Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Besides the obvious what are your hobbies, not work, not school, but hobbies?

Also if you want to include why you chose the hobby and whether you are currently active in it go ahead.

Mine are:

Target shooting, mostly paper targets but I also shoot trap. I got into this years ago when my dad bought me my first gun which I still have, my good old ruger 10/22 with a wood stock and scoped. I haven't been shooting lately because of the price of bullets and lack of ranges in my area.

Treasure hunting, well more like metal detecting but I like the former because it just sounds nicer. I got into this strange hobby for reasons I can't even remember, and though it's never yielded anything but loose change and the occasional tan it's still been fun.

Reading, yeah I know who doesn't but it's fun anyway. My reasons are like everyone elses, I like Tolkien and Jordan and even sometimes a philosoher or two!:)

Which brings me to my next hobby, writing. Yes I write stories and poetry which I hope one day to get published and turn this one time hobby into a career.

Now on occasion I do like to plunk around on my guitars or my banjos, it's deffinatly a hobby as I'm not very good. It's an odd story how I came upon this as a hobby, you see I was watching the movie "The Alamo" and it came to the part where "Davy Crockett (Billy Bob Thorton)" plays his fiddle in time with the deguello and began thinking I should take up the violin. Well one thing led to another and I ended up buying a banjo, an instrument I love and feel doesn't get the rocgnition it deserves, as well as a guitar.

Well I do have a few others I feel I have said enough, so it's your turn now.

Oh and feel free to comment on mine!:)

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
ok,

piano, been playing for 6-7 years, started learning 2nd Concerto by Rachmaninov.

table tennis, been playing for 2 years

Tennis, been playing for 6-7 years, classified as "average" by Australian standards.

reading, like fantasy, sci-fi and others.

drawing, am not that good, but I do it when I have time...

thats it really, I think...

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
My hobbies are:

Ok the obvious one... mostly gathering minis, modelling them and painting... a very rarely seen player! But I don't know for how long I will keep this hobby!

Paintball for some time now...

Listening to music... At some point of my life and for 7 years I was playing piano but I totally gave that up!

Playing basket with friends! Was playing professionally but due to an injury had to give that up! :beer:

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Beyond WHFB,40k stuff my hobbies/interests are:

Football (Soccer to our colonial friends)- I play 5-a side once a week and have done for the last 10 years, as well as playing in various teams since school (although less now to be honest) I also support a team (Wrexham) and often go to watch their games.

Music: I love music of all forms, and listening to music is one of my great joys. I have been known to Dj now and again, usually hip-hop and World music- a friend and me used to do a Brazilian night at a local club which there is some talk of resurrecting.

History: Im a big hiostory nerd, and im lucky enough to live in North Wales, home to some of the UKs best castles. So i like a jaunt around them.

Food: I have a love of food and love messing around in the kitchen trying new cuisines.

Films: I spend the remainder of my spare cash (after buying minis) on DVDs and Bluray, and like nothing better than settling down in front of a good film with a few beers

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
History: Im a big hiostory nerd, and im lucky enough to live in North Wales, home to some of the UKs best castles. So i like a jaunt around them.

Food: I have a love of food and love messing around in the kitchen trying new cuisines.
You have the castles and we have all the ancient ruins... History freek here too!

And as for food... you should see me and you will understand! :act-up:

·
Will eat your soul.
567 Posts
this may sound odd but: yoyo's. I can't get enough of them. I myself was shocked when I found out they were a real sport. but then I got hooked.
I've dropped 60$ on a yoyo before. :p Totally worth it.
Guess it's not that weird when most of us do spend our money on little plastic men ( I mean miniatures :))

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
You have the castles and we have all the ancient ruins... History freek here too!

And as for food... you should see me and you will understand! :act-up:
A couple of years ago I went on holiday around mainland greece, saw quite a few ancient ruins- very impressive!

Delphi in particular was amazing.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
For me its:

Guitars:
I own four guitars, though only two of them are any good, my Epiphone Les Paul Custom and my Jackson DK2M. I try to play as much as I can, but I never manage to play as much as I want to. I have a severe case of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and the only thing stopping me buying more is that my GAS clashes with the fact that I'm a student surviving on student loans.

Heavy metal music:
Yup, I'm a metalhead. I practically worship bands such as Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Blind Guardian etc. and naturally this is the style of music I play on my guitars.

Drinking tea, real ale and single malt scotch:
What else can I say, they're all fantastic beverages!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
For some reason, I don't seem to find a lot of time for my hobbies. I work full time, so that accounts for about 45 hours a week (I'm including travel time)

What time I do get seems to get mainly spent on miniatures. I seem very slow at assembling and painting, so that takes a lot of time as well.

But I do get up to a few other things. Such as...

Social sports
I play squash and mixed netball. I'm not very good at either, but it's only for fun and fitness, so I keep going.

Music
I used to play the piano, but I rarely get around to it these days. I did have a bit of a go the other day; it's been too damned hot to do anything, and I didn't want to put on a TV or a computer as they just make more heat. So I mucked around on the piano for a bit.

Aside from that, I listen to music a lot. A lot of different stuff, though I prefer what's generally classified as 'Alternative' music.

Out-doorsy-type-stuff
Hiking, bushwalking, tramping... I don't know what it's called in different areas around the world. But it basically consists of loading up a backpack with everything you need for a few days (predominantly water, food and a tent) and spending those few days wandering around the bush. Generally following a trail or at least aiming for some objective, and not just wandering around helplessly lost.

Photography
Something I'm just sort of getting in to, but I brought myself a reasonably decent Digital SLR recently and have been playing around with it. I'm hoping to combine this hobby with the one listed above, and come out with some good pictures.

Writing (and reading, though not so much)
I always think I should read more than I do, and that would help with my writing. I don't manage to do this, but I do manage to write random ideas and stories that come to me, and be reasonably pleased with the results. I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but a lot of people dream of writing a book so I shall as well.

In the meantime I'll just be most verbose in my posts here. Sorry. It's just a hobby.

I think that covers most things. A spot of computer gaming, although I don't think I do it often enough or seriously enough to count it as a hobby.

·
Hero of War
1,348 Posts
Other than 40k, I have a few loves/hobbies:

I love football. Don't play so much at the moment, although planning on joining the police force team in the summer. Love watching it, as well as playing Football Manager on my PC and Fifa on the 360.

Big fan of films. I enjoy going to the Cinema with the Miss' if there is something decent to watch, or watching at home, and have an annoyingly large number of DVDs which are going to be a pain when moving in a couple of months.

Biggest hobby other 40k at the moment is photography. Bought myself a Nikon D60 last summer and have been trying to learn how to use it since. Started up a website for local photographers in Guernsey so hoping to get better there!

And thats about me really! Most of the time I'm writing my damn dissertation for Uni, but thankfully that will all be over in May and I'll be out to try and find work!...

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Drawing: I suck at it really, but I'm working on it. I can draw planes and stuff (to a degree) but people are straight out of the question.

Reading:
I love reading all kinds of stuff. There's really nothing I don't like to read. I especially enjoy alternate history and sci fi. I'm a male Yomiko Readman.

Models: I got into 40k because I liked the minis. No surprise that I also assemble and paint model planes? My current project is a Bf 109 painted khaki with the stars and bars inverted in color (blue field with red bars.) This is based on Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series.

Writing: I enjoy writing a lot. Mostly essays on various subjects (I'm weird, I steal the essay topics from school and write about them on my free time), compile reports based on date from data mining, fan fics to piss off the fans, fiction for myself, or a roleplay thing.

Data mining: Oh god I love this a lot. Give me a topic and a library and time and I'll hunt down a lot of stuff on it. Someone wanted to argue with me on the Stryker combat vehicle and the M1 abrams and how great the stryker was and how crappy the M1 was. A week later and MANY congressional reports read, he was proven wrong. I even interviewed an infantry officer on the stryker. I'll go through census reports and stare at statistics just because it's somehow entertaining.

Learning:
^^ Yes, I enjoy learning something new. I try to learn something new everyday. If I don't, I get bored. It has to be relevant to my interest though.

Cooking: Who doesn't love being able to make something good? Spend hours hunting down the perfect recipe to that buffalo chicken sammich? And then nearly burning down the kitchen when you try to make it. XD

Gaming: This is a major one. I love my video games, my board games, my card games, my table top strategy games, stuff like that.

Discussion:
Who doesn't love talking and discussing with friends and family? My only problem is, there's no one that really gives me a good discussion like my dad. I mean, a good discussion the kind where I come out learning something new or the kind that lasts days.

Paintball: Namely woodsball. Running around with my friend covering my back as we rush to take the middle flag? Covert ops behind enemy lines? D-Day scenarios? Where do I sign up!? =]

Development:
I enjoy taking an idea and making it better.

I think all my hobbies are interlinked to an extent. I think that's all the hobbies. =]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts