Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to collect a dwarf cc army as i am fed up with seeing (and loseing to) shooty dwarfs in my local store.
I dont have the army book but have read a few threads on being able to move the dwarves quickly across the field. I would like to know exactly what runes/magic items/banners i can use and what they do. Also could anyone tell me what the rules for "stubborn" units are? All help greatly appreciated.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Stubborn units cannot have their base LD modified (although if they use the leadership of a character it is modified).

Aggressive dwarfs often have a Strollaz's Rune BSB (optional but almost always taken), an Anvil of Doom (optional) and 4+ blocks of gritty beards and shields (it is actually possible for a dwarf unit to be 6" past the centre line before the second turn!).

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
If your going CC then units like Miners (underground advance), Rangers and Gyrocopters are important (to tie up enemy artillery etc) as you will find that getting your army into combat by any turn before 5 is very difficult, particularly if you are playing against a gunline dwarf or empire army- disrupt and bother the enemy until your warriors and special units can reach their lines, thats the way to go!

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Against a Dwarf gunline, Dwarfs themselves are at a disadvantage because of their speed.
Fortunately, that can be overcome.

Dwarfs have several units that can operate forward of the main line: Rangers and Miners. Gyrocopters are fast and the Anvil and Strollaz' Rune makes Dwarfs really fast.

Most importantly, though, I would abandon all guns if trying to beat him. If your opponent is doing all shooting, then if you try to do half-shooting and half-marching, you're bound to get outshot and you'll not have sufficient numbers to take him down when you eventually get to his lines.

Instead, spend every point on speed and bodies. If you show up with 150 Dwarfs on the table, there's no way your opponent can possibly kill that many.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Instead, spend every point on speed and bodies. If you show up with 150 Dwarfs on the table, there's no way your opponent can possibly kill that many.

Although if you're looking at 2000 point combats you're probably looking at more around 100 troops if you include a gyrocopter and a few bolt throwers for backup, or 120 without. Saying that though I have seen 140 fielded in a 2250, 7 blocks of 20, I lean't my mate my 20 Ironbreakers to field it, I've not seen someone look that worried about facing dwarves in a fair while.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
The All-Infantry would be pretty expensive, that's for sure.

There are places where points could be made-up, though. Great Weapon-equipped units probably wouldn't be necessary because the Gunline doesn't have a lot of big nasties. The same goes for the Lord, who could probably just be a Thane, maximized for killing basic grunts.

When I get back to my Army Book, at home, I'm going to draw something up, because I'm sure an anti-Gunline list with 150 bodies can be created.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.