Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting an IG army I just can`t seem to get the scheme right, at the moment I have the foundation paint set, r gore, s gold, da green,sb yellow, cat green, b brass, bl red, sb leather, c black, bg metal, reaper ocean blue and some random flesh tones. I want something with a few earth tones and relitively easy to paint

keep me posted,Mr. Bo Jangles:happy:

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Hi and welcome to the boards,

First off - a little unrelated - but would you mind not abreviating as much, it makes the posts much easier to read and if you could use a smaller font it would be great.

Ok, on to IG colour schemes. The good thing about IG is that they can have any scheme you want. First port of call I suggest is the page in the codex with a lot of different schemes and also a visit to gw's website. Warhammer 40,000 - Imperial Guard might also help you out a bit.

Next up, what kind of scheme are you going for. You want an earthy tone one right? What kind - dark reds and browns? Light desert style browns etc? Any more information you wish to give us may help greatly.

I'll give you my scheme as an example and then you can look around at others. (By the way mine is really easy and so quick it isn't funny)
I start off undercoating with Chaos black and then touch up any areas that are missed. The flak arour gets a coat of 50% Chaos Black/50% Codex grey mix. Faces and hands start off with tanned flesh followed by a bronzed flesh highlight which is then highlighted again with elf flesh. The barrel, clip etc gets painted boltgun metal and the imperial eagles are picked out in the flack mix. Grenades get a basecoat of dark angels green and then a drybrush of snot green. And that's about it. (Of course my guard are from a predominately night world so their camo scheme reflects the darkness they find themselves in). Looks quite good I think and it annoys hell out of my mate that I can finish 2 tanks in 20 minutes (after undercoating).

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
It really would help if we knew what you were going for or how well you want to paint them. You don't really have any earthy tones there, I recomend buying kommando khaki, it solves all problems in life.

·
Registered
610 Posts
With IG it depends how much time you want to spend, most people don't bother much with individual troopers, personally I do. All mine have urban camo, which takes ages to paint and can put you off if you're not sure of your colour scheme.

First off make a model, I'm assuming Cadians here, he is your test piece. You use this chap to test your colour scheme out. If it don't work first time slap some chaos black over him and try again. It saves you painting through a line of thirty IG and realising this is actually quite rubbish.

For earth tones you need brown, especially scorched brown and bestial brown, chaos black, bleached bone, codex grey and fortress grey. The idea is to combine some of these colours usually bestial, codex and chaos black produces an earthy look or scorched brown with a smidgen of bestial can work as well. As I say get mixing and experiment on your test piece.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
For "earth tones," I agree that a deep brown color is needed. Picking up Commando Khaki wouldn't hurt either, but if you can afford only one pot, make it Graveyard Earth or Scorched Brown. In a pinch, you can mix black with your Snakebite Leather, but that's doing it the really hard way, and if you have a lot of guardsmen, you'll go nuts doing it like this.

If you can afford it, also consider, after the dark brown and khaki, a pot of Bleached Bone. It's better for lightening earth tones than straight white.

As to a scheme, that's kind of up to you. Why do you say "earth tones?" Is it a scheme you've never tried? Is there fluff that goes with your army? Maybe, even if you have no fluff, and don't care, you should think, just for a moment, about where they come from. Picture in your head your army, drilling, marshaling for war, boarding ships, rolling along in tanks, and don't look at them. Look at the BACKGROUND in your little mind's-eye movie. What's it look like? That should give you a hint as to what your men will look like.

If all else fails, look in the codex. There are quite a few earth-tone schemes in there that look quite good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok I found sominthing that I painted up about a year ago for IG but its in cadian 8th colors
and I also picked up the dex and a hellhound. I will pick up bleached bone and maybe some vallejo browns next time I go into town.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/GG207227/DSC00267.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/GG207227/DSC00271.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/GG207227/DSC00270.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/GG207227/DSC00269.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/GG207227/DSC00268.jpg

·
421 Posts
sorry if this would be meaning hijacking the thread, but i have a sheme too i would like to have evaluated.

It would be primed in white, weapon and boots in dark gray, cloth in ghostly gray, armor in light brown and shoulderpads in orange.

i would love to hear your oppinion about it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Originally Posted by vindicator
i would love to hear your oppinion about it.
Your army, your call that's my view.

If you're asking me do I like the colour I would have to say no. I'm guessing you're painting Cadians? For me Cadians are pretty much standard text book IG modelled on 21st century armies. Not many commanders would send their boys out in pretty, bright, colours. Camo really is good sense in an age where weapons are deadly accurate and armour, even kevlar, offers only the most rudimentary of defence. The meat grinders of WW1 showed the world that the Napoleonic Era was dead and gone, stay out of sight or get dead was the lesson. Cadians being at the top end of Imperial warfare match that philosophy best.

Obviously not all IG regiments operate along the same policy, Mordians are pretty much in your face uniform wise, no duck and cover more line up and shoot and of course the fluff is full of regiments with plumes etc.

But that's my oppinion, as I say it's your army, you're painting it (not me) go with what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the blue aurmour and the grey fatigiues last night on a few guys :z
It turned out ok but that is too simple and not very jaw dropping, I really like the coiling cobras scheme or since im an Air Cadet and do drill every week and like the uniforms I might like a mordian army, I do perfer the metal models too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.