Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like I've said in other forums, I've been playing against, and with strangely enough, new nids. My space wolves have had an interesting time of it, mostly becuase Jaws has been annoying a lot of them (not my nids...yet). Hence I can take down 685 points worth of them, Trygon prime, and 2 carnies, with a 100 point rune priest.

But in a recent game involving my opponents hive tyrant, no one was able to settle a rules dispute. He rolled a 6, I said,
"6's always fail your hive tyrants gone."
Him:"you can subract one from the roll because I'm a monstrous creature, so that 6 is a 5."

Who's right? (I'm pretty sure I am, but this is the first and only time this has come up)

·
Registered
260 Posts
You are right and that Hive Tyrant was supposed to be removed from the table. The description for JOTWW is clear in stating that a 6 is always a failure, regardless of modifiers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
natural six ALWAYS fails. It doesn't matter if it's a Keeper of secrets (monstrous creature, initiative 10), if he rolled a six, he's gone.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
But even still, a natural six fails just like a natural one for everything else.
Only for "to hit" and "to wound" rolls. Not everything else. There are plenty of situations where a roll of 1 does just fine. (Armor penetration, for example.)

·
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are right and that Hive Tyrant was supposed to be removed from the table. The description for JOTWW is clear in stating that a 6 is always a failure, regardless of modifiers.
Don't have my SW dex in front of my nose right now, but as I recall the two SW players there (I was one) both checked our dexes and since RAW didn't say "regardless of modifiers" all we could do was say, "fine it's still there."

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
and since RAW didn't say "regardless of modifiers" all we could do was say, "fine it's still there."
Verbatim, from the Space Wolves codex, page 37, states "Though remember that the roll of a six is always a failure."

He rolled a six. He failed. You must have been playing an extremely stubborn opponent if they insisted that it was still alive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.