Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My deepest apologies in advance for just adding to the oversaturated rumor mill on this site, but I got a bunch of stuff to dump on you guys. Now, some of you may or may not have heard some of this stuff so I'm just gonna run through this fast and follow with a wrap up and some of my own opinions and finally a call out to anyone who may know better.

Andy Hoare the devloper for the old lizardmen was originally writing the new project, but, seeing as he left the company half way through, it's doubtful as to wether or not well see some of his talents in the new book due out Feb 2010.

New release accompanying minis will include plastic Bestigors, plastic Minotaurs, new metal Doombull model, new bray shaman, and most disturbing indeed is the rumor of seperate gor and ungor boxes(ungors are actually getting a new base size than their current one making old ungors either obsolete or in need of rebasing, I really hope they don't do that)

I hear that the beast magic phase will see some changes as the Beasts will be getting their own lore. Now wether or not this lore will accompany the current chaos lores or replace them altogether isn't clear.

I've heard too many new character models to remember, most notable I think is a new Gorgon model. Also a Minotaur character is rumored to be amongst the herd.

No word yet as to what new and revamped rules The Beasts will get, but according to the new repackaging of gors and ungors, expect to see the cool and characterful herd rules go bye-bye.

Shared units from BoC and Woc are up in the air. many rumors say that the bulk of them will remain exclusively with the Warriors (namely chaos ogres, trolls, dragon ogres, and shaggoths), while others say that they will stay in both lists (namely the hounds almost for certain).

Harpies may be among the new book units as well as some unheard of units such as a Razorgor? Apparently a semi large Vhargulf class creature.

And many many more rumors. But, to wrap this up, I think the most likely units to go away are the chaos orges and trolls as Phil Kelly, the writer of the WoC book himself was quoted as saying that those units belong better in the WoC book. I'm particularly worried about the breaking up of the gors and ungors. I really hope that they don't do that. I mean, why would they? that would be taking a step backward to the old list.Gav Thorpe said it best in his designer notes when he said that having gors and ungors seperate was a little too much like playing brown Orcs, with the big ones here and the little ones there. That army composition lacked flavor and uniqueness, while the new, or current style felt more characterfully chaotic! with them in mixed herds. Maybe I'm nit picking but, in my defence, the new book is only a month and some change away, and tensions are at their highest. I just dont want to see any of my herds lose any of their flavor ya know?

So if you agree or don't or if you have corrections or things to add or just plain think I'm a fool and wish to tell me so, then please, by all means, post a response. Thanks amillion.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is going to be hard for them to not split up the gors/ungors. It is confirmed that ungors are going down to the smaller 20x20 base, so ranking up a mixed unit like that would be a pain.

·
859 Posts
Saying that though, look at Lizardmen - Skinks and Kroxigor.

I think it's probable they will split them up from the current rumours - though unofficial. It would be nice if they stayed in the same unit, maybe with restrictions on how many gor per ungor, like the Lizzies have.

Guess we have to wait and see!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I really hope they aren't seperated completely. I was just starting to collect beastmen a week or two before the announcement because they are just too damn cool not to have an army of them. I'm still excited to play, but I'm getting worried about the feel of the army being shattered. :'(

Let's hope for the best!

·
859 Posts
Yeah, they've got a very unique feel to them, I hope they plan on that feel rather than try and unify them more.

·
Registered
447 Posts
About time for plastic Minotaurs. The current ones are some of the ugliest minatures GW has ever made - Doombull excepted.

I think the most important thing is that they have rules which makes battles against Beastmen feel like an ambush.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's to hoping that GW goes for flavor and not just whatever the hell they can come up with. I mean they really did take alot of 'beast' type units away from us like the Shaggoths and just gave them to the Warriors. IMO the Beastmen should play like a horde of German Barbarians, savage and striking swift and brutal from an unexpected quarter. To that effect, the Beasts are already accomplished, I hope that GW continues the work that gav thorpe began and capitalize on their current feel rather than go in some drastically different direction and risk ruining their flavor. After all, it must be mentioned, that of all the rulebook updates, those belonging to chaos have recieved the most drastic overhauls.Anyways.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I do very much agree with the statement that the mixed herds add a ton of flavour to the army. I'd even be somewhat sad if they made it an x:x ratio. I like the ability to put as many of each in a herd as you like. It would be a huge shame if they split the gors and ungors. I think each of the things put together, from unruly to ambush to mixed herds makes the army as interesting as it is and taking away one of these things or another will most likely hamper that. Part of me thinks that splitting the two is likely as it seems like they've been trying to streamline combats and what not; while rolling attacks for your 2x weapon gors, and then attacks for your different stat ungor spears for each unit may seem to someone as to much mucking about.

I'm not really worried about the loss of chaos ogres, trolls, shaggoth and dragon ogres. I would almost prefer it since it'll mean we likely get something new and fancy, and I believe the fellow is most likely right that these creatures are more likely to come out from the north (with the exception of maybe the troll).

Here's to hopin' for the best!,
Christojo

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the reasons for why mixing gors and ungors makes the army more characterful? I had always thought gors looked down on and separated themselves from ungors.

I have to agree that removing some of the chaos creatures is lame, but on the plus side they will have to add new units to the list to flesh it out. Hopefully they will add MORE character to the beastie boys rather than taking it away.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the reasons for why mixing gors and ungors makes the army more characterful? I had always thought gors looked down on and separated themselves from ungors.
They do, and that is why Ungor get used as meat shields :p lol.

·
859 Posts
They exist in their herds together, the ungor are considered inferior and expendible, the Gor more than likely shove them out in battle ahead of them, using them as shields and fodder, making them work and bleed so the Gor can strike the killing blows and sieze the day and favour of the watching Gods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts