Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am highlighting some red feathers, bows, and head bands, however I am at a deadend. I cant mix white and red because pink doesnt look right. I am unsure of the effect plain white has had. And because the red I am trying to highlight is Blood Red, I cannot find a lighter red to highlight it with. What do you suggest I do?

·
4,967 Posts
The best method I have found is to mix in some vomit brown. If you have a look at the Siam Harn eldar tanks that the GW studio often uses in its pictures you can see the effect they got with it.

You are right if you add white it goes pink. If you add yellow it goes orange, but adding vomit brown to blood red is a completely different type of warm hilight.

Adding dwarf flesh gives a simmilar effect but I prefer vomit brown.

·
is a hardcore rebel
793 Posts
Well, i always highlight red by getting your base red then adding a flesh colour.

i find this to be the best way of gowing about it.

Although, if you are starting at, say, red gore and want to go up, id add blood red and a bit of flesh.

this way you get a red tone that isnt orange and isnt pink :)

-DTG

·
464 Posts
There are many way to highlight red. Really what you are trying to achieve though through your highlight is contrast. You may be trying to highlight Blood Red but is that your darkest colour? One thing that I rant and rave about when it comes to shading and highlighting is harmony in the colours and that goes for shading as well.

Say you want to have a nice deep red. Well I might start off with Hull Red (VMC) and Add a bit of Gory Red (VGC). That will give a very rich red full of nice dark browns. Since Gory Red is so damn thin (at least mine is), I don't have a very hard time using just that as my mid-tone colour.

Now when it comes to highlighting I want to stick to colours that will harmonize well with the colour that I have used so far. Would I use white as a highlight...I could but there is little harmony in going from red/brown to pink. Any colour that is lighter than the colour you are working with could very well act as a highlight. Knowing that I was working with brown to begin with I would possible use a light brown to mix into red. Orange is very popular and to be honest orange is not a very long stone's throw away from brown is it?

At first I saw all highlights and shadings in a two dimensional "black and white" way. Very few thing in life are black and white however. Would you ever think of using blue to darken red? Probably not as blue and red will just make purple, but you would be surprised by the tones you can achieve in this manner.

Here is a little WIP that has red in it.

I hope it looks ok. I really don't have a camera rig to take good picture and the mini is very much so WIP but it will be up to table top snuff in the near future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The key to highlighting red is this...start with a desaturated dark red...and work your way up to a saturated red....red never really turns orange or pink in real life...that is what it looks odd to use those colors to highlight.

·
319 Posts
Well, short of repainting the mini, with a dark red basecoat, (mechrite) and then blending reds up through to a pure blood red highlight, you could try giving it a few washes with a dark red (scab red), watered down.-or some Baal wash, and then re-highlight with pure blood red.

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I undercoated black.
Then I painted the entire area with Reaper Lines Bloodstain red.
Then I took Reaper Lines Clotted Red and painted along the surfaces that light would hit the fabric the most.
I then took GW Line Blood Red, and accented the ridges.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I undercoated black.
Then I painted the entire area with Reaper Lines Bloodstain red.
Then I took Reaper Lines Clotted Red and painted along the surfaces that light would hit the fabric the most.
I then took GW Line Blood Red, and accented the ridges.
This is the exact concept I was talking about earlier. Thanks for providing a few good examples. Red is one of the hardest colors to paint because of how it highlights. I am an illustrator and it is also hard there as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.