Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I write out many High Elf army lists procrastinating at my paint table. Most of them tend to consist mostly of models I have but with all the buzz about how High Elves can do an all Cav list I wanted to try it out.

Prince on Moon Dragon w/
Dragon armor, enchanted shield, star lance and Atrazar crown. 505

Mage lvl 2 steed. 120
Mage lvl 2 steed. 120

Silver Helms x 15 shields, command. 375
Silver Helms x 15 shields, command, 375

Titanic Chariots x 3. xxx

SkyCutter x 3. xxx

Dragon Princes x 5. xxx
Dragon Princes x 5. xxx

Frostheart x 3. xxx

I can picture this army looking scary on a table but I'm a believer in spearmen and combat rez and have some doubts. You would have to be really effective with your flying and movement phases to not block all your charge lanes and have multiple waves of attack. Not sure how effective the Mages would be, they don't have much synergy with the rest of the army. I would have them both use the Lore of Beasts and just spam the signature spell.
I would love to play test this army but I mostly just have infantry and phoenixes. Do you guys think this would work against your average joe at your local Metta? Would the look on your opponents face after deployment be worth the tactical challenge?

·
Registered
616 Posts
ok, a couple things before I get started:
First, welcome to LO Slack Jaw! It's nice to have a new HElf player on this forum.
Second, don't put points unless you have bought upgrades, so no points showing on chariots or frosthearts in this case. (*** can work)
Third, this should probably go in the army list section of the forum. CaptainSarathai could probably help you with that.

Ok, about the list itself. How many points? 3000? I'm assuming that's what the points are
Prince, without a ward save?? Crown will probably save you one cannonball, but you are most likely better off with a ward and the golden shield (3+4++ is much better for combat and the like).
A couple lvl2 mages can work- beasts is good for cavalry, but do you need two of them? Yeah, it helps with channeling/getting the spells you want, but for 120 points that you could spend on more defense for your general/more bodies?
Silver Helms are needed for an all cavalry list, though if you could get a bigger unit that would help. Right now one casualty drops your rank bonus to only a +1
Where do your chariots fit into this list? They go half the speed of everything else in the list. You're better off dropping them for more knights
same for Skycutters, though they are better since they fly.
DP's would be better in groups of 7 (max atk on a 5-wide unit) with a musician for those nice swift reforms (necessary in a list like this)
Do you need 3 frosthearts? 2 could work; in the end they are a support unit, as they are not very killy on their own.
The other glaring thing about this is no BSB. We can make some nice builds on a horse, and the rerolls on Ld help you more than you realize.

CaptainSarathai is the number one person to talk to, as he runs a monster/cavalry list. Most of what I told you is just academic observances based on limited testing on my own part. It definitely CAN work, don't get me wrong, just not my preference, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, a couple things before I get started:
First, welcome to LO Slack Jaw! It's nice to have a new HElf player on this forum.
Second, don't put points unless you have bought upgrades, so no points showing on chariots or frosthearts in this case. (*** can work)
Third, this should probably go in the army list section of the forum. CaptainSarathai could probably help you with that.

Ok, about the list itself. How many points? 3000? I'm assuming that's what the points are
Prince, without a ward save?? Crown will probably save you one cannonball, but you are most likely better off with a ward and the golden shield (3+4++ is much better for combat and the like).
A couple lvl2 mages can work- beasts is good for cavalry, but do you need two of them? Yeah, it helps with channeling/getting the spells you want, but for 120 points that you could spend on more defense for your general/more bodies?
Silver Helms are needed for an all cavalry list, though if you could get a bigger unit that would help. Right now one casualty drops your rank bonus to only a +1
Where do your chariots fit into this list? They go half the speed of everything else in the list. You're better off dropping them for more knights
same for Skycutters, though they are better since they fly.
DP's would be better in groups of 7 (max atk on a 5-wide unit) with a musician for those nice swift reforms (necessary in a list like this)
Do you need 3 frosthearts? 2 could work; in the end they are a support unit, as they are not very killy on their own.
The other glaring thing about this is no BSB. We can make some nice builds on a horse, and the rerolls on Ld help you more than you realize.

CaptainSarathai is the number one person to talk to, as he runs a monster/cavalry list. Most of what I told you is just academic observances based on limited testing on my own part. It definitely CAN work, don't get me wrong, just not my preference, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Hey- yeah I suppose this should have gone in the army lists page, and yes it is indeed 3000 points.

