Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup thats basicly it, when you start out with highlighting, experiment some with one layer, I have come to the point I always use at least 3 highlight stages. :)

It just asks some practise on brush control, practise on some old minis or minis you plan to strip anyway. practice is key on getting the hang of highlighting.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'd rather use a lighter shade of that base color itself before i mix ink into it.

If i highlight my Thousand Sons, the i usually do it this way:
I painted them with dark blue (usually by applying two or three layers of blue ink over white primer, that often works better than painting it the regular way, with normal blue paint).
Then i highlight with regal blue, in order to do this i took two drops of it out of the pot, enough for the whole procedure. When i finished this, i mix a little lighning blue into the regal blue which i still have on my palette (or i get some new out of the paint pot). However, for any following layers i just mix a little lightning blue into that paint which i used for the previous stage, this way it becomes lighter and lighter without much work - the paint autmatically becomes lighter everytime when i add new paint for a new layer. Once it reached a tone that is close to lightning blue, i continue the preocedure with skull white. Sometimes, with citadel colors, it's necessary to add a tiny amounth of water to the mix, in order to stop it drying. Vallejo colors work great for this, because they don't dry as fast as citadel ones.

jwu

·
Registered
492 Posts
a tip for highlighting . undercoat him in black and build up to the colour and then highlight . if you give one coat in the colour you want you can leave that in the shadowed areas , then give a few more coats on the areas you want the colour , then highlight , to highlight mix up a lighter shade of the colour , then wipe of the excess paint and use the edge of the brush to go along the edges , thats how i do it and it works grand for me , take those tips and your models will look alot better . highlights really complete a model , they make it look alot more real , the minis are to ...um....mini to pick up the light like real life size things , thats why we have to resort to higlighting to make them look more real , i hope this helps .

i hope i wasnt ultra spamming . :diespam:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.