Librarium Online Forums banner

Another Hive Tyrant or another Carnifex?

• A hive tyrant

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • A carnifex

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Neither, explain with post.

Votes: 4 12.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been playing quite a few games recently, (im still kind of a noob though), and Ive been finding it hard to pick between another Hive Tyrant, (Dakka Tyrant in specific), and a Sniper Fex. They actually cost pretty close to the same. Give me some of your ideas.

·
It's a Trap!
1,750 Posts
Well, for you're situation, I think it would be best if you gave us maybe a copy of the list yo ussually run or what you already have, as both serve relatively different purposes, (the tyrant being mainly anti infantry and light tank while the carni is obviously ong range tank destruction as well as anti infantry)

If I had to have my pick, I think that I would pick the tyrant as it is more destructive and all around more of a flexible thread, assuming that you already have a sniper fex or two in your army to handle the heavier tanks. If not, and the list already has anti personel in abundance, I would definately go with teh sniper fex.

Both are rather flexible units that can serve more than one purpose, but it depends what will work the best in you're army IMO.

Warrior

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yea, I can't give an opinion until I know at least what kind of Hive Tyrant and Carnifex you already use.

So tell us!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm using a dakka flyrant, and a sniperfex already.

Then I would get a second Carnifex, either another Sniperfex or one with a Venom Cannon, TL-Devourer and Spinebanks. A second Hive Tyrant can wait.

You don't have enough heavy ranged support which is generally provided by a Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler or Devourer on a Carnifex. I personally don't like the barbed strangler, but it's up to you. So my vote is for another Carnifex.

·
It's a Trap!
1,750 Posts
I would have to agree with Zen based on what you have told us. Two devil tyrants is a little excessive when you only have one serious anti tank and long range unit. I would throw in another sniperfex to the list.

BTW, how many points are you playing?

·
Registered
744 Posts
2nd Sniperfex, then 2nd dakkatyrant, for now

I disagree with Zen on the barbed strangler, though, /fingerpointlaugh

But we do agree that a second Carnifex should be next.. :)

And off topic, but if the rumors are true about all blast weapons using scatter instead of rolling to hit and having no "partial hits", then I will start using the Strangler much more often.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I think you should go with another Hive tyrant. You already have a Sniperfex so I would suggest you go for something new with a Hive tyrant. Hive tyrants work very well with a venom cannon and scything talons. Typically they get a fair number of other biomorphs to go with these weapons.

They are good as they can provide support with thier venom cannon as they advance and give you good synapse backbone for the swarm. Also when they get close adrenal glands, toxin sacs and implant attack make them very good for carving up people in assault. I would suggest psychic scream as a psychic power and combine the effect with three Zoanthropes.

Have those Zoanthropes with warpblast and keep them close to the Tyrant to benefit from it's synapse power. Assaulting the Hive tyrant becomes very difficult with the horro working and the huge LD penalty of four combined psychic screams. You can then assault the models who tried and then were forced to gawk at you instead because of the horror.

Basically the Hive tyrant is one of the best HQ units in the game when it comes to actually being an HQ and bossing everybody about. This is because of it's synapse power and ability to also help in other ways such as mentioned using the combined effects of multiple psychic sreams. Also you can use things like a bone sword. Many HQ units act as big tough assault units and little else. You should take advantage of the Hive tyrant's ability to be a big nasty HQ instead of simply big and nasty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
neither for the simple fact that why get another Carnifex or Tyrant when you can spend those points on another unit of Raveners or Guants (a cheap unit of course).:rofl

·
Registered
37 Posts
If u have allot of troops then a hive tyrant would be best, the synapse support can be vital.

but if u have ample synapse support then the long range guns of the carnifex are going to provide more help then anther hive tyrant can

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i kinda maxed out the troop choices with some relatively small broods (10 gaunts/7 stealers)
Suprisingly the poll is favoring the tyrant, i did not expect that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It depends, largely, on the scale of each game you play. If you play at, say, 1000- then two or three MCs will be fine (and a devilfex counts as HS).

If you're playing at 1500s, you'll almost need two sniperfexes.

Still, what you should do is get three more devilfexes, your dakkatyrant (or a tyrant with 2x scytals), and six ripper bases and play 4 MCs in a 500 point list. >.>

That's always fun the first time you pull it, especially if your opponent is really into terminators (even they roll 1s sometimes >.>)

·
1,256 Posts
I think another big picture piece is who you are playing, or what they bring. Against skimmer heavy lists I do like the vennom cannon/devourers--you can't penetrate anyways so you might as well get some shots in. I would bring two of these because my stranglers never seem to hit when I fire at troops...if you are liking your fex I would bring the same sniper you have now though.

If you are fighting troop heavy lists I would bring the dakka tyrant; he is too nasty to pass up on if you are fighting infantry...121 points or 101 on the cheap allows you to get more stealers as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i played the game this army was for, and i won!!!8XIt was against necrons.
This is the list
I'm not saying the ups but they're basically the ups you should give them.
Dakka Flyrant-196

Dakka Tyrant-146

Dakkafex-113

Warriorx3 RC Devo-105

Genestealerx6

Genestealerx6 All with +1sv

Genestealerx6

Genestealerx6

Sniperfex-203

Screamer-destroyer-146

Ravener RC-40

Ravener RC-40

1469 total

It was really kinda close, but after i killed the tomb spiders and Heavy destoyers, he couldn't do much to my MC's. He killed everything except the Screamer-destroyer, Flyrant, and dakkafex. I PO'd him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.