I don't think the chariots would be to cumbersome. I don't think this list would be to successful if you just lined up and took off running forward. You would need a couple of turns to position your flyers. They will need to both mess up your opponents battle line and be ready to flank and rear charge after your main knights are fighting. If you march your Silver Helms much more than 9 inches your going to probably get charged.

For the mages I think it's either two of them or none. If you just have one spell your opponent needs to dispel he will almost always get it. If you can cast it twice he at least needs to think and get lucky to keep you from getting it at least once a turn. (Barring real bad winds rolls).

The reason I took units of 15 Silver Helms was for maximum attacks (martial prowess) and two units at 375 filled out the core requirements so prettily.

3 phoenixes might be excessive but what is this army if not excessive. =) I'm a fan of the Phoenix, only monster we get that doesn't need to be ridden by a pansy overpriced t3 high elf. Other than the dragon it's the only thing in the army with sustainable offensive output. Hopefully your thunder stomping. -1 strength will also help the knights keep their armor saves. The phoenixes are flying threats that can't be ignored like the skycutters.

I have a hard time spending many points on combat high elf characters. I'd really like to have a Bsb but would have a hard time dropping anything big enough to take one. I suppose it would be the mages that got dropped first because they are the least amount of offense.

I probably should have given the Prince a good ward save like you say. I think I'd drop 1 chariot and turn his D-armor into the armor of destiny. That would also give me the points for musicians all around.

It's definitely a Rock Paper Scissors army. Scissors most likely.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Prince on Moon Dragon w/
Dragon armor, enchanted shield, star lance and Atrazar crown. 505
Why the Lance? You have a Dragon - you pointed out earlier that you're list is lacking in the "stand there and hammer" department. This guy needs a Wardsave first, but after that he could easily have an Ogre Blade or similar weapon to grant him strength in every round - charged or not. Also - why the dragon? If not for theme, drop it. You can get SO MUCH MORE into this list if you just run a basic barded steed. Roll him in with one of your units, to add some hitting power.

Mage lvl 2 steed. 120
Mage lvl 2 steed. 120
Without a +4 to cast, you aren't going to get many spells anyways. That extra +2 is worth another whole Die. You're closing the opponent's gap between Power and Dispel dice, simply by lacking the "oomph" behind your casting. Either don't rely on this magic (ie, drop a mage) or go whole-hog with it. You're fast enough that you have little need for mage. They should have saves if they're going to throw lots of dice. Also - where are they going? Riding alone to be targeted by every D6Hits spell in the book and eaten by enemy Eagles/Chaff?

Silver Helms x 15 shields, command. 375
Silver Helms x 15 shields, command, 375
Meh. Drop a model for your Wizards to fit into these regiments. It's worth mentioning that if you kept the Wizards, regiments of 8 with a full command, deployed 3x3 will get their full attacks and bump your Wizard to the second rank where he's nice and cozy.

Titanic Chariots x 3. xxx
Chariots can't March, and believe me, it will show up and bite you. The rest of your army is fast - either the Silvers are sitting out of combat getting spelled to death, or the Chariots are the only things NOT in combat and getting spelled to death. Chariots might work, but your list has more chariots than anything.

SkyCutter x 3. xxx
Goal for these? You didn't give them bolts, and they want those a lot. This unit isn't for combat - TCs make a better combat unit. This is a flying unit that fills the same role as your Phoenixes. You have Phoenixes. You don't need slow flying chariots.

Dragon Princes x 5. xxx
Dragon Princes x 5. xxx
So much potential for damage and you didn't spam these more. Bigger units - this is 3k. You should expect to see huge units of enemy models at this point. In my experience, 500pts isn't a huge jump - you're going to see 2500pt lists with an extra character, maybe 1 extra unit, and then the points dumped into beefing up "at risk" units. This would work in 2.5k, but your army feels small. I'm reasoning that it's probably the Wizards and Chariots eating up your points.

Frostheart x 3. xxx
Doing... -1S is nice, and flying is nice too. Otherwise though, these guys aren't all they might be cracked up to be. They're tough, yeah, but they're not that well armored or regen/warded, and they don't have a ton of wounds to lose. They can do well, but they're not your answer for protracted combats. I'd rather just see Cav-spam, looking for those double charges, enough ranks to Disrupt and maybe bust Steadfast when you do enough damage, and that's about the extent of it.

