Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, i kinda left warhammer for about two years and have decided to blow off the dust from my models and start collecting again. Im kinda new to all the "new rules" so i was looking for some help to build up a 1500pt woodelf army. Looking mostly to avoid combat, pick my battles and blacken the sky with arrows :) but mostly to run circles around them.
This is what im looking into so far...

Heros

1x Lv2 Spellsinger, 2x dispel scroll 187.pt
Elven steed.

1x Nobel, Wardancer, Moonstone 135pt.
of the hidden ways.

Core:

5x Glade Riders, full comm. 156pt.

Special:

10x Wardancer, full comm. 201pt.

5x Warhawk Riders.

5x Wild Ride, Full comm. 166pt.

Rare

6x waywatchers.

Total pts = 1345pt.

This leaves me with 155 points to play around with. Im not sure if i should add another unit of 5 Gladeriders without a muscian or if i should pick another hero, maybe a nobel on steed to join one of the units of gladeriders with Haild of Doom Arrow. Or if i should add a small group of glade gards to act as a "come towards my 'battle line' as Bait" so it would make flanking easier with my fast cavery/warhawlks. Hmm come to think of it, this is a very anouying march blocking army.

Need some help and your opinion would be great :)

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
yikes
1x Lv2 Spellsinger, 2x dispel scroll I don't think magic is worth it unless you overload on it, especially at this point level. If you're dying to have magic defense, just make him a level 1
Elven steed.

1x Nobel, Wardancer, Moonstone 135pt.think you may have added his points up wrong, I'd check, I think you're 5 under
of the hidden ways.

Core:

5x Glade Riders, full comm. these guys are not combat troops and if their bows kill anything, you'll be lucky. Drop everything but the musician. What happened to "blacken[ing] the sky with arrows"? You don't even have any glade guard, which are the only way to get a decent amount of shooting from any WE list

Special:

5x Warhawk Riders. these guys suck royally. They die just as easy as a glade guard except they cost nearly 3x as much. The game has changed, in my opinion, you're wasting points here.
5x Wild Ride, Full comm. warbanner works well hereRare

6x waywatchers. 144pt.

Total pts = 1345pt.

For a mobile list, a wild rider noble could work as well. But I'd probably get some glade guard and drop the warhawk riders for dryads, treekin, almost anything else. Our core is some of the best in the game, but you only took 2 units of glade riders (I love GR, but they'll die too quickly if you don't have anything else to shoot at.
Welcome back to WHFB. I hope I didn't sound too harsh, a lot of this is my own opinion, but it comes from my experience with the frail and flighty version of tree elves. If you look at the new books that have come out, WE are going to have to step it up to stay competative with HE, VC and some of the newer incarnations. They are an excellent army, but take a lot of finesse to play well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the help :) and hahah yeah i just double checked then and noticed i miss calculated on the nobel, my bad :p well hmm the whole hit and run looks interesting but with that many points per model im not sure if they will do me more good than harm when push comes to shove.
But for now i guess the army list would look more like...

Heros

1x Lv1 Spellsinger, 1x dispel scroll 127.pt
Elven steed.

1x Nobel, Wardancer, Moonstone 140pt.
of the hidden ways.

Core:

10x Glade Guards 120pt.

5x Glade Riders, musician. 129pt.

5x Glade Riders, musican. 129pt.

Special:

3x Warhawk Riders. 120pt. (act more as march blockers and flank aid)

5x Wild Ride, Full comm. with warbanner 191pt.

Rare

6x waywatchers. 144pt.

Total Points 1301

This leaves me with 199 pts to play with, any advise?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would go for another unit of 10 glade guard. If I we're you I would drop one unit of Glade riders and take some Dryads instead, because one unit of glade riders is plenty especially since you have some wild riders, wich are expensive but very good.

·
4,361 Posts
A couple units of 8 dryads never hurts. I would probably switch a unit of glade riders for glade guard as well. And a 6th wild rider in the unit is also good, wardancers might be a little heavy.

My 2 cents,

SirKently

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Hi - it's me again. A lot of what I tell is purely dependant on what type of opponents you face. Most of our club plays a somewhat balanced list (some of the guys are always in preparation for some kind of tournament ) I never know who I'm going to play before I show up, so I like to have a balanced, "all comers" list

Elves are wimps in the toughness department, so having all elves is really tough to do
1x Lv1 Spellsinger, 1x dispel scroll 127.pt
Elven steed.Unless you have the coolest model that you're dying to use on this guy, I would make a branchwraith, lvl1 with cluster of radiants and maybe annoyance ofnetlings as your magic defense/offense

of the hidden ways.

Core:

10x Glade Guards 120pt. get 2 of these

5x Glade Riders, musican. 129pt. I like having 2 of these units, even though everyone else thinks 1 is enough

I would add 2 units of 8 dryads to your core - good screeners, they can take magic and shooting in stride, they cause fear, and when they go up against small units, they usually come out victorious
Special:

10x Wardancer, full comm. 201pt.7-8 will probably do the same thing. You can only get 7 in combat at a time on the front and with a noble, you may not have room for all that many guys.

3x Warhawk Riders. 120pt. (act more as march blockers and flank aid) I'd use a great eagle instead (or just clip off one of the guys.

5x Wild Ride, Full comm. with warbanner 191pt.6 with a warbanner has won me many a combat

Rare

6x waywatchers. 144pt.
what you don't have in your army is forest spirits. They seem to hit harder and last longer than any of the other units (get more bang for the buck) I only play 2250 so some of my numbers may be off but I always take 2 units of dryads, 2 units of glade guard and 2 units of glade riders. In a 1500pt game you probably can't afford all of it, but you'll find them to be very useful I think. I like my treekin too, they are expensive and maybe that's why you're not running them in a small game, but you may think about trying them at least. If you're not facing a lot of heavy duty magic users, I'd almost be tempted to not run any magic defense and take another noble, maybe an alter with HoDA and helm of the hunt or stone of crystal mere however you like it. Then you would have 2 good shooters, good, fast hitters, baiters/harassers and some decent leaders to smack the enemy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank you for the advice buckero0 :) it really did help, so im kinda looking more towards an army list like...

Heros

of the hidden ways.

1x Brabchwraith, Lv1 mage, with cluster
of radiants, & Annoyance of nettings 165pt

Core:
10x Glade Guards, with musican 126pt

10x Glade Guards with musician 126pt.

8x Dryads 96p.

5x Glade Riders, musican. 129pt.

Special:

7x Wardancer, full comm. 147pt.

5x Wild Ride, Full comm. with warbanner 191pt.

Rare

5x waywatchers. 120pt.

Total Pnts 1369pts

This is where i am stuck, see with the left over points i can add another unit of 8 dryads and add a few other units here and there to what i already have, (extra waywatcher abd rider to make them 6 each) OR i can get a alter nobelwith HoDA, the extraunit of dryads will come in hand but i dont know if they will be strong enough compared to the nobel. ??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take a extra wild rider, 6 is the best number for WR. Also take another unit of dryads. You could also take another noble with HoDA(I just love that arrow). Still I would drop a unit of glade riders, adn take what I've listed above.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Your last list is a big improvement over the other two. My personal preference would be to drop the War Dancer noble. That unit will kill a lot even without him. I'd rather have an alter with the HoDA and Helm of the Hunt (along with great weapon, lt armor, shield). He can add to combats, even partnering with the wardancers if you want. Just keep him near them. Plus, he can carry the HoDA, which is to Wood Elves what the Book of Arkhan is to Vampire Counts.

Also, how often are you going to get to use the Moonstone. Trust me, it's a great item and it can be a lot fun to watch your opponent's jaw drop when you teleport across the board. But you can't guarantee that you're going to get any woods, and you've got wasted points on a character.

If you make that change, the branchwraith will be your general, which is good, as the Annoyance will keep her alive more often than not, meaning no VPs to the enemy for killing your general.

As for the HoDA, it doesn't have to be on an alter. You can keep him very cheap with the HoDA, lt armor, and a shield and just plop him with the EG.

Also, make sure you read the army list posting rules (should be at the top of the army list section) about posting point costs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
DavidVC04, I want to ask you something: When you say partnering with wardancers, do you mean join the unit, because that's impossible. If you mean just walk near them and charge the same unit as the wardancers, then you can see this post as not written:happy:.

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
DavidVC04, I want to ask you something: When you say partnering with wardancers, do you mean join the unit, because that's impossible. If you mean just walk near them and charge the same unit as the wardancers, then you can see this post as not written:happy:.
I bet he just meant to coordinate attacks.

As for the left over points. To summarize what others have suggested. Add a WR and another dryad squad. This leaves you with 9 pts.

I'd also change the wardancer noble to the config recommended above. I wouldn't make him an alter though because if he's hitting with a gw then his initiative doesn't matter (I7 is great anyway). The movement is good but not necessary (you have long range with the bow). Having that extra attack might not be worth 25pts, especially since your noble is fair game for shooting. With the couple extra points left over add a dryad champ to support your branchwraith's squad.

If you want to keep the wardancer noble swap the stone for the magic blades.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ok, thanks for the explination. If I we're you, I would drop the wardancer noble, or at least his moonstone and take the blades of Loec. I agree with DavidCV04, the best is taking an alter noble, with HoDA and Helm of the hunt(+GW,LA,SH). If you charge with you're alter, you would get 4A at S6 with WS7, wich is very good, tough I do reccomend to charge with a unit to accompany him(or he will probably lose by the ranks, banner etc.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.