Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm newish to fantasy battles - used to play it and 40k when I was littler and getting back into it with 8th edition.

I need help in choosing what to add to the list to make it approx 2000 pts. (able to play 1500 and 2250 as well..) I have an army picked out for 1400 pts (its a nice number for my guys because it allows me to give very little in terms of items and use all my troops). What do you suggest adding/changing to my list to get to 2000 and be somewhat competitive. I know one of my main opponents where I play will be dwarfs so keep that in mind...

Current List of all troops:

Lords: none, 0%

Heroes: 5, 24.91%

Night Goblin Shaman x 3

Night Goblin Big Boss (BSB)
Light Armour
Shield
Spider Banner

Orc Bigboss (General)
Boar
Shield
Light Armour
Choppa

Core: 6, 66.48%

18 Orc Boyz
2 Choppas
Light Armou
Standard Bearer
Musician

16 Orc Arrer Boyz
Light Armour
Choppa
Bow

18 Orc Boyz
Light Armour
Shield
Spear
Standard Bearer
Musician

20 Night Goblins
Boss
Musician
Standard Bearer
Short Bows

60 Night Goblins (Night Gobbo Big Boss joins this unit usually..)
Boss
Musician
Standard Bearer
Shield
Spear
Fanatics x 2

10 Gobbo Spider Riders
Boss
Standard Bearer
Musician
Spear
Shield

Special: 1, 5.74%

Boar Chariot

Rare: 1, 2.88%

Troll

Total Pts: 1393

As of now I use my 60 horde block of gobbos to take hits until my other units get in range. The poison attacks let them do serious damage since they can fight in 4 ranks (2 for spear, 1 for support, 1 extra for horde) and get a ton of attacks.. b/c of 3 shaman my other units are usually in range pretty quick anyway (#5 spell on little casting table a lot) and when they can't move my troops forward a bit more I use their missile to take out cannons/machine/the like. Against dwarfs I'm afraid the 3 shaman will be all but neutralized...

Would it be better to put spider banner in bow unit? I was thinking spear unit so that when the WS4 T4 dwarfs are in CC with me I can wound easier...
Should I get Doom Divers or Bolt Throwers?
I'm trying to decide between more Boar Boyz (to add my big boss to the unit) and/or another chariot.
And lastly I was thinking Grimgor for lords..

Where to from here ladz?

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Hi Err-t

I have some suggestions based on the knowledge you're facing dwarfs.
You are right about most points you allready state, dwarf dispelbonus neutralises shamans and those night goblin spearmenhordes can be awesome.

Let me warn you that im less experienced with orcish infantry and i might underestimate those on a large scale.

- Dwarfs hate all greenskins, yet only our night goblins hate them back. so the 60 night goblin spearmen get to re-roll attacks. Orcs do not.
- Trolls are AWESOME!!! units of 3/5/6 basic trolls can break lines. People totally underestimate them. Unless he's mad enough to bring a flamecannon... but nobody does that... right?

- Best choices against Dwarfs: The Doom Diver and a small squig (10). Both are lacking in the list.
Divah's go through the toughest of dwarfs, , these are not just good against dwarfs though.
Squig herds dont run from a bit of fire and with a bit of tactical manevering these guys end up amongst the enemy ranks first and when they blow up (keep away from your orcs) they take out a bunch of dwarfs worth more than the unit.

- To effectively counter the dwarfs dispel bonus, all you have to do is bring a better wizard. A lvl 3 shaman has +3 to cast, while the dwarfs only start with +2. also throwing alot of dice tends to go for irresistable force.
- I only like orcs in large numbers. 25 ish, because then they get to give you extra casting dice for being in combat. Id go so far as to say your 16 arrer boyz are going to stink against dwarfs :p
- about boar boyz VS. chariot. The chariot is cheaper, doesnt have to roll animosity and is more reliable when you want it to hunt war machines. Boar boyz are not bad either, if you have the points

There it is! My 2 cents.
Good luck facing those fatbellies

·
Registered
194 Posts
b"h
Against dwarves you will have to make a lot of panic tests, so I would take a warboss as general.
Taking 3 level 1 wizards mean you know only 3 spells, so it is only 3 spells per turn, I don't realy think you will need them.
Also consider using your own warmacines to take his. A hit from a roc lobber can kill a warmachine, and a hit from a bolt thrower also have a fair chance to harm it. Orcs&goblins have realy cheap war machines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Updates..

Alright here is what I'm thinking slash a bit more explanation.. Again, feel free to comment/recomment...

I've been thinking doom diver for a long time - this just confirms I need one. What do ya'll think about adding a rock lobber and doom diver?

What if I up my orc bigboss to a warboss, as well as up one shaman to a level 3 i.e. gobbo great shaman?

As for the Arrer boyz, originally I was thinking they would be a suprise CC group. In other words, march them up (the enemy thinking they are useless/not gonna charge) and then when I charge with their choppas and get +1 strength I can yell "SUPRISE!!".. but on second thought the cost is not worth it since getting rid of them pay for another war machine..

Then maybe add 2 more normal Trolls for a squad of three..

Throw in some magic items and call it a day?

I like keeping my boyz (2 chops and spears) because it creates more blocks of troops and therefore more things he has to worry about (as well as more power hitting charges esp with the 2chops). I feel like that is important vs. cannons/organ guns.. but again, i have no idea and could be entirely incorrect in that logic..

I'm iffy on the squig herds only b/c I feel like that could turn badly on my own troops very quickly w/ a couple failed (or 6's) on animosity.. or for other reasons I don't even know about.. I'm thining that instead of going squig herds I'll up my two boyz units to 25 ( spears) and 30 (2 chops) and make the 2 choppas bigunz. That should get me large groups of orcs with lots of attacks... Even a couple shots from an organ gun won't take 'em down.. (unless 2 10s hit and wound... that'd suck.. but what are the odds of 2 10s in a row right?)

Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts