd imagine 3 Junior Officer Squads with 2 grenade launchers each
4 Troop Squads with Grenade Launcher/Missile Launcher

Thats 500 on the dot, lotsa anti-tank for 500pts and lotsa templates for troop killing

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are no restrictions (exept no special characters), and you have to follow the force organisation chart.

I was thinking

JO w/ power weapon, carpace, honorific, vox, grenade launcher

Platoon-
JO w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, carpace, vox, missal launcher
2 squads- each w/ heavy bolters, grenade launcher

Then either another inf. platoon or conscripts

I feel that in 500pts, the heaviest anti-tank weapon i would need would be missal launchers. the grenade launchers can deal with the rest.

I will be facing- Marines, Chaos, Tau, and possible 'nids

Thanks

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
I'm enetering a 500pts one next week as well.

Basically I have gone for HQ HSO (power sword) with Commissar and bolt pistol, psyker.

Platoon Command (no upgrades)

2 Infantry squads with HB's and grenade launchers.
1 Infantry Squad with flamer.
2 Sentinels with Autocannons.

Dude, ouch - i'd personally really change that command squad. At 500 points, I wouldn't go higher than a junior officer, and maybe 1 attached advisor if you absolutely must, for fluff or something. If you are worried about leadership, take a standard bearer - its more effective than a heroic senior officer, and a LOT cheaper. And that means more plasma or heavy weapons!

Besides, i'm not too sure the list you have given is legal - remember, unless the tourney specifies otherwise, at 500 points you still need 2 troops choices, and there's only one that I can see there.

There are no restrictions (exept no special characters), and you have to follow the force organisation chart.

I was thinking

JO w/ power weapon, carpace, honorific, vox, grenade launcher

Platoon-
JO w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, carpace, vox, missal launcher
2 squads- each w/ heavy bolters, grenade launcher

Then either another inf. platoon or conscripts

I feel that in 500pts, the heaviest anti-tank weapon i would need would be missal launchers. the grenade launchers can deal with the rest.

I will be facing- Marines, Chaos, Tau, and possible 'nids

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about the honorifica imperialis - take a standard bearer instead. Statistically, a standard at ld 8 is much more effective than ld 9 without one. Also, a lot cheaper. I also wouldn't bother giving him carapace armour, and i'd scrap the vox network too. Remember, sure, he has more wounds, but he's an independant character with toughness 3, and those extra wounds and equipment aint gonna do squat against anything that wants to be in hth with him.
So yeah, all of these things are close to useless at 500 points (the vox is only really usefull in larger, more spread out games), and you can instead take other stuff elsewhere that will be much better.

As for anti tank, you are probably correct about the missile launchers. I'd be tempted to take a 50/50 mix of autocannons and missile launchers, however - most vehicles in small games will be armour 10 light vehicles, and an autocannon is better at taking those out than an IG missile launcher.

Also, dont forget to look at doctrines, especially the free ones. A guard army is incredibly cramped at 500 points, what with still having to take 2 troops choices, and you need all the advantages you can get. Sure, you will be limiting what units you can choose, but at 500 points you wont take most stuff anyway.

Close order drill, drop troops, etc... You dont have to use them, but if you include them in your army list you will always have the option! Also VERY good at 500 points is the grenadiers option, as they can become a strong troops choice. (very versatile, frag and krak, and targeters!) You can even just take 5 of them with 2 plasma guns, if you want, to take out at the last moment that single cheese unit your odd opponent might actually manage to fit in his own list. Much cheaper than another infantry platoon/conscript platoon.

If you take that path, you might even be able to fit in some armour yourself, like a chimera, one of the best vehicles at such a low points value, sit back and blast away with reasonable armour and 6 shots per turn. Or if you want to be nasty, take a basilisk without indirect fire! Or a couple of bare bones sentinels with multilasers (or even heavy flamers). And dont forget you can deep strike sentinels if you take drop troops! And its FREE! :) And dont fear difficult terrain - only impassible terrain is dangerous to drop troops.

So yeah, play around a little with less orthadox methods - you might find something that suits you!

·
Registered
610 Posts
You're right Cadaver Junkie it's not legal I can't use my armoured fist without the Chimera. Besides looking at it I wasn't impressed anyway. It sucks even by my standards.

So instead:

HSO with power weapon.

Infantry Platoon with 2 squads incl heavy bolters and grenade launchers.

Conscript Platoon 2 squads with flamers (which gives me an excuse to do something with my left over Cadian sprues and create some room).

Independent Commissar with bolt pistol (to lead conscripts).

one Sentinel with autocannon.

Iron discipline.

I have points left over I'm thinking perhaps either vox up the army or plasma weapon on the Commissar. Would close order drill be any use either?

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Would close order drill be any use either?

Close order drill is always worth taking if you have a spare doctrine. Just because you've chosen it doesn't mean you have to use it, and if you go up against someone without blast templates you're laughing! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.