Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to compile a list of all the Tyranid Swarms that have come and gone in the game. Any help would be appreciated. Please include the following if contributing; name, fleet reference if applicable, color schemes, any details as necessary. Further back stories of each Player Created fleet can be located within this thread.

(Note on the color schemes, Bone is listed as your flesh colors, Chitin for armor or carapace and Veins encompass fillers such as tongues or muscle structures)

GW Created Fleets...

Leviathan, Primary Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Leviathan is the most recent Hive fleet to attack the known galaxy. Notable tales include the first Tyranid anti-virus and the Octavius Orc wars.

Behemoth, Primary Fleet. Red Bone, Black Chitin, * Veins.

Behemoth was the first major Hive Fleet to attack in the known galaxy. Notable tales include the fateful battle for Macragge (The Ultra Marines home world) and the warp jump of the Dominus Astra. It is commonly held that Behemoth was completely destroyed. But the information gained from hive fleet Kraken suggests remnant Splinter Fleets could exist.

Kraken, Primary Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Kraken was the second Hive fleet to attack the known galaxy. Kraken was notably responsible for the first sightings of Splinter fleets. Notable tales include the destruction of 2 Space Marine chapters, almost an entire Eldar Craft world and the defense of Ichar 4. The bulk of the fleet being destroyed, many splinter fleets still exist.

Tiamet, Splinter Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Tiamet was a suspected hive fleet that predated Behemoth. All information regarding it was lost after the arrival of Kraken.

Ouroboros, Splinter Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Ouroboros was a Splinter fleet involved with the Eldar race.

Colossus, Splinter Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Colossus was originally comprised of Zoats.

Harbringer, Splinter Fleet. Purple Bone, Black Chitin, * Veins.

Unknown.

Apophis, Splinter Fleet. Red Bone, Black with Yellow Lines Chitin, Green Veins.

Unknown.

Player Created Fleets...

Luncanus, Splinter Fleet. * Bone, * Chitin, * Veins.

Noted for its genetic preference of fast assault creatures.

Scorpio, Splinter Fleet. Purple Bone, Black Chitin, * Veins.

Noted for its strategic synaptic assimilation of damaged fleets.

Grendal, Splinter Fleet (Leviathan). Tan Bone, Blue Chitin, * Veins.

Noted for its genetic concentrations placed on larger sized creatures.

Wyvern, Splinter Fleet. Blue Bone, Purple Chitin, Green Veins.

Noted for its part in the 2nd Tyranid Wars and hostilities toward Scorpio.

Nidhöggr, Splinter Fleet. Orange Bone, Red Chitin, * Veins.

Noted for its genetic preference for ranged attacks after initial infiltration.

Ophiuchus, Splinter Fleet (Kraken). Leather Green Bone, Bone White Chitin, Purple Veins.

Noted for its tactical infiltration prior to ground assault.

Hades, Splinter Fleet (Leviathan). Off White Bone, Light Purple Chitin, * Veins.

Noted for its major role in the Octavius Orc wars and genetic adaptation for ranged attacks.

Atropos, Splinter Fleet (Behemoth). Blue Bone, Red/terracotta Chitin, Green Veins.

Noted for its survival of Behemoths destruction and reintegration into Leviathan.

Bahamut, Splinter Fleet. Black Bone, Gold Chitin, * Veins.

Unknown.

Chimaera, Splinter Fleet. Scorpion Green Bone, Codex Grey Chitin, Black Veins.

Noted for its genetic preference for armored carapace and plasma bio-morphs.

Toxicus, Splinter Fleet (Kraken). Charcoal Bone, White Chitin, * Veins. 2nd Version; Black Bone, Dark Silver Chitin, Green Veins.

Noted for its genetic preference toward toxic bio-morphs

Critter, Splinter Fleet (Leviathan). White Bone, Black Chitin, Purple Veins.

Noted for its abilities to Psychicly commune on an animal level.

Cerberus, Splinter Fleet. Red Bone, Purple Chitin, * Veins.

Unknown.

Keres / Sarcolestes / Venator. Bleched Bone Bone, Dark Angel Green Chitin, Light Green Veins.

Noted for its genetic preference for numbers.

Add your own!

Reactions: Leech

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
My Hive fleet is called Hive fleet Scorpio. This is because I convert loads of my Tyranids to look like scorpions. About names and colour schemes. I gave my hive fleet a name by using how I convert them. I think that giving a hive fleet a theme can certainly help to think up a name for it.

Colour schemes depend a great deal on personal taste. Because I have played with Tyranids since the second edition of 40K, I can resonably claim that my hive fleet is older than many others. By accident, not design my clour scheme has similarities to Behemoth, the oldest of the larger hive fleets. Basically Behemoth has black carapace and red exoskeleton. My hive fleet has black-green carapace and purple exoskeleton. Purple is red with some blue added. Basically it isn't hard to imagine that my hive fleet may be a close relation of Behemoth.

Also because I have played with Tyranids for a decent while, it can be imagined that after Behemoth's destruction my hive fleet was still lurking about and went unnoticed by the Imperium. I don't think my hive fleet was the leftovers of Behemoth just lurking in the general vicinity. Saying that two hive fleets are related can be a source of fluff and a colour scheme.

My hive fleet also takes over weaker and badly damaged hive fleets. It does this by joining them in assaulting a planet and providing replacement synapse creatures over the conflict. Then the once the planet is defeated the targeted hive fleet has it's swarms taken over by Scorpio synapse control and it is consumed along with the planet. This idea is based upon slaver ants. Here is the Slaver ant Slaver [email protected] This has given my hive fleet the slang name of the Slaver hive. Try to chose an animal or a particular part of the 40K fluff to help out with designing a hive fleet.

Hive Fleet MolochThis is hive fleet Moloch, which also includes a reference to a few others.

Here is a page about Tyranid hive fleets in Wilkipedia. It contains info on Hive ships and so on not just the hive fleets themselves. Tyranid Hive Fleets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should try to remember the forgotten fleets as well. I'm not sure all that is on those links there but I also remember a hive fleet called Harbinger in the previous codex. There was also a web site about it but I can't find it anymore.

·
663 Posts
Mine is Splinter Fleet Grendal. Blue armor and tan skin.

·
Game Over boys
1,048 Posts
Mines Hive Fleet Wyvern. Its had a minor skirmish with Hive Fleet Scorpio, which resulted in the BuggyFex being spawned and an advanced scout vessel took part in the second tyrannic war.

For names, look up mythical creatures on the web. There are tons! The colours should really be dictated by your fluff. My nids recently devoured a toxic planet, and so the colours are vibrant and venomous. If youve just munched a hive world, your fleet would be dark and grey. Also the older fluff had all the tyranids being fairly multicoloured. Reds and purples for the most part but there was an interesting sidenote in the game tyranid attack that as a tyranid grew older, it lost its colours and turned a bone colour. Perhaps you could have a really old fleet thats been wandering around for years. I dont think ive ever seen a bone army!

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts
And mine is the Hive Fleet Nidhöggr.

In the norse mythology Nidhöggr is the evil dragon that slowly eats away at the roots of the Tree of Life and I find that kind of fitting...

Painted in red/orange and mostly geared towards shooting but with a healthy numbers of Stealers in there as well.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Names drawn from monsters in Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Nordic mythology are standard for Tyranid hive fleets and splinter fleets. If you can work some sort of snake or bug reference in there too, that's also good. I call my army Splinter Fleet Ophiuchus, after the constellation Ophiuchus (which translates to "the serpent bearer" in ancient Greek).

As for the paint scheme, whatever floats your boat is the only limitation. Keep in mind, though, that all the chitin and carapace plates are usually painted differently than the flesh/exoskeleton. For instance, I go with a standard bone color for the armor plates, teeth, and talons, but I use a sort of dusty, leathery green for the flesh, with faint purple highlights in the various folds and recesses. In the rulebook, there's an example of an army where the staff guy painted his 'nids completely black with red eyes and bone-colored teeth and talons, and then used a bunch of yellow shades to paint Rorsarch patterns (the colorful warning patterns you find on butterflies and poisonous insects/frogs) on the carapace. He also wrote an article with pictures of his Apoc army, which you can find in the Apocalypse section of the website.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine is Hive Fleet Hades. I'm still working on the "fluff", but it's a very small branch of Hive Fleet Leviathan. This small branch has survived many battles vs. Orcs and have such developed very effective ranged tactics. Their colors are similar to Leviathan, except their skin is a lot more off white and the purple carapaces are a little less purple.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I have a little more time, I'll redo the first post with some basic information of the hives, color schemes and whatnot. Maybe it will get a sticky. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Atropos, Splinter Fleet. Red/terracotta chitin, blue skin, green soft bits.

Hive fleet atropos Atropos was the oldest of the Three Fates, and was known as the "inflexible" or "inevitable." It was Atropos who chose the mechanism of death and ended the life of each mortal by cutting their thread with her "abhorred shears." was originally a small part of hive fleet Behemoth, in hibernation and floating through the galaxy after Behemoth's destruction. When a severely damaged bioship from hive fleet Leviathan drifted past the remnants of the once great fleet and got mercilessly absorbed, hive fleet Atropos finally emerged, like a phoenix reborn from it's ashes - and had the biomass needed to once again start devouring whatever laid in it's way. It also had access to all the ranged bioweapons available to Leviathan, and decided to make good use of them!