You would have to be really effective with your flying and movement phases to not block all your charge lanes
Don't worry about your Fliers - right now, enemy chaff is going to do that for you. You need an answer for regiments of 5 dogs, etc. Using Phoenixes for that is overkill and therefore a waste of points. Eagles or Reavers work much better for that.
and have multiple waves of attack.
you want everything to hit at once. It overwhelms your opponent, and getting as much damage as possible as quickly as possible is what breaks Steadfast.
Not sure how effective the Mages would be, they don't have much synergy with the rest of the army. I would have them both use the Lore of Beasts and just spam the signature spell.
Not very effective, and no they don't have much synergy. Spamming two spells with a +2 to cast isn't that spectacular. Beasts is a poor lore for Cavalry actually - especially considering your overall lack of characters. I've been goofing around with Light, but Shadows is always a good bandaid lore as well - providing lots of debuffs to reduce enemy damage in those turns that you're off the charge, and debuffs/augments to boost your own damage even at S3.

I would love to play test this army but I mostly just have infantry and phoenixes. Do you guys think this would work against your average joe at your local Metta? Would the look on your opponents face after deployment be worth the tactical challenge?
It's a solid armystyle. Most opponents are used to it - High Elves could do all cavalry in 5th/6th as well. What you have isn't excessive, really. The Silvers are a bit over-sized, if you wanted, 25 of them is enough to fill minimum Core at 2500pts, so if you pared them down to save $$ it would fit nicely into your collection. You seem to already have the Phoenixes. Chariots are good even in an infantry army, although I personally feel that the SkyCutter is underwhelming at the table. 10 Dragon Princes is by no means excessive, and like the Silvers and Chariots can be slotted into an infantry army with ease.
Your list feels small and a bit unfocused. At 500pts less than what you're fielding, I swap one of your Phoenixes for a second dragon (caledor theme), lose 2 Silver Helms to pick up 2 Dragon Princes, and pick up 2 eagles in exchange for your 6 Chariots. You can find my list here:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/high-elf-army-lists/248386-2500-dual-dragons-dual-frostnix-all-cav.html#post2232906

Another, slightly different and more experimental 2500pt list that I have can be found in the "breaking Lore of Light" thread, and focuses more on casting huge buffs to my units so that they hit incredibly hard and very quickly. It has shooting and Reavers to clear chaff, though I'm looking to pick up Eagles as well by dropping the RBTs. Again, at 500pts less, it has none of the Dragons or Chariots, but has 24 Silvers plus 10 Reavers, 9 Dragon Princes, two L4 Wizards, a L2 Wizard, a BSB, 16 Sisters of Avelorn and 2 RBTs.

If you're noticing a theme, my lists usually have just as many actual bodies as yours do, in terms of Dragon Princes and Silver Helms, but I'm playing smaller games. They also replace your Chariots with cheaper Reavers/Eagles, who are faster and do a better job of clearing chaff or providing me with Redirection of my own so that I can get the charges that I want. I disagree when you say that if your Cavalry moves more than 9" you're going to get charged - that's where our own Chaff comes into play. It blocks the enemy charge lanes so that if they want to charge us, they end up hitting the Reavers/Eagles instead and end up being forced to either Overrun past us, or Reform and find themselves stuck in front of our cavalry. Rather than slower chariots, where the chaff (chariots) dictates the speed of the rest of your army, I use faster units who can easily stay ahead of the main force, and don't limit my speed or maneuverability at all.

Playing any High Elf list is hard, because you have to write a clear, concise army in order to get what you need from it. Every unit needs a definite role, and you need to evaluate how well that unit fulfills that role and if there are any units who can do it more efficiently/cheaply. We're strapped for points already, and when you're playing Cavalry, you are paying for maneuverability which doesn't always equate to raw hitting power. Your army list needs to fit you like a glove so that you can make the most out of every unit that you include. My Caledor army has a lot of "fat" that I could trim up if I weren't writing a themed list. One of these days, I think I'll try to come up with a generic "all cav" army to give a better example of what you can do with Elf knights. Until then, do whatever you can to proxy your lists and give Cav a try. It's a fun way to the play the game, although it won't always be as competitive as a well-honed Infantry/mixed force. You just need to get very good with your list, and be very comfortable with the game on a whole. Using my list, or blindly following suggestions without understanding or agreeing with them won't net you an end product that you can win with. It might get you started on the right path, but more than any other list, Cavalry armies need to be point-for-point dialed in where you want them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.