Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hive Fleet Ruinas' WIP

"I, Hive Fleet Ruina, shall complete my 2000 point Tyranid Army by the end of summer"

- Hive Fleet Ruina's New Years resolution.

Welcome to my Work in Progress thread. As you can see above, I have set myself a challange, to finish my tyranids by the end of summer. I am aiming to paint around 2000 points of Tyranids.

This project will be updated weekly with blogs, photos of what I have done, family photos (army pics), what to do next ect. It would be nice if everyone could read my blogs, because I will have questions for the general audience in them. This project has been on and off for the last half year, but now is the time again to try and resurrect this project and finish it. My plan is to try and finish the 2000 point army by the end of August.

Better get ready then for a heck of 2 months...

- Introduction to Project.

In Progress:

20 hormagaunts

Completed:

2 genestealers

2 Zoanthropes

15 termagants

Army List:

HQ

(1) Hive Tyrant - Psychic Scream, Leech Essence & Hive Commander
- Bonesword and Lash whip & Heavy Venom Cannon

Points - 220

(1) Tyranid Prime - Rendering Claws, Death spitter

Points - 90

Elite

(2) Zoanthropes

Points - 120

(1) Hive Guard

Points - 50

(2) Hive Guard

Points - 100

Troops

(5) Warriors -
(1) Venom Cannon, Scything Taylons - Points - 45
(4) Death spitter, Scything Taylons - Points - 140

Points - 185

(12) Genestealers
(1)Broodlord

Points - 228

(21) Termagants

Points - 105

(20 ) Termagants

Points - 100

(20 ) Hormagaunts - Landing Spore

Points - 160

Fast Attack

(20 ) Gargoyles - Toxin Sacs

Points - 140

(3) Raveners

Points - 90

Heavy Support

(1) Trygon Prime

Points - 240

(1) Mawloc

Points - 170

Total Points - 1998

Troop Total - 112

Wound Total - 152

MC's - 4

Painting Plan

1. 20 Hormagaunts
  2. 3 Warriors
  3. 10 Termagants
  4. 3 Raveners
  5. 10 Genestealers + 1 Broodlord
  6. 1 Hive Tyrant
  7. 6 Termagants
  8. 1 Mawloc
  9. 10 Gargoyles
  10. 1 Trygon Prime
  11. 10 Gargoyles
  12. 3 hive Guard
  13. 10 Termagants
  14. 3 Warriors
  15. 1 Mycetic Spore
Painting Scheme

1. Flesh:

1. Undercoat Black
2. Dark Angels Green coat
3. Snot Green coat
4. Dry brush Goblin Green
5. Light dry brush Scorpian Green
6. Wash Thraka Green

2. Carapace

1. Liche Purple coat
2. Ultramarines Blue lines

3. Blood Red in fleshy parts
4. Mithral Silver on claws, teeth etc
5. Badab Black Wash over whole model

What I Have:

• 1 Hive Tyrant
  • 3 Warriors, 1 w/Venom Cannon, Scything Taylons, 1 w/Deathspitter, Rendering claws and 1 w/Deathspitter, Scything Taylons
  • 2 Zoanthropes
  • 12 Genestealers
  • 1 Broodlord
  • 31 Termagants
  • 20 Hormagaunts
  • 20 Gargoyles
  • 3 Raveners
  • 2 Trygon/Mawlocs
Need To Buy:
1 Warriors Box
3 Hive Guard
1 Termagant Box

·
Registered
759 Posts
You're a lot more organised than me HFR! I always mean to set deadlines, but either get bored, distracted, or get lazy and finish it my own time and not that set by my calendar.

I do like your paint scheme, the choice of colours makes them look very 'alien' indeed. In terms of what you need to buy, I know next to nothing about tyranids, but I would perhaps suggest some of the new raveners and possibly a Trygon/Mawloc.

Anyway, good luck with it all. A worthy resolution for the New Year indeed!

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're a lot more organised than me HFR! I always mean to set deadlines, but either get bored, distracted, or get lazy and finish it my own time and not that set by my calendar.

I do like your paint scheme, the choice of colours makes them look very 'alien' indeed. In terms of what you need to buy, I know next to nothing about tyranids, but I would perhaps suggest some of the new raveners and possibly a Trygon/Mawloc.

Anyway, good luck with it all. A worthy resolution for the New Year indeed!
Thank you very much! Buying is not a problem right now. I need to see the new codex and make the army list before buying needed models. After all, this is such an expensive hobby and money can't go to waste. I agree with the suggestions, those I will most likely buy (can you read my mind or something?) but again, I should really see what I need to buy before I get out my wallet! :)

I like to be organised, but sometimes I get ahead of myself and forget to paint! It took me around half a day to make this thread, for instance...

Really eye catching colours and different to anything I've seen in my area. My only critical obseravtion is the base. The red clashes. I'd think about reworking them if you have the time/inclination.

Good luck with all that work!
Yes, that has been bugging me as well. I have a few questions about what I should change it to.

1. Have green plants on the red base, giving it an exotic feel of green plants and red dust/dirt/earth.

2. Repaint it green and have green plants on the green base.

3. Any other ideas? Swamp/city/Ice world?

Thankyou for all the comments so far! I will be posting WIP pics by the end of the day!

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I promised, WIP pictures!

Two Zoanthropes that are due this week:

I know not very good quality. But it is dark now, and my camera has run out of batteries, so will have to wait to tomorrow for better photos.

The following are almost finished. Only the thing it stands on and the brain part is left to do!

Till tomorrow then!

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There! Done this weeks worth of painting.

2. Zoanthropes - unkown

Price - Unkown, rumoured to be 60 points each.

Pictures:

Will update all information and blogs tomorrow.

Enjoy!

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I will keep watching this to see how you go. Those Zonathropes are well done. This may interfere with your plans of painting 100 points a week, the brains are the fun part of the Zoanthropes. I think they could do with a little more attention, pink over the raised parts of the brains will bring out the look of brain better and make them look more creepy. Also the colour of the brains is too close to the colour of the carapace. Pink will make the brains look more different.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I tried to get pink on the brain. I dry brushed it on, but it seems that it was not enough. Probably I will now try to apply it normally to the higher areas of the brain...

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
End of week 1/Start of week 2 blog -

There! Got through the first check point! It was not even close, but it did cost me quite a bit of Sunday!

I am happy with the result of the figures. The skin is nice and deep like I want it, and it is impossible to say which type of green it is. That is the result I want. The Carapace was very annoying, especially with the paint always flacking off the metal...

Everything went smoothly apart from the brain. That was a new and hard experiance for me, and took me 2 days to get it to a effect that I wanted it to be. Leech helped me there, pointing out the lack of pinkness. The problem was that when I dry brushed the pink onto the brain the green parts became pink, and when I dry brushed the green green the pink became green as well. I had to, in the end, paint the pink on and dry brush the green.

If I had thought this through, I would have finished the model on Friday evening/Saturday Morning rather than Sunday evening.

The models are a bit fragile though, as I had to glue both models back together after falling apart from the weak joins from the glue, probably I put too much pressure on the model when I was painting.

The part I enjoyed the most was thinking of and painting the free hand markings on the carapace. I think it adds uniqueness to the army. I decided that every different type of creature will have different markings on it. That will look cool in the end in my head.

Still the same question as last week with the GW Spray gun, as no one has answered it yet.

What I learned:
1. Don't hold the model very hard
2. Don't do two different types of dry brushes on the same area. Dry brush one are that requires it more, and paint the other part.
3. Think the model through, including the unique parts, before starting. This would have saved me a whole two days...

And with that, here are the pictures!

To next week: I will paint 20 Termagants - Point cost unkown, rumoured to be at 5 points each!

Reactions: ChadMS

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Good Luck! And where did the pictures go to?

·
Slightly Right of Left
2,293 Posts
I really like that colour scheme and all in all the models look really good, my only critisim is that the purple looks a little flat nothing a little light washing couldn't remedy, keep it up mate

little off topic just read Blood_Lord's signature, think I nearly wet myself

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Those are some fantastic looking minis! I'm wondering, though, whether the green would benefit from a wash or something to give it a bit more depth.

Then again my eyes are tired and I don't know what I'm talking about a lot of the time, so feel free to ignore me and carry on regardless.

Reactions: Hive Fleet Ruina

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I really like that colour scheme and all in all the models look really good, my only critisim is that the purple looks a little flat nothing a little light washing couldn't remedy, keep it up mate

Damnit, I can't see the models:(

Hehe, as you should;)

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks! I agree that the purple is a little flat... Thats why I decided to do markings on them. Do you have any ideas for what to do? I am still reletavly new to painting models with this painting scheme and I am not sure what I can do without destroying the markings...

Those are some fantastic looking minis! I'm wondering, though, whether the green would benefit from a wash or something to give it a bit more depth.

Then again my eyes are tired and I don't know what I'm talking about a lot of the time, so feel free to ignore me and carry on regardless.
Maybe. I am painting Gaunts right now, so when I go to the local store I could buy a wash for the skin and experiment a little. I am thinking a green coloured wash in the GW range?

I have no experiance with washes, so anything you want to advise or add I would love to hear!

Sorry you can't see the pictures Blood_Lord... I can't do anything about it, it seems to work right now...

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far!

·
Slightly Right of Left
2,293 Posts
if I was you I would try this on a gaunt you are painting at the moment, before you paint the blue markings on the purple...water down a 75% leviathan purple/25% badab black OR devlan mud wash and then apply, that way you can see if it works to your satisfaction rest be damned, with regards to then applying it to the zonathropes you will just have to apply with great care im afraid, or just re-apply the blue markings, but taking extra care is probably best, of course you could just paint in the watered down wash mix to the recesses rather applying it to the whole area, sort of a hard one mate sorry, but I hope I have given you some ideas that might help

Damien

*edit*

Of course you could use the blue wash watered down on the entire purple and blue area, not sure what it will look like but you won't have to worry about taking care on the blue areas....definately try this option on a gaunt before you try it on those zonathorpes

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.