Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together my first army and loved the Salamanders fluff and the idea of a drop pod assault.

I have several rules when constructing this list.

1. Rules as intended, not rules as written.
2. No power gaming
3. Must make sense within the fluff (No Bikes or Land Speeders).
4. Almost all units must be in drop pods.
5. Forge World is okay.

HQ:
Vulkan He'stan - 190pts

Troops:
Tactical Squad (10 man, Flamer, Multi-Melta, Melta-bomb, Drop Pod) - 210pts
Tactical Squad (10 man, Flamer, Multi-Melta, Melta-bomb, Drop Pod) - 210pts

Elites:
Siege Dreadnought (Multi-Melta, Assault Drill, Heavy Flamer) - 120pts
Siege Dreadnought (Multi-Melta, Assault Drill, Heavy Flamer) - 120pts
Sternguard Squad(10 man, 2x Heavy Flamer, 3x Combi-Flamer, 5x Combi-Melta, Drop Pod) - 345pts

Fast Attack:
Hyperios Air Defence Battery (3x Hyperios Platforms) - 105pts
Lucius Pattern Drop Pod - 65pts
Lucius Pattern Drop Pod - 65pts

Fortification:
Aegis Defence Line (Comms relay) - 70pts

The Dreadnoughts come down in the lucius pattern drop pods and are supposed to smash parking lots and high AV vehicles.
The Sternguard are counter assault and HQ and Elites hunters.
The Tactical Squads combat squad as they drop in. The multi-melta hold an objective and wards off any infantry transports, while the flamer and the sergeant can deal with the infantry (or at the very least force a disordered charge).
The Hyperios Platform are the requisite AA of my list. They sit up the back in the aegis defence line with the comms really and hopefully weather the first turn.

I've played this list using proxies against a mates Ork Mek list with reasonable success (amazing considering I produce more 1's than binary).

So, watcha think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey dude
Strong list. Not beardy but certainly hits hard.
You may consider giving some of the Sternguard combi-plasma or the plasma gun, instead of flame weapons. If you combat squad the unit, half take on tanks and the other half take on an elite unit. They are vulnerable to assault though. If you don't plan on splitting the unit, then stick He'stan in there, and overwatch will be your best friend.:act-up:

But yeah, it's more a question of preference and who you might be playing. Good luck in battle and welcome to LO; I think you just joined didn't you?
K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers man, thanks for the advise.

And yes, I did just join LO. I figured if I was gonna play the game, I'm might as well be part of the wider community :soldier:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My main suggestion would be to switch the Siege Dreads for Ironclads with Heavy Flamer and Meltagun. The Multi-Melta on the Siege Dread is not that great as you will be close to your target from the moment you step on the field and the AV13 of the Ironclad can save you from krak grenades and most shooting. Also the Seismic Hammer adds +1 on the vehicle damage chart giving a total of +2 as the DCCW is AP2 already, and you get an extra attack.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Sternguard aren't bad units, but you're paying a flipping ton of points for them. I'd honestly drop them for something cheaper. Have you considered the Deathstorm Drop Pods? They're a very fluffy addition to any pod based list.

Also, I second the Ironclads suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My main suggestion would be to switch the Siege Dreads for Ironclads with Heavy Flamer and Meltagun. The Multi-Melta on the Siege Dread is not that great as you will be close to your target from the moment you step on the field and the AV13 of the Ironclad can save you from krak grenades and most shooting. Also the Seismic Hammer adds +1 on the vehicle damage chart giving a total of +2 as the DCCW is AP2 already, and you get an extra attack.
I had considered that. But the cost for the Ironclad is 40 points higher, and I don't want to reduce the number of units I'm dropping on the field. Plus I was also kinda taken by the idea of the assault drill (Once per an assault phase, anything being transported inside the vehicle suffers an automatic heavy flamer hit when I get a penetrating hit).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Siege dreads are fluffy, seeing as that's one of your rules, I'd stick with it, but, if you can budge off of fluff consider the benefits of av13 frontal armor, its a fricking blessing coming from a furioso dread user like myself. Also, I like deathwind drop pods, now with drop pods not being able to contest objectives, very few armies waste shots on them, and throwing pie plates is always fun. I would take a 5 man crew of sternguard with combi-plasma, as with their special ammo, the only thing they can't do is take on terminators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.