The colour scheme is (sort of) an inverted version of Behemoth.

600p worth of 'nids 8X

64 painted in 2 days :0

Rawr!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My army is "Hive Fleet Bahamut," obviously from the summon in Final Fantasy. Funny thing is i never really liked the game that much. My scheme is kind of different, gold shell with black flesh. I'm not much of a painter, and im very impatient (very bad combination). They overall look "okay," dont have any pics though. O, and i was wondering, how do you strip paint? As i was spray painting my models, i had put way too much on some of them and need to redo them. Thanks!

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
HF Chimaera Chitin-codex grey, Scorpion green flesh, black vein, black tounges.

All capable units use bio-plasma and extended carapace. The hive fleet is notorious for being tough hided and leaving everything in it's wake aflame.
(working on getting picks hopefully in a couple days I can edit them in here)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am the Primogenitor of Hive Fleet Toxicus, a splinter of the Kraken that managed to survive the Exterminatus (Tyranid codex fluff, pg. 26 & 27) of my campaign world, Lacuna Excrucio and spawned a whole new wave of the monstrosities. It consists of several broods of the torn up survivors, pale and skeletal from their time in hibernation, and masses of the new genus, dripping with toxins absorbed from the myriad virus bombs that the planet was inundated with.

The survivors have charcoal-greyish skin, with porus, white extremities, white exoskeletons, and are often missing limbs or eyes, or have other near-fatal, scarred-over injuries.

The newest broods of Hive Fleet Toxicus have slimy (ardcoated) black skin, a silvery-black carapace, and bright green veins/trygel pockets/joints/innards, and almost always have Toxin Sacks or Toxic Miasma.

·
663 Posts
Didn't know that Fluff was wanted,

My fleet splintered from Hive Fleet Leviathen. It was part of the pincer that was first engaged by the Imperium. Due to the speed in witch the imperium moved to counter this and bypassed several worlds. Left to grow on its own It was very susessful untill it encountered a hive world under the protection of the Imperial Fists. After several pitched skirmishes the tyranids finaly engaged the chapter in the main Hive city in the planet. The Tyranids were eventualy victorious but the fleet suffered such lose of biomass that it went into reclusion shuning major conflict and targeting lightly populated worlds. The Hive Fleet was last spotted in the Ultima Segmentum near the Malstrum moving North West.

The Fleet was known for its high consentration of fast guants however now it is goin into reclusion it has an incresingly large number of Warriors along with an incresing number of monsterious creatures.

(My fluff is alittle my own and mostly from what I have gamed with my friend through the creation of my fleet.)

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Oh, you want backstory? Well, I'm happy to give it...

Hive Fleet Ophiuchus is a splinter fleet of Kraken that has been confronted and driven back in several engagements, but always manages to grow back to full strength by preying upon poorly-defended backwater worlds or absorbing any smaller splinter fleets that it encounters (I tend to lose a lot, so this is a fluffy excuse for using my army over and over against my friends :p). Ophiuchus uses genestealer cults to infiltrate the populace, and then disgorges its ground forces to overrun the rest of the planet. I use a general-purpose swarm army with a Hive Tyrant and a Broodlord as HQ choices to represent these mixed tactics.

Most recently, Ophiuchus's invasion of the planet Fantremar VII was used as a diversion by Chaos sorcerer Zacharias the Heartrender to allow him to locate a powerful artifact without any meddling from Inquisitor Lord Cavarien or his allies, the loyalist Dawn Runners chapter. While the Dawn Runners and the PDF (my friend's Imperial Guardsmen) engaged the Tyranid swarms on the fields of battle, Cavarien hunted the powerful Broodlord that had initially infiltrated the planetary capital, and Zacharias searched for the artifact, a sentient tome that contained spells he hoped would be able to summon a powerful Daemon Prince into the galaxy. However, the Broodlord's hybrid servants had been drawn to the tome's psychic signature, and so an epic three-way guerilla battle between the genestealer coven, the Inquisitorial strike-force, and the Chaos Marines erupted in the caverns beneath the planetary capital. Above, the Tyranids had almost breached the capital, but fell back in disarray when Brother-Captain Gabriel Mithras Brightfist led a counterattack that managed to defeat the Hive Tyrant. Zacharias stole the tome and hurried for the surface. Cavarien killed the Broodlord and pursued Zacharias out of the system, destroying the book in the process. The Hive Fleet abandoned its decimated ground forces and changed course, fleeing deeper into the Imperium, the Dawn Runners hot on its trail. What will become of Hive Fleet Ophiuchus, or the unfortunate worlds in its path which are even now drawn beneath the Shadow in the Warp?

Sorry for that long backstory tangent...I couldn't help myself :p

Reactions: Leech

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Sorry for that long backstory tangent...I couldn't help myself :p
That's ok, it was an interesting read. Your Hive fleet has an interesting history.

Revelations I think you have explanations about hive fleet colours. It is good how you have listed our fleets with small explanations. My Hive fleet has purple exoskeleton and black carapace/chitin.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Hive Fleet Critter

The Origin of Hive Fleet Critter

During the destructive wake of Hive Fleet Leviathan, ravaged worlds and countless deaths were not the only thing left behind…

Sometimes, in the ravaging path of a Hive Fleet, Tyranids are cut off from the others. Without the control of the Hive Mind, these creatures become leaderless and beast-like—often evolving into new forms over successive generations in order to survive in their new environment.

One such group was trapped on the world of Criat IV during the pincer-like invasion on the underbelly of Imperial space (997.M41). At the edge of the southernmost invasion a small but powerful warp storm suddenly appeared, cutting the tiny planet and its single sun off from the rest of the invasion. On the wind-swept, icy side of the planet the remnants quickly lost purpose and went into hiding, hibernating deep into the cavernous northern mountains. Their sleeping minds reached out, ever searching for the call of their Hive. For years, no call came...

Kreaker was a skilled hunter, who enjoyed bringing down large beasts and sledding them back to his native village as much as he enjoyed the drunken proceeds of his quest in the local pub. Being a very primitive planet, the natives were unaware that Kreaker was a latent psychic, and potentially a very powerful one. His displays of precognition and limited telekinesis were often used to entertain the pub on the most frozen and inebriated of nights. These strange abilities, combined with his legendary skill as a hunter, made him a favorite of both the villagers and the dancing gypsy women that traveled to entertain there. His fame spread throughout the wintry wastelands—and unknown to him—this almost provided his undoing.

Long after the Warp Storm subsided the Black Ships came, looking for fresh psykers to take back to the Throne. They descended upon Kreaker’s village, killing anyone who opposed them and taking Kreaker captive. Throwing him in the hold with the other psykers, Kreaker was nearly starved (there was no reason to feed him, for the trip to the throne would be short). Kreaker began to hunger as the Black Ships searched the world for more tithe. Angry over the senseless death of his fellow villagers and the cruel treatment by his captors, Kreaker’s mind reached out, more powerfully than it ever had before.

Somewhere in the deepest mountains, a swarm of creatures awakened…

When rescue came, it came in the form of tendrils and talons, hulking bodies of chitinous armor, tiny mouths and terrifying forms that emerged from the mountains to pull the craft down and break it against the peaks.

Kreaker stood to face the shifting image of the partially hidden creature in front of him. Rather than strike, the beast offered up the tattered flesh of it’s prey…

TL:DR version: A group cut off from Hive Fleet Leviathan ends up being controlled by a Psyker instead of the Hive Mind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The title I have given my hive fleet is Hive Fleet Cerberus, the three headed demon dog that guards the gates of the underworld in greek mythology. It has a simple colour scheme of Red flesh and a Purple chitin.

It hasn't won many games, but the best game i had using it was yesterday in an apocalypse game, the seven army participants were, Tyranids (with allied Necrons), Chaos and Imperial Guard (with a Hellhammer and a Mecharius Mk II heavy tank) on one team, and Tau, Eldar and Black Templars on the other.

The victors?............................ Tyranids, Chaos and Guardsmen slew many Eldar, Crippled the Greater Good's morale and Obliterated the stalwart defence of the Black Templars!!!!!8X

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fleet name

I've been trying to come up with a few names for my Hive Fleet.

Its color scheme is primarily bleched bone skin and dark angel green carapace with lighter green feathering. Mostly a swarm army.

So far I have Keres (which I cant figure out how to pronounce) which is plural for Ker, a female death spirit in roman mythology.

"The black Dooms gnashing their white teeth, grim-eyed, fierce, bloody, terrifying fought over the men who were dying for they were all longing to drink dark blood. As soon as they caught a man who had fallen or one newly wounded, one of them clasped her great claws around him and his soul went down to Hades, to chilly Tartarus. And when they had satisfied their hearts with human blood, they would throw that one behind them and rush back again into the battle and the tumult."

I also might use Sarcolestes, which is a type of dinosaur. Its name means flesh robber.

Or even just Venator, which is latin for hunter.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updated the first post with some more information provided. If you would like something specifically changed or mentioned, shoot me a PM or something. I have debated throwing the pictures on there too, but not sure how that would work out with the growing list of Fleets. I'd say just put them in your post so viewers can look at your Fleets and read the more detailed histories you include.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.