Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I loved all the novels, until now with the decent of the angels it is the worse book I ever read. I am on page 150 and it still sucks did anyone else read it, does it get good or what?

·
1,037 Posts
im afraid it doesnt in my opinion ive read all the horus series at least four times but descent of angels i only finished it so i could at least say i read it. It has some important things in it *the name cypher for instance and the relationship between lion and luther but other than that meh.

Its not a bad book but it is slow and kinda dull and its really not on par with the others

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Decent of Angels, a book that i woundnt even burn to keep myself warm on a cold night

To me it is the weak link in a chain of great books.
But just like star wars ep.1 it’s been made now so we have to suffer its existence.
But I think the story is dull, it seems out of place in regard to the rest of the series
I mean it could have a good ending to the Horus heresy novels since to my understand the heresy was over by the time the Lion discovered Luther’s betrayal.
I much rather would have enjoyed learning about the origins or first days of the Luna Wolves or the World Eaters.
The Dark Angles are just meh. Are they loyal? Are they secret traitors? Who cares!
Not one of the main characters made me want to care whether they lived or died.
Why were space marines allowing a whole planet of humans evade compliance? I mean the White Scars legion could and bloody well should have rained hell on that world but instead they just hand over the task to some one else so they can go fight? Er what? A whole Human planet that is clearly dragging its heels in every way to become compliant the White Scars does nothing!!! The world was even tainted by Chaos and they were too stupid to notice. For god sake, what the hell were they doing?
And the final battle of the book was just rubbish. Come on the author just invented a super power which has not be seen before or since in the fluff or the game? Why carry weapons when you can just put your hand in your enemies body and remove a vital organ? Why has the power not become common place since it’s so powerful?
And why the heck did the Lion who was clearly freaked out by the fact one of his knights not just lop his head off. Instead we now face a second book of dark angel doom and gloom.
If I had to rate the book I would give it 2 out 10. Were I would rate Horus Rising 9 out 10.
Lets hope the next book (Legion) is a step up on this pile of steaming grot poo.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
so far the series has been phenomonal, the first 3 were fantastic, then theres Einstine and that was just nailbiteing!!! and to top it up Fulgrim blew me away in a haze of superhuman bending!!!

Then decent of angels came along and.... well, need i say any more than its a load of Crappola!

·
El Presidente
137 Posts
Gotta agree with you peeps here! Although Descent of Angels is a good book it seems so out of place in the Horus Heresy series!
A book about Horus instead of the Lion would have been a way better move imho!

Does anyone know how many books there are left? GW staff says only 'Legion' and 1 more...
But it would be a insane to end such a great series in 2 books :?There's still so much to happen with all the legions that is important in the heresy! No way they can put that in 1 book (leaving out the 'Legion' book)

Concerning the Betrayal of Luther and the whole Dark ANgels fluff... the book did get me interrested in it (Prior to reading the book I didn't know anything about them) does anyone have a good webby where you can kinda find out what happened between Luther and the Lion? The book keeps this a secret in that damn open ending!

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
my local store manage seems to think we can expect another 5 minimum, i hope this is true not just guess work.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Descent of Angels was just terrible, imo. The ending is so... bad. I mean, yes, it makes you wonder about some things a bit, but overall not worth the time and energy spent reading.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think 'Descent of Angels' is important for understanding the internal conflicts in the Dark Angels Legion and the duality of Luther’s and the Lion’s relationship, being at the same time closest allies and fiercest rivals, which will eventually cause the sundering of the Legion and the creation of the Fallen – but the book in itself is definitely weak both in storyline and writing, quite failing to catch the attention of the reader, unlike the previous books in the series.

However, I believe we still have great things to expect from the Horus Heresy novels; next in the line is 'Legion' by Dan Abnett himself, featuring the ever-cool Alpha Legion ('I am SPARTACUS ALPHARIUS!'), and I’ve heard rumours of at least ten (!) additional books in the series – there’s no way Black Library is letting this end with so many awesome novels still in potentia, just think of all the Legions we’ve yet to hear about at all! Abnett has mentioned planning a future book on the Thousand Sons, and in his own words ”...we’re building the scheme of the Heresy. It’ll take quite a long time, because it is an epic event, and we don’t want to short change you.”

Not to mention the grand finale, the Siege of Terra, which will be written as another trilogy in reverse order of the introduction, starting with Ben Counter, then Graham McNeill, and finally Abnett himself composing the ultimate battle between Horus and the Emperor!

*Wipes drool from keyboard.* Yup, definitely a delicious future treat for us fluff fanatics. ;)

~Greph.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
As Greph said, we have a great deal more books to come; with at least ten more books being rumoured and the Heresy itself having only just played out the opening stages.

I do believe it was said around the time the first three were published that there would be a book to every legion, so at least eighteen, each one slowly working its way to the siege of Terra. (At the time, I believe it was decided that they were not going to cover the siege and battle between the Emperor and Horus.)

The problem with Descent of Angels is that it is to slow a book and does not cover the same kind of ground as the other Horus Heresy books. Not a single one of the other novels ever gave us an idea of the history of any of the previous legion homeworlds, the effect of the Imperium finding those worlds, and the effect on each of those planets as some of the heroe's and villains we all know and love/hate become astartes themselves.

Descent of Angels feels like a prelude to something further down in the Horus Heresy; something that needed an introduction now because to much needs to go on later for it to be put off. I definately think that the Horus Heresy series has not seen the last of the story of the Dark Angels...:C

(Oh and Greph, I don't know about you but I'm actually hoping that the fight between Horus and the Emperor is not done; instead I hope that we arrive on the scene with Dorn, to late for the battle but not to late to see the damage wrought and the final sacrifices that had to be paid in order for Horus to be stopped.)

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
no way man, we have to see the fight!!!!

and im glad Abnett gets the last one, he is the strongest BL wrighter in my opinion.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Who Was Horus?! Was He A Tyranid? If So Then He's Godly!!!!

Who Was Horus?! Was He A Tyranid? If So Then He's Godly!!!!
No Horus wasn't a Tyranid you dumbarse! Go back to the hole you crawled out from loser.

No Horus wasn't a Tyranid you dumbarse! Go back to the hole you crawled out from loser.
Wow! We both have the same login name, avatar and post count! We should be friends!

Wow! We both have the same login name, avatar and post count! We should be friends!
That is GODLY!

That is GODLY!
I'm a TARD!

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
STOP. NOW.

I've had to merge about 5 of your posts now. You're receiving a serious infraction, and I'm going to do my best to ensure you don't return.

Katie D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks, Katie.

Darkreever, put like that I’m really in two minds about the final duel between Horus and the Emperor; on one hand it is the defining moment of 40k history, shaping the fictional universe in general and the Imperium in particular as we know and love it today, and I would feel insurmountable disappointment at being cheated out of witnessing it first-hand, so to speak. But on the other hand I do agree that perhaps even Abnett’s epic writing skills would not do this monumental moment real justice, and vague allusions to the fight might spur the imagination to imagery beyond mere words as befitting a true battle of gods.

Still, my favourite piece of Heresy fluff is the old story of Horus realising in his last moment the truth of his unspeakable treachery and how he was manipulated by Chaos to betray everything he once stood for, falling to his knees before the mortally wounded Emperor and begging His forgiveness, which the Emperor grants before destroying His most beloved son lest Horus fall prey to the Ruinous powers once more upon His death. This single small piece of fluff made Horus real to me, more than a mere cardboard villain, and I would love to see Abnett’s take on this scene, considering his proficiency in writing believable characters.

If this turns out to be little more than the average hack-n-slash on a slightly larger scale with additional clichéd one-liners flying through the air at a 1:1 ratio with the bolter shells, however, I agree I’d rather be left in blissful ignorance. :?

~Greph.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
But on the other hand I do agree that perhaps even Abnett’s epic writing skills would not do this monumental moment real justice, and vague allusions to the fight might spur the imagination to imagery beyond mere words as befitting a true battle of gods.
The thing about Abnett's character's, for me at least, is that it takes him more than a chapter or a single book to get the right feel for any one character. Like the Gaunt's Ghosts series, once we got to a certain point and the major characters began to die each and every death became a reeling blow because of everything that had been written for them. (To this day I still reel at the death of Try Again.)

40k fluff has always dictated that it was the primarch's that played a role in every major aspect of the Heresy down to the endgame, and only then did the Emperor make the final move. If Abnett did the fight then I'd think we would have to little developement of the Emperor's overall feel and feelings and it would be little more than the Horus we have seen fall from grace fight the man he called father and now calls traitor.

As for the siege of Terra, I know its rumoured that it will be a trilogy for the entire event, but is that going to be enough? Think about how much theres going to be in all that, Sigismund vs Kharn, Lucius and the Emperor's Children ravaging the innocents of Terra, the shatttered titan legions fighting, the fall of the space port, the Dorn's gambit and the White Scar's mission, the fall of Eternity Gate just to name the smallest fraction of major events.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
As for the siege of Terra, I know its rumoured that it will be a trilogy for the entire event, but is that going to be enough? Think about how much theres going to be in all that, Sigismund vs Kharn, Lucius and the Emperor's Children ravaging the innocents of Terra, the shatttered titan legions fighting, the fall of the space port, the Dorn's gambit and the White Scar's mission, the fall of Eternity Gate just to name the smallest fraction of major events.
I think it'll be enough, because going by the Dropsite Massacre part of Fulgrim, massive battles can be detailed with respectable detail yet not take up massive amounts of space.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
STOP. NOW.

I've had to merge about 5 of your posts now. You're receiving a serious infraction, and I'm going to do my best to ensure you don't return.

Katie D
His friend has done this before, and to be honest only a complete idiot would actually do something like this, obviously he wouldn't want to toy with the powers that be in such a stupid fashion.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
His friend has done this before, and to be honest only a complete idiot would actually do something like this, obviously he wouldn't want to toy with the powers that be in such a stupid fashion.
This isn't something that belongs in this section. If you have an issue with the way things are handled, take it to PM with either me or a Supervisor.

Katie D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts