Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Eldar deal with the psychological effects of constant warfare? I have been reading about PTSD cases from soldiers returning from Iraq (at least it is addressed, even though not entirely successful) and many veterans have had difficulties readjusting to back to civil society.

For the case of the longer lived Eldar, what would be the predicted effects war would have among civilian Craftworld society?

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Well eldar have a knack for having different personas for different situations, they would leave the war eldar at war and suffer no psychological trauma for it. That said they are not human so don't follow the same psychological rules anyway with regards to that sort of thing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It says in the codex that The presense of the Avatar fills them wih bloodlust and that donning their masks allows them to fight with the fury that they do, bt let their souls be clear of the taint of war. Its like they have 2 personalities, one for war, one for peace. One sleeps and one is awake.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Eldar who can no longer adjust back to civilian life would be the exarchs I think

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
it is a mute point, you assume eldar have human minds, emotions and psychology, the whole concept of "the path" shows clearly they dont!

Exarchs are those that are stuck on a single element of "the path"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In other words the Eldar are not Schizophrenics as we had hoped....although that would be grimly humorous to see a Banshee with an identity crisis after skewering a Terminator.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
No, much of the eldar fluff contains stories about aspect warriors and the 'mindset' they go into. Through the use of various rituals they create a different persona who is only 'alive' while the armour is donned. The moment he or she takes off the armour they revert to being 'normal' eldar.

·
Registered
304 Posts
easy...WITH MORE WAR

If you are constantly under fire, you aren't likely to have much time for reflection, are you?

Plus, I doubt the eldar would lose much sleep over the destruction of 'lesser peoples'.

Chere got it right though, they are aliens and all the fluff shows its a fool's errand to try to figure out there crafty xenos mind.

:p

Frank

·
Registered
211 Posts
That said, one could claim that their not right in the head anyway since they compartmentalise their different persona's for War and Peace, the soldier me did it, i was asleep...

Also as was mentioned Eldar seen most of the races in 40k's worth as about equal to something they scrape off their shoe after the battle, not really that traumatic to think about all those insignificant beings you snuffed out.

As a result even if they were capable of the same kind of response as humans to PTSD it seems unlikely that it would be triggered by the kind of conflict common to them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Exarchs are those that are stuck on a single element of "the path"
That’s not exsecly true Exarchs are those stuck on the war path as there war and peace personalties got combined and the effect of war are not just from killing others there also form all the stuff you see

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
That’s not exsecly true Exarchs are those stuck on the war path as there war and peace personalties got combined and the effect of war are not just from killing others there also form all the stuff you see
a little difficult to understand, Exarchs are those stuch on the path, admittedly there have only been examples on war paths, but:

1)it does not mean there are not exarchs on non-war paths because:
2) what is trapping them in the war path is not necessarily anything to do with war, what they have done or seen

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given how violent the Exarchs can be in combat, this makes me wonder how they could show restraint in the political sphere within the confines of a Craftworld.

"I don't agree with you Farseer...(pulls out Triskele)...now you shall listen to what i have to say!"

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Because like all eldar they create a seperate persona that only fully reveals itself when the armour is donned and battle calls.
An exarch is simply one who devotes their lives to the shrine of their choice and when not in battle it is their duty to oversee the training of the aspect warriors and keep the shrine in good condition.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry Cheredanine what I meant was that exarches of the other paths the path of the seer for example are not called exarches not that they don't exist.

But an exarch that is to say the sort the of Eldar stuck on the war path dose not quite have personas in the same way as normal aspect warriors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts