Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could this be the beginnings of something bigger? Considering the fringe notion that Blizzard borrowed from GW some of the elements of Starcraft, should this be of huge concern for GW? When Blizzard commits to something, there isn't much that can stop them. I wonder what GW can/will do to meet the challenge of the megalith that is Blizzard.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2,642 Posts
I think chances are pretty good that, while these minis will sell well, they may go the way of D&D minis - that being people buying the figures and not playing the game. I am amused to see McVey putting his name on this one though. He's had his fingers in a few pots lately.

Pre-painted minis, IMO, don't draw people into a game as well as regular figures. I don't think this will be any greater competition for GW than Heroclix or HeroScape is, especially being based around small parties and not armies.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I think it is an interesting idea, but it is certainly more akin to heroclix than any GW game, so I wouldn't be feeling too worried about it if I was a GW exec.

I agree with Cyric, they may sell well for a bit, but the quality of the models is nothing compared to GW (or similar companies, Rackham, PP etc etc), and the game concept is totally different, and they lack the 'craft' element of the hobby.

My prediction is that people will buy them for a bit (it is Warcraft after all), then they will get thrown away when the novelty wears off...

-t.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Eh, somehow I don't think a product whose homepage includes a FAQ that begins with "What is a miniatures game?" is exactly competing for the same market share as GW. If anything it might be a good 'gateway' product that gets the attention of people who then get interested in 'real' table top games.

Not a fan of the prepainted minis either. It makes the product 'just a game' in my opinion. GW doesn't push the hobby aspect so hard and require painted minis to use in the store just to sell you marked up paint. People who get into building and painting models and find it's a rewarding way to spend their time are the ones who stick around for a lifetime.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
One should note that Collectible Miniature Games (comes in boosters and packs, pre-painted and the like. CMGs, simply) have another crowd and target group of people for their games. Most of those that collect CMGs does not practice miniature wargaming as a hobby, and vice-versa.

This targets a niche-group of people, and like the WoW board game, RP and CCG, it will not sell much beyond this niche group.

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
I would have to agree that they could sell well. However I wouldn't want to buy them, they look like garbage.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Pre painted AND they look like crap, i think this'll be just as fringe as the WOW boardgame and the WOW ccg.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
It wont affect GW in the slightest, pre made and pre painted?? the whole point of WH is to make and paint, the whole hobby aspect is lacking in the WoW minis.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
It wont affect GW in the slightest, pre made and pre painted?? the whole point of WH is to make and paint, the whole hobby aspect is lacking in the WoW minis.
As I said earlier, they have a different group of people as their target audience.
CMGs and hobby wargaming is just about as similar as film and video games (one just requires you to sit there and pay attention, the other requires direct involvement).

·
Registered
328 Posts
They seem ok, Im not a huge fan of WOW though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Working at a game store, I see these doing the same as the card game did - big boom in the beginning followed by lack of interest. The first 2 expansions of the card game did great (fun game too) the third only sold because of the (chance for) online rewards (premium loot cards, ie. the spectral tiger mount) the fourth, we can barely give away.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Wow! Blizzard is seriously milking this WOW thing for everything it's worth. I think I'll pass up on that like I passed on World of Warcraft.

I just hope that Blizzard keeps making RTS games like the Warcraft series and Starcraft. Those games were great...

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
Wow! Blizzard is seriously milking this WOW thing for everything it's worth. I think I'll pass up on that like I passed on World of Warcraft.

I just hope that Blizzard keeps making RTS games like the Warcraft series and Starcraft. Those games were great...
They tend to milk their money makers to death. Starcraft 2 will be coming out sometime this year.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
They tend to milk their money makers to death. Starcraft 2 will be coming out sometime this year.
Yeah, but first the card game, now the miniatures game. I hear there's a new expansion coming out soon, t-shirts, rumors of a movie, Mr. T doing TV ads, they probably have action figures too, WOW lunchboxes, WOW greeting cards, WOW breakfast cereal. This is a little bit further than before.

Starcraft 2 eh? Sounds good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with pretty much every above post. It will sell well in he beginning and then slowly but surely fade away. I do however think that a starcraft mini game (without the pre-built/painted aspect of course) would be rather neat.

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
They do in fact have wow action figures. I am of the opinion that world of warcraft ruined blizzard entertainment.

Starcraft 2 seems to filled with even more copyright infringement. There are marine units with "jump packs" that are called "raptors," regular marine units can "drop pod" in and land anywhere on the board when a ghost uses a homing targeter. Those quotes are exactly word for word what they are calling the new terran units, they didn't even try to disguise it this time. There are more infringement problems as the protoss can essentially webway portal around the board from their pylons. That being said, the game looks frikken amazing and I will buy it anyway.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Well GW took legal actions against them with both Starcraft and Warcraft so no suprise there when they continue to "borrow" from WH.

Although, all Sci-Fi and fantasy-settings "borrow" from each other so you can't really accuse them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts