Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as a result of the Hobby Duelling League thread overseen by C/-Rt3r, we have another one of these challenges underway!

The Challenge is between myself, Ilkar and jikil. We are each to paint a single 40K Chaos Lord by the end of September, and then in truth I'm not entirely sure what happens. Some form of voting to determine the winner? I dunno, but it should be kind of fun!

This thread is just to show our progress, should we wish to. And general banter/good-natured smack-talk.

Gentlemen, start your brushes!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're both worried about coming 3rd, why not try bribing me! I don't mind the shame and derision likely to befall me for such a result... :p

On a slightly more serious tone, I'm currently tossing up between a Night Lords and Thousand Sons colour scheme, although I'm favouring the Night Lords. I dunno, maybe I should go with the Thousand Sons so we've got three of the four Chaos gods accounted for. Regardless, it looks like we have some interesting variation for this challenge!

Currently my guy is entirely black so I don't think WIP photos are warranted. Maybe in a couple of days...

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Progress!

Yes, I went with a Thousands Sons scheme, to a degree. I began to wish I hadn't when I tried to paint the yellow, although I think I've got it to a stage I'm happy with now.

Not quite sure if the lava glow look I was going for is working, either...

I think I should slow down, though, as I kind of feel like I'm rushing this guy. I haven't started his arms at all though, aside from priming, and he'll look a bit funny without them if the end of this challenge arrives before I get to those!

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
The idea is to put up a voting thread to determine who wins the duel. Really everyone wins though, you get a nicely painted model out of it, as well as sharing work on LO that might not have been seen otherwise. Nice lords there fellas.

The yellow isnt bad Deadstar. I wonder if the blue is done or do you plan to bring it up some more?

I like the pose of the dudes arm Ilkar, it looks pretty neat, like he is sweeping down at something as he speeds by.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure on the blue. I was going to wait and see what it looked like when the painting was a little more complete, and make a call then. It does look a little dark though...

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soo... It's rather quiet in here...

Of course, I haven't been helping matters because I haven't been posting updates. But I'm pretty sure I'm close to calling this guy finished. A few areas left to put some paint on, some bits to tidy up...

And the somewhat significant fact that his arms aren't glued on yet, and I don't have any superglue. Well, I have bottles of superglue, they just have all this solid stuff in them, which is of no use to me whatsoever.

And just so this post isn't me blatering, here's a hastily taken shot of this guy's claw, which I'm quite proud of. The painting, that is, not the photograph. Although you probably can't see what I'm on about because of the photograph! Ah well, within a week the full shots should be up, so I'm sure you'll all cope.

·
Registered
229 Posts
the blades are really cool deadstar... looking forward to the whole model :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Slaanesh Lord Completed!

I took this oppertunity to try a couple of new things- first time I've tried any freehand (gold icon on the black shoulderpad) and blending (mutation into pink shoulderpad and on the tail). I was trying to make it look like he was well on his way to daemonhood. Hope you like him. Less than a week left for the other two! New voting thread up when you're done?

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Ah, how did this duel thread get past me? Looking good for the two of you who have WIP pics and I'll be looking forward to the unveiling of the third lord :soldier:. Will be watching that which goes on in this place with great intent...

·
Lurkbot
404 Posts
this is shiney im riken it....maybe i should spend less time gaming and lurking on ther duels and focus on my own....my model isnt even soylent greened....er simple i meant simple....

anwhoozle now that i digressed id come back with a dissapointment at no nurgle representation, big papa is sad.

cheers
the ever distracted Bcom

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ha ha! Good stuff there Ilkar! So far you're winning!

I meant to mention that I narrowly avoided disaster yesterday. Was it yesterday? I guess so... Anyway, action replay of what happened;

Deadstar's brain: Hmmm, that gold on his knee could do with a wash, I think...
Deadstar's hand: Grabs pot, flips lid open. Dips brush in and begins to slop wash all over the gold
Deadstar's brain: Wait a minute... That looks a bit dark for a wash...
Deadstar's eyes: look at pot... see 'Chaos Black'
Deadstar's brain: Argh!! PanicPanicPanic!

Luckily I managed to get it all off before any serious damage was done... and then I found the Brown Ink I'd been meaning to put on there in the first place...

·
has a ca-fading facade
518 Posts
Deadstar's brain: Hmmm, that gold on his knee could do with a wash, I think...
Deadstar's hand: Grabs pot, flips lid open. Dips brush in and begins to slop wash all over the gold
Deadstar's brain: Wait a minute... That looks a bit dark for a wash...
Deadstar's eyes: look at pot... see 'Chaos Black'
Deadstar's brain: Argh!! PanicPanicPanic!
Haha, don't we all know that one. I managed to make a wide swath of goblin green through my WIP orcs the other day when the pot slipped. Of course, it's never the dried-up pots, always the fresh ones that ooze paint.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, I'm calling this guy finished - And well before the deadline, too! (What's the world coming too?)

So there you have it! A somewhat Thousand Sons looking Chaos Lord. Hope you all like it!

I'm sure C/-Rt3r will do something with voting once jikil gets his photos up, so look out for that. Until then, I have a Black Coach to go back to.

:soldier: (painting helmet?)

Reactions: ZOUNDS!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts