Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I recently bought white gw spray, and I went out in the cold (about 10 degrees) to spray my models, and the spray was horrible, it left a "cracked" appearance on some models, while on others it looked like it was too watered down and was very uneven...could this be due to the cold, or is it just another one of games workshops products that have screwed me over? i did use gw's older white spray a week earlier in similar conditions and had no problems

·
Registered
279 Posts
Shake it for like 2 minutes before use. I heard from someone that he kept his spray under the pillow for like 20 minutes before use also. Also you won't get a good result with just one layer, srpay like 2-3 times. That's how I do it and it works lovely. Even in cold conditions. Some spraycans can be garbage aswell so that might be the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never used the GW primer, but have heard from several different people that it seems that the primer is iffy at best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i've never had a problem with the primer. I have heard of cold temperatures being an issue for priming jobs. There is a recomended range of temperatures for use of the spray can, on the spray can itself. I think if you look at that it will have the minimum temperature well above ten degrees

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh no... I feel sorry for you mate.... GW's white primer is ATROCIOUS! The white cracking? is entirely no fault of your own, or had to do with temperature. Its a known phenomenon in the odd can of just their white primer. It cakes over, cracks and conceals all details right? Happened to me on a basilisk and parts of a baneblade, they're still sitting in super clean now, and it still won't even strip off.... Best of luck, I hope you didn't spray anything expensive!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rules of Priming, and spray painting..

1) Go to the Hardware store and buy WHITE PRIMER. (Better results than GW primer, and less expensive)
2) Don't spray in extreme cold.(The paint will harden in the air causing cracks)
3) Don't spray with a lot of visible moisture in the air. (The paint will bubble)

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for the replies, i concluded that i will try a non-gw primer and see if it works in the cold on a test subject, and if not i will just have to wait until spring...there isn't really another option living in minnesota!

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you have a garage, spray in there.

What I do in the winter is spray right outside my sliding glass door with the heat there.
That's a good idea, i usually do my priming in the garage, and if it was done in the winter i suggest putting a space heater out there to heat it up a little bit, or something that will help with the cold. Just make sure the garage door is open obviously, but as previously said temperature for GW sprays can definitely mess with the results so maybe just try and heat the room up a bit more before doing it. Best of luck

·
Schemer
481 Posts
I have tried GW white primer myself and the results where inconsistent. I am not surprise to see you have this kind of problem. Lately I have had a lot of success with a P3 white primer (Privateer Press).

As for priming during cold winter, first make sure there isn't a lot of wind. Snow might get on the mini and spraying will be hard to control. Now, forget about priming whole unit in one shot. Take only one model, pin it on top of something (old paint pots) go outside and prime it. You just hold it in the air with one hand and use the primer in the other one. Once you're satisfied, get the model inside and pick another one. The process should take 1 min. maxium. That's how I do my priming in the winter and I have done it successfully at temperature around -20 celcius (without wind factor...).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I usually NEVER have problems priming.. until last night.
I decided to prime in my garage (insulated) with the door open. I prime inside of a very heavy duty cardboard box (shipping container) with 3 walls and an open top/front to spray in. It was about... 15 degrees outside when I was priming. Immediately after I finished priming, i took that box inside the garage, in the corner, in front of my car, and next to a big furnace setup we have (where I ALWAYS leave my models to dry after priming). I woke up this morning, and there were cracked spots.. spots where it looked like the primary just "sat" instead of settling against the model.
I don't ever use the GW primer.. I was using "Armoury Primer" that I always use... that I keep in the house, at room temperature...

Not really sure what happened. I know it dropped to about 10-below last night, so that might have been a factor, but that has never caused this problem before. This can is about.. 4 months old, so I don't think it's the paint being old. I shook the can for about 4 minutes (roughly) before I primed. Who knows... either way, I have to sand that primer off of a couple of those models and try again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts