Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
From the teachers...

Do:
-Your Work (including homework)
-Ask questions if you need help (trust me, 5 other people have the same question at any given time).
-Seek help if needed.
-Try your best.

Don't:
-Forget that school is your "job" for now.

That's all I got. I teach in the states, but I bet a few things are universal.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
2,645 Posts
I just have a quote for you that can be very important for people who are studying

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Spike Milligan (one of the world's greatest comedian's ever)

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,191 Posts
The advice I want to give is that High school isn't your new world, even though it may be a hard time there will be a time after HS. So don't feel trapped, I remember I felt like that when I was at high school.

Oh, and pay attention during class! It will save you a lot of time when you study for a test.

·
1,341 Posts
This may sound lame, but it's never too early to start planning for your future.

Check out college requirements and start tailoring your HS education to lead you in the directions you want to go.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
mpdscott said:
I just have a quote for you that can be very important for people who are studying

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
- Spike Milligan (one of the world's greatest comedian's ever)
are you sure it wasn't Groucho Mark who said that?

·
Pure Venom.
1,572 Posts
Iron_Fist said:
are you sure it wasn't Groucho Mark who said that?
Indeed. It was Groucho Marx. Note the x.

Agate said:
Wear a mini skirt, It will get you good grades with more teachers than you think.
Well, seeing as he's a guy, i'm sure that'd only get him good grades from one kind of teacher...

LoC

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Don't: Go

Do : Stay home and sleep.

Seriously, the big thing to remember about Highschool is that it's pathetic. Remember all those gay little teenage drama shows with the crappy plots and demented love triangles and overdramatic cheerleaders with eating disorders cutting themselves? Well it's basicly just like that,only much more lame.Don't take anything seriously, and just remember that highschool is only four years long.

·
LO Zealot
2,512 Posts
Agate said:
Wear a mini skirt, It will get you good grades with more teachers than you think.
Yeah, tried that once, didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped.:tongue: (joking)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I only read the first page of this, but I'm actually a freshman in highschool (I can feel your scorn) And heres my list of Dos and Don'ts:

DO:
-Make a friend or two in all the little groups, they're like tribes, they'll scalp you if you don't have an in.
-DO THE GODDAMN WORK!!! You get *****ed at way more if you don't.
-If you decide to slack off then don't act intelligent, if you do they'll know you're smart and that A will become a B or C+ for "Lack of Effort"

DON'T:
-Get overly familiar with teachers, people will start thinking you a traitor. Highschool kids are like the Imperium, they fear change, they're afraid of different people, they worship a man in a golden throne *looks at spraypainted chair in corner*, and they never forgive traitors.
-Write depressing poems. Everyone hates those kids, they just bring people down.
-Lastly, don't get distracted. Keep focused and maintain a B average.

Your Brother in Age Demographic, SoS

·
Registered
942 Posts
Aidan said:
i am starting HS this year at a school wth many different cultures eg. Xhosa,afrikaans,english etc.
S any advice on HS or dos and donts ?
It consumes you like nurgles rot and when it comes to major exams you can barely squeeze personal time in:cry: . However on the bright side, get an education and you wont be a bum:shifty: Which school are you going to?

On a non-related note(just a quick question), Are you going to Icon in JHB?

·
Registered
942 Posts
As far as I know it is you, elfenn, Mordinkain and myself. elfenn isn't a regular and I think Mordinkain comes on occasionally, I know them from a SAfrican forum.

Pitty you arent going to Icon, I wish I could, sucks being an 8hr flight away:cry:

As far as the school goes, you should be fine. It is normally the same as Primary, except you are the new fish. Do you have to go through initiation( I had to in JHB)? The teachers are also harder and more strict but you should work hard anyway if you want to go to a university,etc.
Culture shock? no difference remember most of the people you went to primary school with also go to high school so its all the same. When you really get the culture shock is when you go overseas like me. I've survived as have millions of others, but you my friend, I doubt you will survive:yes: jk, no you will be fine.

·
Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
Do:

Your homework on time (if the teachers like you it saves a lot of bother, and lets you get away with more!)
Make friends- best opportunity to make friends this side of university, use it!
Play sports- if you dont want to be picked on do some sports, the usual bullying types are generally also sportsmen and women, they will; respect you more if you are seen as 'one of them' its also good for you and a nice break from the dry studying indoors!

Don't:

Struggle- if you are having problems dont keep it to yourself
Worry- Its honestly not that bad!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Edicius; it’s important not to take high school too seriously, at least not the social entanglements that always seem to occur when you assemble a large amount of teenagers in one location for a long time. The thing about high school that usually gets people down is the whole clique deal; many people seem to think of high school as nothing but a never-ending popularity contest which is almost impossible for anyone with half a brain to win anyway. My advice to you is to try to ignore the overly clichéd in-crowd of sports jocks and cheerleaders that seems to be a traditional addition to any high school class; being popular in high school means nothing after graduation – then it’s only your grades that count.

As for how to deal with many different cultures, I’m not really sure what advice to give you since I’m not all that familiar with any of those you mention. However, I doubt friendliness, open-mindedness, and tolerance would make a bad start.

And finally, as others have said, do your homework and be active in class; good grades are a lovely asset to have later in life. ;) Good luck!

~Greph.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.