Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i was thinking some, and i noticed that it didn't say anything about "when you are to apply it to a troop"
So lets say i have 2 different troops in reserve, i get two available. Now, can i choose then witch one i want it to get the troop bonus?
I had an idea:
All are troops
10 Terma
1 Tervigon
2x20 Hormagaunts

Heavy
2 Trygons

I want my both Hormagaunts in reserve
Calling in reserves. Fail one, success one.
Now in turn two i atleast get one Trygon in.
And i choose the one i get in to take the advantage of the "hive commander rule" Outflanking Hormas here i come!
Turn 3 i should like with ~ 83,3% chance getting in the last Horma, and they instead comes out from the tunnel?
(Since one can only use commander)
Just an idea i came up with today, it has to work right? And damn it must be nasty! ;)
With a little luck this can be pulled off, definitive worth it!

Jim.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
No, you pick one troop unit before the game and the unit outflanks.
The bonus on reserves is applied to your entire army.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok i can buy that if you can prove it somewhere.
All i can see is "a single unit of troops may outflank". As in only one unit can benefit this rule, but still it doesn't say when to pick the unit, maybe just one troop that IS available? Sorry if i an stretching this but as i am seeing this at the moment i can.
Nothing that says "Pick/select one before the battle begins"
Sorry just that if i cant find it i cant really believe it right? Until proven! ;)

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
You can NOT outflank during the game. Look it up in the rulebook, you declare outflanking during the deployment part.

·
815 Posts
What's to prove? It's two separate sentences. First sentence applies to picking a unit to be allowed to outflank. Second sentence applies to rolling for reserves. If the reserve roll only applied to the unit allowed to flank, the sentence would say so!

·
Registered
516 Posts
It doesn't say it in the codex because it's spelled out in the Main rulebook. You declare outflankers, at the same time you declare who/what is going to stay in reserves. Just go read the outflanking rules and you should find it.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
I don't know if anyone has said this about Tervigons before but if you want to outflank units in the middle of a game use the scuttling swarm rule to stick the Tervigon in the troops section. Then choose the Tervigon to outflanking by using Hive commander. That thing can (if you're lucky) shoot out Termagants when it arrives on the side of the table like a case of bad diarrhea. These extra bugs are in effect getting to outflank as the are birthed where the Tervigon shows up at the side of the table.

·
249 Posts
until the following turn that is.

first time i used the tervigon, i did this. he ended up on the far side of the table away from all the action. wasn't very stoked to be honest.

rule of thumb is that i'm going to keep the tervigon in my deployment from the first turn, so he has the option to start spitting out termagants from the get-go. also being able to cast catalyst and buff units around him is invaluable too. especially for DoW missions, an extra MC on the field on the first turn that will start spitting out more troops? yes please.

it'll be a rare occasion if i ever use Hive commander to bring him on in outflank

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I do honestly have to say the most important part about this ability for most lists will be the +1 and the synergy it can provide. Giving the opportunity to take Tervigons in an all reserve list and all.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is a Tervigon a she or a he? Because I get a definite "broodmother" vibe from her, what with the spawning babies and then having psychic powers designed to protect those babies...probably not important here though.

·
240 Posts
Is a Tervigon a she or a he? Because I get a definite "broodmother" vibe from her, what with the spawning babies and then having psychic powers designed to protect those babies...probably not important here though.
Tyranids all have neither male or female as they don't reproduce.. they are created.

The closest to having a sex would be the Norn Queens who are the 'brood mothers' of the swarm.. They design and create all the species of the swarm from the microscopic bacteria to rippers to gaunts to hive tyrants to the hive ships.

Though most Terran species 'enjoy' :)kissing:) different sexes.. it IS a rather inneficient way to reproduce...

-Dragons

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Tyranids all have neither male or female as they don't reproduce.. they are created.
Many Tyranids do reproduce. Hormagaunts lay lots of eggs just before they die. This is however done without the need for a mate. Things like the Domniatrix, geno-organs in tyranid ships and brood nests also produce new Tyranids. There is alot of info about how Tyranids reproduce, some of it very dodgy. The Norm queens don't produce all the Tyranids, it is just that htye are involved in cooking up their DNA. On their own the Norm queens could never process the amount of bio-mass the Tyranids consume or produce all the Tyranids responsible for consuming it. Things like Tyranid weapons grow their own live ammo (young). The Biovore's Spore mines are also it's young. Mother then fires the kids at people and watches them explode.

What you're talking about with reproduction is how we do it, a male and a female. Tyranids are aliens so they can have a new way of doing it that is no less valid than our own. The idea is to make babies of one form or another. I think a Tervigon is more fun if it is called a female.

·
240 Posts
What you're talking about with reproduction is how we do it, a male and a female. Tyranids are aliens so they can have a new way of doing it that is no less valid than our own. The idea is to make babies of one form or another. I think a Tervigon is more fun if it is called a female.
while all you said is true.. I'm just saying that 'female' and 'male' are terms that don't apply to the type of production of the Hivemind, and I never said it wasn't valid.. I said it wasn't fun! XD There is no 'mixing of the genes' to produce random(ish) growth and mutation in the species.. this is fairly closely controlled and in no way resembles what species with male and females does. Even the Genestealers whom ARE born of male and female have a 'theft' element that makes them alien.

anthropomorphizing to call the Tervagon's Female or any other Tyranid female or male can be just fun.. and it sure makes it easier to NAME them ;) (something else the Hivemind doesn't do!)

-Dragons

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just for my (and my opponents fun) all MC in my army are female and all the smaller creatures are male :D :D :D

Being in Southern Europe, it's easy to use male/female article and adjective to differentiate them ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts