Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might be aware that when I'm not painting Crimson Fists and whining about my degree I work at my local independent retailer. Currently I'm planning an afternoon promotion where customers bring in a 40k character model and duke it out in a little arena of toy soldier fisticuffs.

Provisional rules are-

Must be a painted and based 40k figure,

No more than 150pts from any current codex,

One model only! No honour guards, command squads, entourages or hangers-on,

WYSIWYG,

No special characters (special character models can be used to represent regular heroes, though),

First turn decided by 1d6+ I value of the hero.

Fights will take place in a 24"x24" arena with 4 small pillars (nowhere to hide!),

Apart from that all normal 40k rules apply.

So... Can anyone see any gaping holes in this idea? If so, what? Also- what character builds would you guys take?

Thanks!

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Will there be a points limit? It sounds awesome, tbh I wish GW would do character duke-it-outs :( Though gaping holes would be that I would take a nice fluffy character and get owned by some ridiculously tooled out powergamer, perhaps cheese preventions would need to be put in place?

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will there be a points limit? It sounds awesome, tbh I wish GW would do character duke-it-outs :( Though gaping holes would be that I would take a nice fluffy character and get owned by some ridiculously tooled out powergamer, perhaps cheese preventions would need to be put in place?
150pt limit. And because it's just one character and not an army nor tournament as such then really it's all about the character buit for power. cheese it up, I say.

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
My GW is running a 150pt Warhammer Quest-esque game tommorow, hero + small retinue. 150pt seems like a nice limit that forces you to play the 'aspiring hero' role instead of the 'that thing on my trophy rack? It's a part of the last planet I ate' style characters. What about mounts + BSBs, or ranged attack/magic?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oooh :D Would give me the push i need to get some of my Mini's painted! :D

Where abouts are you Stationed Mr P. Monkey? :D (it says NZ, just wondering thats all lol)
I'm Chch of South Island myself :)

Hmm, well i cant think of any 'gaping holes' right now, but how many players are you planning on having on at any one time?

Nice idea though 8Y

Shaabhekh :happy:

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooh :D Would give me the push i need to get some of my Mini's painted! :D

Where abouts are you Stationed Mr P. Monkey? :D (it says NZ, just wondering thats all lol)
I'm Chch of South Island myself :)

Hmm, well i cant think of any 'gaping holes' right now, but how many players are you planning on having on at any one time?

Nice idea though 8Y

I'm up in the Manawatu I'm afraid. Might be a bit of a trip for you!

Thanks for psoting that link Pickle- handy. I like the insta-kill rule. Plus no Space Wolf dreadnaughts!!

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Yeah, but decent space wolf dreadnoughts will cost about 160.
So no worries there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hah, this actually sounds really entertaining. Who do you all think would be the "best"?

The three that came immediately to mind for me were Daemon Prince with lash, Hive Tyrant, and Crisis Suit Commander. Maybe the new ork Boss on Bike?

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
The only gaping hole I see is a farseer on a jetbike. Sooner or later mindwar will kill you, and you can't caaatch meeeeeee! Most of the other things mentioned are't really up to spec within the points limit.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only gaping hole I see is a farseer on a jetbike. Sooner or later mindwar will kill you, and you can't caaatch meeeeeee! Most of the other things mentioned are't really up to spec within the points limit.
Good point. I'm hoping the arena will be small enough that jump-pack/winged guys will be able to catch anything faster but will still be able to avoid foot sloggers if they want. I think there'll probably be a few shooty characters too, who'll slow down the really fast ones.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Manawatu? cant say ive heard of it lol (im new to NZ)

But if you say its a trip then bummer :( i'll just read any battle reports and re-enact them with some cardboard cut outs and my own Char >_< (i'll win anyway! lol)

Not to worry though, i somehow like the idea of the SW Dread lol, i mean who here, would take a Thunder Hammer/Power Fist? not me, i'd be taking Power Weapons to strike at my own Initiative, so i'd be doomed if i saw Bob Marley encased in Dread Armour lol :D

But another thing is, what about Guard Commanders? they automatically get 4 Guardsmen for a Retinue, so would they count? a good player would tool them up as Vets and having them with all kinds of shizz lol:party2:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
This sounds like a great idea! I should probably run this by my gaming group.

I'd probably either try it with an Ork Biker Boss or a Tau Shas'O...

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
We do this kind of Arena thing at my hobby store all the time, and it's a ton of fun! I'm sure you'll love it.

Some things to look out for though:
1. Tzeentch Sorcerors, which make an Adamantine Mantle a must.
2. Bike-mounted Farseers, as mentioned, which make Psychic Hoods a must.
4. TAU BATTLESUITS! If there is terrain on the board, they will hide behind it.
5. Players waiting forever for eachother to make the first move, so they can guage their movement to get the charge.
6. Unspoken alliances.. but there's really nothing you can do about that.

Some good characters I've used are Dark Eldar Archites with Combat Drugs, Necron Destroyer Lords, and yes a Powerfist-wielding Master of the Chapter.. (go Space Wolf 13th company to get Mark of the Wulfen on a Wolf Lord for even more madness)

Your best bet is a character that can put up some hits in the Shooting Phase, just in case you can't make it to combat. In my experience, it's far better in games like this to stock up on defensive wargear: invulnerable saves, instant-death negaters, shrouding tools (vis-a-vis Necron Lord). Good luck in your games, have fun!

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ran this tournament today. I think it went quite well. Highlights included a chaos lord stabbing himself in the eye, a hive tyrant vaporising an ork warboss and our very own ArchonFarseerGuy's Inquisitor being executed by a Wolf Priest who died after only two dice had been rolled.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Actually it was more like 5 (he had to wound and I took a save and everything) but yeah, I died Turn 1.

I failed my ++ Save and said "Well, I'm Instant Deathed" and got quite a reaction. You had to be there for fun to truly enjoy it. If I was taking it totally seriously I would have been so pissed.

But seriously, that was one AWESOME tourney though! And yeah, the aforementioned highlights pretty much were the highlights, though the LD10 Codicier passing 1 psychic test the whole day and the Ork Warboss hitting twice whole tourney but failing to do anything were so awesome. Given that 8 people showed up, it was a hugely fun day.

Seriously, you lot have to get out there and organise one yourselves.

-AFG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey, i was gonna be there but I was not able to make it. Plus my codex is packed away somewhere. I really wish i could ave bein there.

If I went i would have taken a Shas'O with Plasma Gun, Fusion Blaster, multitracker, Sheild Generator, Vecotered retro thrusters, and maybe some sheild drones. Might have been able to make it to round 2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.