Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm having some problems taking down my friends Bloodthirster. Nothing I'm trying has been able to take it down. I tried a hidden powerfist, the whole squad died before I could hurt it. I tried a Librarian's Force Weapon, he gets a 2+ Invulnerable save against psychic powers. I tried loads of Lascannons, I can't wound it enough before it flies over and rips the squad or tank apart. I tried Terminators, they all died before they could attack. Everything else in the Daemon army I've been able to handle, but this thing is ridiculous. Any suggestions?

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
Ahh, its one of those days. lol.
Firstly, poor you, taking on a bloodthirster. I presume its a friend that you play against regularly that fields that monstrosity. Easiest way to beat it is with a stick while your friend isnt looking. Admitted, he might not be impressed afterwards, but it'd feel good =)

Seriously though, the T6 on that beast will be giving almost everying headaches when it comes to wounding, so field a lot of high strength, long range weapons like autocannons, las cannons, kraks from missile launchers and plasma cannons. Heck i think you can fire hunter-killer missiles at the thing from your vehicles for that extra S8 hit that forces it to use its invun save! Sniper rifles will also help, always wounding on a 4+ at 36inch. Chances are 10 snipers should be able to dish out a single unsaved wound per round. With any luck you might even pin the beast! The one thing you have to do is stay out of close combat with it unless your planning on holding it up for a round to let your shooters do more damage.

I would personally pour every round i could into that beast until it fell, regardless of what else was coming my way - it is by far the most dangerous thing your opponent would be fielding!

Best of luck against this heretic my friend - keep us updated on how your quest goes =)

CR

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Not the worst that could happen...

You should be a lot more worried if he had 4x heralds of khorne. But anyway:

As a Chaos player, realistically you can beat it with a standard unit of marines, with another unit (almost any unit) helping, as, realistically, they aint that hard. So for example, take a marine unit with a lascannon/plasma gun. Rapid fire the plasma gun, and the lascannon fire, then combined with the bolters that should be 2 wounds. Thats half your job done. Then get some other help (snipers, lascannon pred, land raider, something like that) then the power fist should do it.

Note: Only charge it with 10 man squads.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
10 marines with a PF and a support squad can knock it out. For better results use the Librarian power that re-rolls passed invulnerables (the best against Daemons) and a backup unit with PF to finish the job.

A LS Storm can also disrup Daemons by messing with scatter.

Missile Launchers do a great job and they are cheap and plentiful.

Try feeding it a sacrifice squad of 5 marines, watch it destroy them, and be exposed to your entire army's shooting next turn.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
If you're not opposed to calling in some specialized help, you might try some allied Grey Knights. A GK hero with a Terminator Retinue is one of the most powerful units the game has, and when it comes to killing Daemons, they're the best there is.

This is a squad of WS5, S6 Termies with access to Daemon-killer Psycannons and Incinerators, automatic psyker resistance and fearless, that drops Daemon WS and Initiative, has psyker powers that can totally repel daemons or give the character re-rolls against them with a Thunder Hammer that strikes at Initiative order, can potentially have a S6 Force Weapon, and even have access to gear that makes them totally immune to any and all forms of Psyker powers.

My own squad has been known to reliably chew through a Greater Daemon (of any variety) in one or two turns, no problem. And since this is a pure Daemon force, you can afford to use the esoteric anti-Daemon stuff because you know there's loads of Daemons!

...Or there's always the Purgation squad - basically a quad HB Dev squad, replace the HB's with Psycannons (stronger, no invulnerable saves, and they have an assault mode), make the Marines GK's, and replace the bolters with a wall of Storm Bolters. What your HB Devs do to Gaunts, these guys do to Daemons. And they're even better in a fight, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
one unit I found useful against greater daemons and monstruous creatures is Land Speeder Tornado. Two of those managed to take out a bloodthirster in a single turn (I'm talking about a chaos marine list, if its a chaos daemons list it should take about 2-3 turns). Speeder is fast and the weapons have a good range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts