Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seeing as i am not sure on different builds for a Highborn, i thought you could post your build and how it works for you, ie what units you put them i, on their own, support etc. I came up with three different builds, and i also want your oppinion on them:

Highborn 1 :
Black Dragon
Venom Sword
Enchanted Shield
Talisman of Protection
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak

Highborn 2 :
Black Dragon
Crimson Death
Black Amulet
Enchanted Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak

Highborn 3 :
Black Dragon
Executioners Axe
Blood Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak

I personally am tied with 1 and 2, 3 was ok, as you can see I am not getting rid of the Black Dragon. So what are your ideas?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm no, i also asked what your build was and what you think of my ones? or how to improve on them.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Personally I would take build 2 and switch the weapon and amulet for the Draich of Dark Power and Heartstone of Darkness.

I don't see any use for the other two builds really. Build 1 alright for challenges but the Talisman is really a waste since it only works 1/6 of the time. Not sure about the blood armour on build 3 at all. You need to kill things before your save improves and by that time ou don't really need the save any more. Heavy armour would be much cheaper and have roughly the same effect.

My highborn build used to be a fully kitted out cold one mounted fellow with blade of ruin or a lance and maybe the deathmask. He would go into a a cold one knight unit with a bsb with the hydra banner. It's a huge points sink but still no more than a dragon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I'm correct, the crimson death is a halberd which requires two hands to use, so can't be used with an enchanted shield. Is that highborn build allowed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh yes, i see that it is, well minus the enchanted shield and it would be fine.

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Although I dont have my book with me, I tend to build my Highborns mounted on either a cold one or on foot. Mostly because I like having extra hero slots, if you are dead set on a montrous mount what about using a manticore?

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Although I dont have my book with me, I tend to build my Highborns mounted on either a cold one or on foot. Mostly because I like having extra hero slots, if you are dead set on a montrous mount what about using a manticore?
Manticores don't have the armour save and still take up the hero slot. It's the same sort of choice as HE players face with griffon mounts really for princes. It might be interesting to see if a manticore attracts as much attention as a dragon though.

As I've said before I've always though about running a highborn in a monster unit of 8 cold one knights with a BSB carrying the hydra banner. That's a horrific number of attack and really should autobreak most non fear causers. It's horrendously expensive though.

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Manticores don't have the armour save and still take up the hero slot. It's the same sort of choice as HE players face with griffon mounts really for princes. It might be interesting to see if a manticore attracts as much attention as a dragon though.

As I've said before I've always though about running a highborn in a monster unit of 8 cold one knights with a BSB carrying the hydra banner. That's a horrific number of attack and really should autobreak most non fear causers. It's horrendously expensive though.
I think you need to re-read your armybook. On pages 26 and 27 it clearly states that only a beastmaster on manticore takes up an extra hero slot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
while i am no hard core fantasy player, i would go with normal heavy armour to save points, and then go with either the blade or ruin, or venom sword, maybe even a sword of might. Although, you could just give him a lance and armour of darkness. that would always work.

Personally, I actually perfer a highborn on a cold one with blade of ruin and enchanted shield(and heavy armour) that gives them a good enough save, IMHO. I only used this once, but it worked well in conjuntion with cold one knights and the hydra banner. They killed. Of course, that was at a friend's house... and my first game... and i also had Malus Darkblade in the unit... and I was fighting my noobish cousin with his all peasent bretonian army (or as close as you can get)... point taken.

Possesed

·
...or is it?
953 Posts
I don't like dragons, or manticores etc. because they are awesome-sometimes-but they're 200pt+ large targets, and don't make it to the front line.

My Highborns usually have a Dark Steed (fairly inconspicuous), Blade of Ruin, Lifetaker, Blood Armour, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and an additional hand weapon.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I don't like dragons, or manticores etc. because they are awesome-sometimes-but they're 200pt+ large targets, and don't make it to the front line.
I agree. They're just a huge points sink and don't really have the mega killing power of chaos lords and such. As you say they're also huge cannonball magnets.

·
...or is it?
953 Posts
However, I like taking hydras whenever possible. they always manage to survive, do tonnes of destruction, and deflect fire darawn away from my other units. Some players point out to me that sometimes they're gonna die before they reach the frontlines. But if your entire army was intended to be inconspicuous, all you'd have would be loads of warriors. You need SOMETHING big or they'll just shoot at the slightly-less-threatening targets.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
What about Gauntlet of Power + Magic Shield of Light? That's what my Highborn has and is in a unit of Cold Ones.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sorry, it's called a Mystic Shield of Light. My bad.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Oh, thats much better....I mean WHA?! :)

Regards, Tim
Yeah. I assume that he meant the spell in the lore of light. However no Dark Elf wizard can choose to use the lore of light. :S

Even if Dark Elves were allowed to use this spell, it would need to be cast during battle and is not an item. We're discussing item builds here.

EDIT:

I have found what he's talking about in army builder. Apparently it's a campaign item that was won or something. Weird...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts