Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am creating a number of chapters and one of them is themed after conquistadors. i want them to be from a cardinal or shrine world as the original conquistadors were very pious. i originally planned on using Espandor as 1 it sounds spanish and 2 i've heard from a few sources that Espandor was a cardinal world. but in the SM codex it says that Espandor is a agri-world of Ultramar. so i need help thinking of a spanish sounding name for the planet? what about cortez?

·
Registered
307 Posts
or a spanish speaking language city, they always sound cool, places in mexica and sout america

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Could always try out those free online translator programs and play around with Spanish words and definitions.

For example I typed in Faith (Fe) and Unwavering (Constante)
Put them together perhaps?
Constantefe
Feconstante
Constantef

I mean, you might hate those ideas, but I think it might be worth your time to play around with them for a while. Trying translating English words that have religous connotations.
(Examples - Angel, Paradise, Redemption, Forgiveness, Belief, Holy, Sacred)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually that makes sense. sacred in spanish is sangre, how does that sound for a planet name? like sangre prime

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was wrong actually sangre dosent mean sacred it means blood. sorry my spanish is a little off lol

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Still grim and dark, Jarl. Two wrongs make a win!

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
actually that makes sense. sacred in spanish is sangre, how does that sound for a planet name? like sangre prime
Sangre prime sounds cool. Though I think Sangre prime would be the capital planet of the Sangre system. Saint (st) something will make it sound holy. St Sangre' as in saint blood. That will sound like it is more sinister. Conquistadors were a nasty bunch and a name that means blood may imply that it was founded during dodgy and or bloody events. Events the population praises as the crushing of the heretics now of course. This may add more character to your planet.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Sangre prime sounds cool. Though I think Sangre prime would be the capital planet of the Sangre system. Saint (st) something will make it sound holy. St Sangre' as in saint blood. That will sound like it is more sinister. Conquistadors were a nasty bunch and a name that means blood may imply that it was founded during dodgy and or bloody events. Events the population praises as the crushing of the heretics now of course. This may add more character to your planet.
Good points! To embellish on this, the "prime", "secundus", etc are usually used to denote how far the planet is from the star (if it takes the star's name) or as a moon (in a similar way to the star example).

Ex. Mercury could have been called Sol Prime, or the Moon could have been called Terra Prime.

If there were to be more than one naturally-habitable planet in a system (unlikely), then the capital might have a unique name, otherwise, for simplicity's sake, it's just the order from their star.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What about 'Estalia', after the Fantasy Battle Spanish kingdom? I think Fantasy Battle is a wonderful place to draw archaic and pseudo-traditional names and ideas. My Sisters of Battle Canoness is cloned from ancient relics of the Terran Saint 'Repanse De Lyonesse', and the chapter colors are blue and red like the Bretonnian banner. They are the Holy Order of St. Repanse. Anyway, again, look into Fantasy Battles, it might give you some great inspiration!

Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You could always look at names of planets in other sci fi games and see how you like them, it's easier than being creative :p.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ha!

---Frankie
I actually did this, although it was subconcously, a few days aftter i'd written up pages of fluff for my IG regiment and a large campaign i'd noticed that the main planets name, Cygnar wasn't exactly original. I was browsing LO when a thread that was recently posted in had Cygnar in it's title. I decided to keep the name of the planet, and regiment, so the Cygnarian 81st will continue to fight for the Emperor :p

Besides I doubt many 40k players have huge interests in factions from Privateer Presses games :p

The Emperor Protects

Reactions: Jahi

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
All good planets end with the number four.
That's because of the "life belt" or some such term; it refers to the distance away from its star a planet needs to be to be capable of supporting life. Earth is the fourth planet away from the sun, thus most life-bearing planets in sci-fi follow the paradigm.

Fooling around with existing words is always fun and useful for fluff names. From the word "sangre" and various related words, you could get Sangris, Sangrealis, Sangrelion, etc. Pick a cool-sounding word and go to town with various changes.

·
Adeptus Laziness
614 Posts
I actually did this, although it was subconcously, a few days aftter i'd written up pages of fluff for my IG regiment and a large campaign i'd noticed that the main planets name, Cygnar wasn't exactly original. I was browsing LO when a thread that was recently posted in had Cygnar in it's title. I decided to keep the name of the planet, and regiment, so the Cygnarian 81st will continue to fight for the Emperor :p

Besides I doubt many 40k players have huge interests in factions from Privateer Presses games :p

The Emperor Protects
Well if you look at the real world, there's quite a few duplicate names out there. I'm sure that not only could there be two Cygnars in the universe, but surely there's at least a few hundred Nova Terra's, New Earths, Earth 2's, and so on. :b

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Tenochtitlan IV

All good planets end with the number four.
Tenochtitlan is to mayan/aztec sounding for a conquistador chapter and as im doing a mayan/aztec themed chapter already it would be weird. thank you for the suggestion though.

how about Cortez or St. Sebastian, También-to crusade for or Caspian?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts

The Emperor Protects
You know I do that all the time if I'm not careful. When I first started DMing for my friends little D&D games I had Zombie Pirates and all kinds of previously commercialized nonsense. Now when I come up with a "new" idea I always mentally go over all my books and movies to make sure I'm not being an idiot (more than usual anyway).

Anyway @ the thread owner, have you thought about using a variation of the actual word conqusitador? Maybe we're thinking too big here, keep it simple, call it like it is?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You don't even need to make it a different language or tweak it, plenty of planets use English words: Deliverance, Armaggedon, you could name your planet Conquest or something similar. Or name it after someone, and use a Spanish name. Say, Castillo's Conquest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts