Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok question on magic phase involving horrors.

i cast "indigo fire of change" from one of my mortal casters. spells states that all models in target unit take a str 2 hit. any kills caused by this spell will create horrors from the models slain.

the question is......assuming spell goes off and i get some kills, i now have a new unit of horrors in the middle of my magic phase. can those horrors cast their bound spells?

everything i've read indicates they should in fact be able to use their magic ability....ie bound spells power level= to 1/2 unit size(rounding down).

i recently played a game and was told i could not cast bound spells with my new horror unit on a turn in which they "came into play" but i was wondering where in the rules that was stated.

granted my idea was cheesy as hell, but to be denied the ability to be cheesy, just on account of the cheesy nature seems rather like rules lawyering. if i can't do it, i won't cheat, but if i can legally abuse the ability, for the potential power level 1-2 spell i might or might not cast, it's worth trying.

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
hobokin said:
assuming spell goes off and i get some kills, i now have a new unit of horrors in the middle of my magic phase. can those horrors cast their bound spells?
Sadly mate, the answer is no.

Horrors created by the Indigo Fire spell cannot cast spells on the turn they come into play. The reason for this is in the Hordes of Chaos army book, on the page where it details the Horrors and lists their spells, it says that "each unit of Horrors may cast one of their spells at the beginning of your magic phase" (or words to that effect).

So by the time a unit of Horrors has been created by Indigo Fire, the 'beginning' of your magic phase has already been and gone. The Horrors will have to wait until the start of you next magic phase before they can cast one of their spells.

Admittedly, like many GW rules, it's one that just seems to be mentioned in passing. Casually thrown into a sentence that appears to be simply describing something, rather than a sentence which is clearly a formal rule. :hmm:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, i am an idiot. perhaps if i picked up my book and read it.
yeah, it clearly states in the last sentence describing their spells, "horror unit may cast one of the following spells at the beginning of their magic phase". i had just never noticed it, and when it came up, we glanced through the rules and neither myself or my opponent noticed it. another random guy in the shop just said "no" but didn't explain.

this brings up another point though about timing issues. nobody has ever mentioned in what sequence spells were cast. according to this, the horrors must always cast before casters. so then if i choose to cast a spell via dice pool from a mage, then i've lost the opportunity to cast with the horrors that turn. is this true of all or most bound spells?.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
hobokin said:
is this true of all or most bound spells?
No. Usually with bound spells you can cast them when you please.

·
Tabletop Terraformer
1,405 Posts
hobokin said:
i had just never noticed it, and when it came up, we glanced through the rules and neither myself or my opponent noticed it. another random guy in the shop just said "no" but didn't explain.
Yeah, it's not very helpful when someone says 'no, you can't do that', you ask why and they just say 'because you can't'. :hmm: If I ever tell my opponent they can't do something or they've got a rule wrong I always explain why and quite often show them the relevant part of the rulebook (though sometimes this is because they don't believe me!) :lol:
hobokin said:
is this true of all or most bound spells?.
It's a Horror specific rule, as Rork's already said, generally you can set off normal bound spells whenever you like during your magic phase. However, unless you have several units of Horrors, the chances of them actually getting a spell off isn't great.

Although they should have a decent casting value (about 6-8), because they're set off at the start, you don't have a chance to try and drain dispel dice with other spells first. Sometimes though, this is a benefit to you if you aren't too bothered about the Horror's spells. They can help you drain dispel dice so that your opponent's magic defense is weakened by the Horrors spells, your more powerful sorcerer spells are then more likely to go off successfully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts