Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am wanting to build a Tomb King chariot / cavalry list. Yes I understand there is a lot of info inside this forum about just that but most is "hey what do you think" kind of stuff without a lot of definitive results.

I would really appreciate it if the experienced Tomb King players of this sort of list respond with their suggestions, tactics against specific races, and general strategies.

Thank you in advanced for your help,
Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chariots are good, but your Liches can't ride 'em. Lt Horse is usuable, but the Hv horse is despised. You will need to take non-horse driven units or your army may be to soft. Ushabti are slower, but can go straight in while your faster chariots and possibley horses can charge into flanks.

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
First off, you'll have to use a King :) Fill your core with Chariots.

I would spend some points on at least one unit of Tomb Guards to get the reliable regiment on the battlefield.

It's really hard to say much more when I do not know which units you like etc... You cannot build the whole Army with core units only, so I would need some notes of how you would "like" to play your TK :)

If you add it, I'll try to help you out tomorrow ;)

//Naggy

·
Registered
294 Posts
General strategy:

Broadly speaking, lists that are too heavily weighted in favour of chariots and cav tend to be a bit hit and miss in terms of effectiveness. They will obliterate some opponents but fail utterly against others (particularly those that have access to a number of strength 7 attacks). Because TK units are generally a pretty mediocre bunch in terms of stats, we really need to get as much support and synergy as possible out of our units in order for our armies to be truly effective. It is for this reason that the 'balanced' lists tend to be a great deal more effective (and hence more common) than the settra-esque type lists. Your overall strategy should be dictated -at least in part- by the specific list you are using, but there are a couple of general principles that will usually stand you in good stead:

Do not use heavy cav. Ever.

Light cav are best used as a bunker for a priest (often with SoRav) and as 5 man redirection/harrying units. They are especially valuable when used in combination with your chariots to make sure you -and not your opponent- are the one who can get that all important charge off (let me know if you don't know how to do this and I'll explain how it's done).

Use your chariots as a counter attacking force that charges into the flanks of units engaged with your anvil blocks. Although you can sometimes use your chariots as a stand alone hammer thanks (mainly) to their impact hits, your army will be much more effective as a whole if you combine these with a goodly amount of static CR from a big block of troops.

A unit of chariots that is led by a prince or king is markedly more effective and can usually be relied upon to get the job done without too much in the way of support (don't push your luck if you can avoid it though because you will generally have 400+ pts invested in such a unit). Even without a character, chariots can often take down units in a frontal charge if they are set up right, but you'll need to pick your targets with more care because if your chariots don't break the opposing unit on the charge then they're doomed. That is without a doubt the golden rule of chariot strategy.

Tricks of the trade

There are a number of cool tactics and tricks you can use here. Aside from the one I mentioned earlier with the light cav, some of my favourites include unmasking, double tapping with IotSE, and avoiding counter charges (usually with a scorp). Some of these are quite involved though so let me know if you need me to elaborate on any of those.

Recommended lists (and a good place to look for a few more ideas & suggestions):

I've added a couple of links below for you to check out bud. These are both quite balanced armies actually (rather than being all out chariot/cavalry armies). Most of the lists that start out as you described tend to evolve into more balanced lists like these over time as their authors discard superfluous elements in favour of more effective ones.

The first link is for the 2250 pt list Harry Dixon used to win the New Zealand national tournament back in April. It uses 3 chariot units and 2 units of light cav so it would be a great place to start as a kind of template for your own list. Bear in mind that the Kiwis use army composition as a scoring element in their tournaments though so you might want to tinker with it a little if that isn't an issue for you (there is no DoE or casket for example).

Tomb Kings of Khemri Forum -> Tomb Kings At The Nz National Tournament

This next one is for Grimmtus' chariot heavy list (and a rather good one it is too). It's actually a 2k list so you'll still have a few points left to play with.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tomb-kings-army-lists/182001-2-000-chariots-list.html

Hopefully there should be plenty there for you to get your teeth into bud. If you are looking for something more in depth (particularly with regards to individual races) then you may need to ask a more specific question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nagash,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been a little more descriptive on what I like. On the 40K side I play an all marine bike army. In real life I am a former tanker/Cavalry soldier. I want this TK army to be as much chariots and cav as possible and still be an army with a chance of winning on occasion.

I have been told a few times I needed to add a tank of some sort or a couple of squads of infantry to my bikes but that would ruin the theme.

So the big thing for me is lots of chariots, lots of cavalry, catapults, maybe a bunch archers. Ok, granted me being extremely new to FB if I have to take some sort of infantry then so be it. AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!!!!

OH!!! THe target size is a 2500 point tourny to be played this February. Building has already started. a 2250 version is valued too.

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
From what I can see right now, you want an army with abilities to outmaneuvre your enemy, right?

Quick Guide (I'm really in lack of time right now, but I'll try to make this as detailed as possible ;)):
Use a Tomb King. Field all your core choices as Chariots (4 each with no upgrades is recommended). Field One unit of Carrions to march block. Field one unit of Tomb Guards with Icon of Rakaph (This unit will cost much, don't worry about it) and put your King with them, on foot. Field a Prince, mounted on a chariot. Field Two scorps. Field one SSC and a Casket or one SSC and a BG (if you want some fun). Field two priests. It's pretty much all you need to begin with :)

If you look for a more specific answer, just ask! :dance:

//Nagash

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Do not use heavy cav. Ever.
Oh, i dunno... if you really want a list based around Cav and Chariots, then i think you can afford one unit. Assuming youll have no skellies, then you need numbers somewhere, so consider this:

Heavy Cav unit, 12-14 models in 2 ranks, with Music and Banner. Add in a magic banner (BotUL or Warbanner are the most common here. Assuming you have a Chariot unit with one and this unit with the other then give the chariots the Warbanner).

So, that nets you a unit with Unit Strength 24 for 12 models, not bad :) 6 S4 attacks on the chrge.. not amazing but not bad, then some more from the horses too. An extra one and a challenge option if you take a Champ too :)

In terms of tactics, use them similar to a Chariot unit, except put their numbers (US) to use in combat, possibly able to front charge a large enemy unit... although dont hold me to that :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.