Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of starting an imperial guard cadian army, yet i do not want to have just stock standard imperial guardsmen.
What i was thinking of was like a regiment of imperial guard that dont follow the rules of the imperium and jst fight for themselves, rambo style, thats all i have, very general, just wondering if any of you can help.

And it would be really useful if any of you could give me ideas on how to convert these guard,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i realise, but i prefer the cadian look and battle damage. So do you have any idea on how to achieve that look and feel with cadians? i could also use a converted marbo as cadians with differant name,

·
Registered
961 Posts
Why not just make them mercenaries and kitbash them out of mixed catachans and cadian parts? Throw in the odd eldar, tau, and ork bit for flavor, either as a trophy or as actual equipment. Greenstuff bandannas, armbands, cloaks, whatnot. For painting, mix colors for armor and fatigues in the squad - say, cadian colors for one, elysian for another. Just make to base them the same so they're reasonably unified looking on the tabletop. Or you could do a greenstuffed armband of the same color for them all. You can also convert some lasguns into autoguns - anything to make the force look rag-tag is good.

Even better, Mercenaries are practically more common than IG or PDF in the Imperium, and can be reasonably justified to be fighting alongside virtually everybody, and against everyone.

More on topic, battle damage is hard - reasonably speaking, wounded troopers won't be fighting, and won't be seen. You can paint on cuts and laser scarring on the models, perhaps greenstuff bandages. There's an arm on the Cadian Command Squad Sprue that has it in a sling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the idea of that, anyone have any insperation on the background? So I like the armband idea, so tie the army together in those ways, and leave the remains of their imperial days on their armour, squad markings occasionally scraped and dirtied.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
You could run them as an IG regiment that was disbanded and went freelance, or maybe a mercenary group made up of various former guardsmen. There are plenty of mercenaries in the 40k universe; they just don't make it to the tabletop because they're not usually in large enough numbers for proper warfare.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ne idea how the guardsmen got disbanded?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Generally, the Munitorum doesn't disband regiments, but merges them together to form new, at-strength ones, or if they're at a high proportion of their original strength, just sends them off to the next war. If one were to be disbanded, it'd probably at a negligible proportion of it's former strength, with no available or suitable regiment nearby (or worth the effort) to merge them into - at which point the guardsmen tend to be dumped on whatever planet they're on at the time. PDF, on the other hand, tend to have set lengths of service, and given the state of the Imperium, can rack up considerable combat experience on their own, though they tend to be ill-supplied and ill-trained by comparison to the Imperial Guard.

However, there's also a thriving black market, so gear intended for a field regiment could easily end up in the hands of a mercenary outfit, especially one financed by a powerful noble group, trader family, etc. They'd also be better at gathering former guardsmen or PDF to serve as an elite core or nucleus for mercs or personal guards.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Here's another idea for how your mercs formed:

The Munitorum sometimes gives regiments "Rights of Settlement" when they really prove themselves in conquering a world. So let's say your regiment conquered Planet A, distinguished themselves, and got the Rights. Therefore they settle down, and have just begun to establish themselves.

Then, a mere two years later, a cataclysmic event takes place (comet hits the planet, sun goes nova, previous unknown geological fault destroys planet, etc) that completely obliterates the planet. Not just wipes out all life, but blows the planet to bits. There is however some warning, and some of the former guardsmen are able to evacuate.

Now you have retired Guardsmen, without a home, who only know how to fight. So they become mercenaries, fighting for the highest bidder. As time goes on, their losses are replenished by deserters and other similarly abandoned Guardsmen, which gives you the mixed-regiment feeling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
like it, jst need to write a little, Planet TBC was traditionally an ___ homeworld, not eldar, cause i also collect them, it cant be imperium because at the time, thye are still guard, tyranids live below the earth, and necrons live down there too, so they are both harder to completely whipe out of a planet without destroying the planet so that means probally Tau? then i need an epic scale fight against the odds,

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
like it, jsrt need to write a little, Planet TBC was traditionally an ___ homeworld, not eldar, cause i also collect them, it cant be imperium because at the time, the are still guard, tyranids live below the earth, and necrons live down there too, so that means probally Tau? then i need an epic scale fight against the odds,
What was that about Eldar? I'm a little confused. Not a Maiden World, perhaps? Tyranids live in space ships, not underground. Necrons are stored underground, and technically speaking aren't "alive".

Besides, there are other things besides war that can render a planet uninhabitable. Like Marius said, it's entirely possible that a natural disaster on an epic scale blew the world sky-high.

Perhaps there was a terrorist that got his hands on some classified exterminatus bomb, burrowed it into the planet, and the Imperial Guard from that planet only got back in time to watch the fireworks. Somewhere along the lines their existence got misfiled and so they are effectively rogue - noone wants to deal with them, thinking that the real one was destroyed and that this force is trying to impersonate an Imperial force, so your force went rogue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what im saying is that the world gets blown high sky yes, but i wanna write a bit of story behind how the guard got there, so invading a world, and i was saying not an eldar world asi dnt wanna kill em cuz i also play eldar, so i sugggested an imperial army invading a tau world, wiping them out, granted rights to settle there, them discovering that there is a disaster of catistrophic proportions emevitable, they salvage all they can and abbandon the world, the imperium counts them dead, yet they are floating the universe as mercenaries,

Just wanna expand on that a bit.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Ok, it's a former Tau world. Let's say that the world is geologically unstable due to wildly fluctuating convection currents underneath the thin crust, and only the advanced Tau tech was able to keep the planet's tectonic plates from constantly breaking apart and reforming. The Guard, having beaten the Tau, settle the world. Unfortunately, during the conflict the Tau machines suffer some form of slight damage, one that gets worse and worse as the machines continue to function without maintenance. Two years later, the strain becomes too much, and they explode, which sets off a chain reaction that amplifies the world's natural instability, soon causing it to rip itself to pieces.

Maybe call the planet Legis Plagiarus, which is latin for "Unstable Planet".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The story of the Legis Lost

Imperial rule commanded that the 153rd and 159th regiments of the Imperial Forces invaded and controlled planet 196-B also known as "Legis Plagiarus" to the native inhabitants of this planet. The mission entitled complete eradication of the inhabitants of 196-B while securing the stability of the planet. 8 Months at war and the Imperial Forces were preparing to assault and deminish the remaining Tau, led by Aun'y'va'suam

The reamining imperial guardsmen and received reports the the remaining Tau were sheltering inside a large structure with unkown pulsating tower blocks contained inside. A firefight ensued? killing the tau with greatly suffer injuries to the Imperial Guard. The strange unkown pylons contained inside the damaged structure were now pulsating eratically and faintly.

The remaining forces of the 153rd regiment was granted rights of settlement by the munitorum also the accompany the scientific research and analysis of this strange planet, planet 196-B. The Tech-Priests uncovered that the strange pylons were supporting and minimising the tectonic activity of the unstable planet and the damage received to them during the final blow against the tau is currently accelerating the process.

Immediatly the Tech-Priests informed Colonel Russell and where preparing to inform the supperiors on Terra, but Colonel Russel realised that his supperiors would just evacuate them and send them off to war again. So protecting the guardsmen he was leading, shot the Tech-Priests and evacuated the planet.

3 Months later, Planet 196-B suffered vital ruptures to this crust of the planet, causing the planet to collapse in on itself. The Adminustratum recorded all the guardsmen who were present on 196-B deseaced along with the Tech-Priests, who unknowingly to the Adminustratum had already been dead for 3 months.

To date the remaining "Guardsmen" roam through space on weapons of other cultures selling their souls to the highest bidder, mercenary clan, Legis Lost.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
1) Tau worlds are led by Ethereals, whose names begin with "Aun"; for example, Aun'rah. Military commanders begin with "O", and have nicknames like Farsight and Shadowsun.
2) Colonels lead regiments. Easiest way to come up with names for your army officers is to a) pick a name out of the phone book, or b) give your regiment an Earth-equivalent basis (France, ancient Mongolia, Iroquois, etc) and come up with a named based off of that.
3) The Administratum are the record keepers and bureacrats, and the Departmento Munitorum is in charge of Imperial Guard logisitics (where regiments go, who gets what supplies, everything is encompassed by them).
4) The Imperial scientist are all tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus. So you'd have a bunch of half-machine guys looking at these pylons, some might even sabotage them based on religious zealotry (human tech being the only holy tech, xeno tech is technosorcery, etc). The tech-priests who form the regimental aides are known as enginseers.
5) As for the name of the mercenary clan, take something from the dead planet. For example, in Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost series, when parts of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Tanith regiments escape the destruction of their planet, they combine into one and call themselves the 'Tanith First and Only'. So maybe the 'Legis Lost'.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any idea then on how i could come around the fact that it is found the planet is unstable? is it plausible that the Tech-Priests connected that facts of more earthquakes and surface ruptures to the fact of damaged equipment?
if so i think ill leave it as is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts