Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the thing. A couple of days back one of my friends told me he was going to play his first battle soon. This made me think of what we use as a battlefield, and I came to the conclusion that we REALLY need some decent terrain. However I think the trees available at GW are a bit expensive, so I want to make some myself. Any :idea: 's :?:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I experimented with Lego trees some years ago. I took the trees dipped them in glue and then flocked them, then painted the tree trunks. Back then I used a different flock than the GW one, and it didn't look very good. But I think it would have looked acceptable with the fine grained GW flock. Anyway it's just an idea...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read a WD that was about making palm trees, but I'm sure you could make different kinds of trees if you don't like that look.

Basically you make the trunk and branches out of wire, it’s a skeleton so to speak. If you want 6 branches cut 6 lengths of wire. Twist them all together so the stay in place and fan out the branches symmetrically. A good thing about this is you can plan ahead and make the length extra long for uprooted roots. The bark can be made very convincingly with gauss soaked in Elmers glue, messy but it makes the best bark I've seen. And of course add the foliage. Acrylic paint makes the best texture for leaves and such.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Palm trees

Try getting some slightly curved small twigs from the yard, take 1/2 inch masking tape and wrap from bottom to top overlaping the wrap by half.
For palm fronds go to your local craft store and get green and brown feathers. Cut and trim to shape then glue on. Paint the masking tape bark to suit.
I used this method for a Nam diorama incorporating an M113. Turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you have a fairly large collection of WD, i suggest you look at the article that... errr whats his name...the lizardman guy...Nick Davis , I think.
He had a big article called "Jungle fewer" there they show you the most hints about trees and jungle terrain.

Aquarium plants are a good bet, cheap too.

As I have said before, the book "How to make wargames terrain".

Salut!

·
DING
1,740 Posts
Right the trees i have a home are too types both should look really good if i ever got around to painting the bases
1. Evergreen trees: I made these by ripping up the old fake christmas tree we had in the attic for ages. The christmas tree was a good quaility one and the trees looked good only they did not stay up very well in the styofoam that i placed them in so i would recommend using a wire clippers to first cut the christmas tree up and using PVA glue to stick them into what ever base you want to use. They are also great to use as hedges by just lying them on their side
2. This one is a bit morbid. There was a death in our family and there was a large amount of perment wreaths left around. The leaves where mainly fake ivy. There is a hole which has around three leaves coming out of it so i just basically stacked these on cocktail sticks and stuck the sticks into the base i was using with PVA.
The best thing about both of these methods is that they both provide large amounts of trees. I would have no difficiulty completely covering a 4foot square table completely with trees.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The starting point is to find the tree trunk. The easiest and most effective way is just to pick up twigs outside that are small and look gnarled enough to resemble mini tree trunks. I find that bits of root are exactly right and are less brittle. But be warned they do snap easily. The other method for a tree trunk is to use wire of the sort bought in hardware stores. Cut short lengths and twist them together to make a thick trunk. The wire can then be painted. It is a good idea to stick the trunk on a firm base, I just use an irregular disc shape cut out of card for the base and cover it in flock. For the foilage I use sponges, loofahs, moss and green scouring pads.The sponge, loofah or scourer has to be chopped into chunks, whith those rougth looks it makes it look good. and stuck onto the top of the trunk...painted of course.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehe, yet another idea to try out. We have some buildings and stuff, so we have some terrain at least, but trees are good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I very nice looking and easy way of making big jungle trees I use is to get some thick wire (around 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch is a good width) and twist them together leaving some length for roots. Glue the roots to a spare cd and cover all the wire with plaster or wall filler. That builds a good trunk. Then all you have to do is glue some silk leaves on top and add some of that spongey moss stuff to cover the glue blobs.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The simplest for me right now is just to make them out of old dry twigs.
We had an old apple tree at our cabin further south.
The tree is almost dead so the twigs were fairly dry already, pretty gnarled too.

Ofcourse I got a whole lot of GW trees at home, but the look of them is to uniform... there's no difference in them.
Other trees that I use is just the ones that you find at the model railway hobby stores, these have a great variety and they aren't that expencive...
For anyone in Rogaland, Norway, I advice you to take a look at O.Sæland in sandnes and Hustvedt in stavanger

·
Registered
1 Posts

I used milliput to make a small spike (trunk) stuck to a heroquest counter (small round one). I then cut an old sponge, cut it into shape and then dip it into green paint and squeeze excess paint out. Wait until it drys and then make small hole in bottem and glue it on the spike (easy), Using this method I created 14 trees in two hours. Dont forget to paint the trunk and flock the base. When the paint dries the foam becomes stiff making it great to drybush and finish it off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well one way is to just cut out a base about 1cm thick, slanted from top to bottom, and put some green flock on it. Its not the most detailed way but it does represent trees. It kind of looks like a realy thin hill. Thats what I and the other people from where I go to play games use as trees. Whatever works...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This must be the oldest still-active thread ever! Dragonslayero I checked some trees from railway stuff before, but it was still pretty expensive... though not as expensive as citadel :p .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another thing you might want to try out is the trees that go with those little collectable house deals, although I'm not sure on the scale though (which leads me to a question, what scale is Warhammer Mins. anyways???) I belive they're fairly cheap, and look really good. Though it's a bit off, you might want to try right after Christmas time, usually the places selling them are trying to unload their stock so they don't have to put it up for a whole year and mark it down alot. They also have other things that might be useful, fences, lightpost, etc. Check them out, never hurts and after all you might find a new source.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.