Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OKay in light of loosing to a huge ork horde i need to know some effective horde killers to add while maintaining the ability to deal with MEQs. OTHER THAN LANDSPEEDERS!!! I have in my army 3 6 man squads of double plasma, 1 squad of devastators (missiles), 7 bikes in squads of 4 and 3. I have an 1850 list which adds another squad of missile devastators and makes the bikes 5 man(2 meltaguns each and powerswords for sergeants) and adds a heavy bolter attack bike and a whirlwind. I have been considering heavy bolter devastators. What do you think?

forgot to mention I also have a dreadnaught which I usuall kit out as a tank hunter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Drop all the plasma ect, what i hate it MULTIPLE shots.. so the hvy bolter is your best bet ^^

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
drop all the plasma....the only things I'm going to not put in would be attack bikes and the second missiles devastators and whirlwind. the thing is I still want to be able to take out MEQ armies

·
Registered
443 Posts
heavy bolters are gonna be your best friend in this one so drop the plas.:yes:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Your problem is a basic one, you lack a solid core of tactical marines.

For marine horde killers, it's best to have a solid shooty base of bolter armed marines and roll lots of die, rather than max out on the fast attack. Taking 30 odd point bikes when your facing an army of 7 point Orks is simply unnecassary. I would never play shooty with less than 30 basic marines, you have 12. Also I don't see the point about Whirlwinds. Anyone who remembers the old nastiness of Tyranid Biovore acid rounds (wound on a +4) will know Ordinance Templates hurt with or without AP3. Roll a lot of wounds, and it doesn't matter about the armour saves.

Here is my current 1500pt shooty list, undefeated to Orks or Nids. Obviously I'm not being unreasonable and asking you to copy it, but it's what I find works.

Chaplain - Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack 121pts

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Extra Armour 110pts
Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Extra Armour 110pts

5 Man Tactical Squad (All squads in this list are armed with Bolters) - Lascannon + Plasma Gun 100pts
5 Man Tactical Squad - Lascannon + Plasma Gun 100pts
10 Man Tactical Squad - Missile Launcher, Powerfist Sergeant 190pts
10 Man Tactical Squad - Missile Launcher, Powerfist Sergeant 190pts

10 Man Assault Squad - 2 Plasma Pistols, Powerfist Sergeant 260pts

Whirlwind 85pts
Whirlwind 85pts
Predator Annihalator, Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armour 150pts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually I have 18. 3 6 man squads. I forgot to mention my 10 man command squad. My full list for 1500 has 46 guys. i will re-do and post in army lists section

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think those HB devastators would be a good idea...
12 shots per turn, thats one genestealer squad gone right there!
HB, is going to be the key for you to win. In my list of 1500pts I have 7 HB normally and 10 vs horde armies and, trust me no horde player has ever got multiple squads into combat with my front line!

Happy HBing!
HPA

·
Registered
282 Posts
Age old question, anti horde or anti MEQ

I've got to agree with both Addoran, and High Priest Avion, you need to cut out some of the Plas and add shots on target. Best way I can think of is the HB dev squad and max out your Tac squads. The new forte of the Marines is the rapid firing bolter. 10 man tac squads when coupled with an assualt squad adds up to lots of rounds on target followed by a devestating assualt. I call this my Hammer and Anvil teams, 10 man tac squad and 10 man assualt squad sans jumppacks. Like Addoran said, add more bodies to your list. Think about the numbers 30 bolter rounds (20 from tac, 10 from assault) followed by 30 CC attacks and thats just the stock set up without any special weapons. What 40k army has a single squad that can absorb that? Not a Orc mob! Maybe the SOB's with power armor but even then only a 20 sister squad could expect to hold.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You need a core of marines to chew up your opponent with small arms fire before they reach you, but let's face it, they will reach you. When they reach your line you will not be able to shoot them, duh, and when they kill your front line (I'm supposing they will since hoard armies tend to do so) they will need to die fast before meeting with another unit in CC tieing up another shooty unit. So here is where HB's come in. Let's start with what you have.

- 3 units of 6 with double plasma, that's 2 plasma guns (not plasma gun & plasma cannon I assume??), so you are using traits. Then leave these, no need to add heavy weapons here, you don't want to. Spread them in an arc infront of your main group, 7" in front. Then put your missile dev squad behind them and....well you have nothing else. I bet if you put a 10 man tactical squad here with a HB that woudl be enough, or a HB dev squad.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
on the dreadnaughts i find that a twin linked heavy bolter is overall better than the assult cannon. its not as good at taking down armoured targets or heavy monster things, but it has the extra 12" range and re rolls misses so its good for chewing up nids or orks

·
Registered
648 Posts
I agree with a lot of the posts here. Drop the plasma weapons, its not like they have too much 2+ saves in a horde army. And if they do, just use a dreadnought or something to take it out.
Basically every gun in your army can kill troop orks because of ap
Tactical squads (u should have at least 3) are the most valuable unit as standard bolters really mow things down.
Heavy bolters would be the obvious choice to anti horde armies and a Devs squad with heavy bolters sounds like a good idea but its better to split the firepower into the tactical squads as it lessens the point cost and it gives u more options in a firefight.

U don't need the bikes too much, against orks they can easily be overwhelmed since its still only one wound and one bolter *twinlinked but still marines don't tend to miss*

Attack bike squadrons are a different story....heavy bolters that can move really really hurt.
If u have a predator, equip it with a lascannon on top for kanz and stuff and choose the side sponsons according to the amount of heavy armor the enemy has.

I would have your dreadnoughts usually do this usually because I don't like assault cannons on dreads (poor range for a unit I rather have hunting tanks and mostly because my termis have 2 assaults in their ranks already)

this is what I would possibly do for your style of SM.....my strategy is hard to incorporate if u haven't planned on using bunches and bunches of assault marines. (I have like 25-30 in big games)
But flying flamers drop orks fast especially if the tactical squad behind fires into them afterwards to thin the line for the assault (they should be dead enough for the marines to massacre) And they can tank hunt pretty well with meltabombs if there's some cover to hide from heavy fire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts