Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start making a tau army but i don't know where to start when making a 850 list so i need help think of stuff.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
One of the most helpful things you could do is to let us know what models - if any - you already have. If you have none, then I would suggest 2 Battleforces and a Codex. Then read your Codex three or four times before you even *think* of starting to put together an army list. Not being smart or rude there - the Codex is one which needs to be read through several times so that a proper understanding of "how things work with the Tau" can be had.

E.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
I want to start making a tau army but i don't know where to start when making a 850 list so i need help think of stuff.
First thing is Codex buy the codex.

OK you have to take two compulsory units:

HQ XV8
One Fire Warrior team

The HQ XV8 should be a Shas'El with Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting array and hard wired Multi tracker 97pts

I will discuss the FW team later

XV8's are good so we need a few XV8's. In 850 pts we are limited but we have three elite slots. The best way to take the XV8's in this type of list is a lone units. We take one XV8 suit in two elite slots outfitted exactly as the Shas'El. This means XV8 team leader which is slightly more expensive but allows us to take a targeting array and HW multi. Each suit costs 77pts

Next we take a two man Deathrain team (XV8 with twin linked Missile pods and targeting array). This team costs 106pts

We need heavy support and a Hammerhead with railgun, Burst cannons, disruption pods and multi tracker costs 165pts and a single XV88 with Advanced stabilisation system, HW Drone controller and a shield drone at 100pts

So back to that FW squad well I would take an 8 man squad for 80pts (this means you need to lose 5 before you cannot re-group)
I would then take 2 Kroot squads

So we have

HQ:
Shas'El with Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting array and hard wired Multi tracker 97pts

Elites:
XV8 team leader with Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting array and hard wired Multi tracker 77pts
XV8 team leader with Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting array and hard wired Multi tracker 77pts

XV8 team: 106pts consisting of:
2 x XV8 with twin linked Missile pod and Targeting array

Troops:
8 man Fire Warrior squad 80pts
Kroot squad with 11 kroot 77pts
Kroot squad with 10 kroot 70pts

Heavy
Hammerhead with railgun, Burst cannons, disruption pods and multi tracker 165pts
XV88 with Advanced stabilisation system, HW Drone controller and a shield drone at 100pts

849pts

For this we have
Three XV8 suits with Plasma (important against Marines and other tough units). One of them hits at BS5 and two hit at BS4.
We have five Missile pods, one fires at BS5, two at BS4 and two at BS4 twin linked

This is an awesome amount of high accuracy firepower and should be able to handle anything at 850pts.

We have two railguns, one twin linked and the Hammerhead has the submunnnition option. Two railguns is enough at 850pts and allows you to handle any vehicle including AV14.

We have three troop choices, the Kroot are your anti assault and blockading units. You should put the Fire Warriors in the best cover you can find and leave them there (on your objective if possible) and use the kroot to slow your opponents forces.

The good thing about this list is it is hard to stop. The three Fireknife suits (Plasma, Missile pod) are all lone units, this means they can hide easily and the opponent needs to split fire between three units to stop them; however you can combine fire from them when needed. The Deathrain team should be kept at maximum range behind cover until they shoot and then jump back behind cover.

I am not sure if you are aware of the jump shoot jump move, this means that the XV8's should be held behind cover until they shoot, then they jump over the cover (jetpack) shoot and in the assualt phase jump back behind the cover (I/E JSJ).

The XV88 should be set up in cover where the combination of cover, 2+ armour save and its Shield Drone will mean it a real bast**d to kill. Keep the Hammerhead at maximum distance and moving and it should be around all game. The XV88 is accurate and the HH has its submunittion round which is great for killing enemy troops.

The other good thing with this lit is it is inherently accurate (even without Markerlights) with all the XV8's hitting on a minimum of 3+ and the Hammerhead and XV88 also highly accurate.

The key with this list is to use those accurate Missile pods and railguns to stop transports and/or tanks and then use the XV8's mobility to pick of targets. If you have objectives use the FW squad to occupy one and use the Kroot to stall enemy movement (do not throw Kroot into assaults unless desperate, use their guns first), keep the Kroot in cover if possible and make the opponent come to you whilst using those XV8's, HH and XV88 to punish them.

This list should be able to handle anything at 850pts and I hope this has given you some ideas.

·
Registered
173 Posts
get a battle force it gives you a legal force to play with then get another group of fire warriors and a devilfish and then battle suits and a hammerhead

1 - 4 of 4 Posts