Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Armorcast provides some modular terrain. I like the design as it is above ground and can be placed on a gaming surface. The photos provide a good idea of how they look ( http://www.armorcast.com/terraform/Fortifications.html ).

You could also make something similar. I would use a large section of chipboard to mount 2 cut sections of foam insulation (bought in sheets at harware stores. It is the pink stuff talked about in just about every big, WD, terrain article). You could add 're-enforced' sections by using balsa wood.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Try picking a sutable long and wide baseboard.
Think of the surface of the baseboard as the bottom of the trench.
Build up the basic feature of the trench using cardboard, try to make the front part and maybe also the rear fece of the trench about as tall as a standard miniature just to get the feel that they only peek their heads out of the trench.
When this is done just cover the whole thing with plaster of filler...
Then just decorate accordingly...

·
Registered
3 Posts
for trenches i cut my foam to the desired depth and and line the walls with horizontal popsical sticks (i cut the round ends off). then at the points where they meet i put a cut vertical piece, like this. i=i=i=i=i=i. then i line the bottom in glue and sprinkle kitty litter in the bottom to make dirt, then i spraypaint it, and spray it with are fixative or aresol glue to keep the kitty litter from chipping off and running away from me. its cheap, and it looks like a million bucks. another way it so link the sides with the rippled sections of corrugated cardboard.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You could also try going for some sort of isolation foam.
The stuff they spray around doors and windows some buildings.
Just spray this onto an MDF or whatever other surface you feel like using, then just cut the trenches into that.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You haven't thought of making defence lines with bunkers... that way you'll get 4+ cover save.
You could combine the trench idea with trench bunkers or pillboxes too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen some cool homemade stuff. Cut into poly styrene board, a little shorter than a space marine. lay down small gauge grill metal (the kind with holes) for the floor, and then put in horizontally scored plywood for the sides. Build up the excess cuttings from the board itself and make underground sections (small, but very very cool (can't get hit with artillery)) but small enough such that you can move your guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use the clear part of blister packs for my trenches. line them up on both sides of the trench so the verticle part is in the middle, they should look like this /!_!\ (lol i tried my best drawing!) then i get ice cream sticks snapped at the right length of the verticle parts in the middle. then all i do is pack the angled parts with sand and pva.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hmmm...
You just gave me an idea there...

The way you think of it reminds me of WW2 tanktraps...
Oh yeah!
I'm gonna make that!!

Heck I even know of a place where there still are WW2 tankstraps, I'm maybe going in that direction some day soon... I'll get a pic of it shall I?

·
Registered
28 Posts
a good idee is half the work.
especially when you got an good example it's easier to build something.

sory for the grammar mistakes

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
sory for the grammar mistakes
Not to worry...
It's not the "once in a while wrong spelling guys" we are after...

It's true what you say, the good idea is half the work.
About the WW2 dragonsteeth I was talking about, I can't get a pic within the first week now... it's abit far away for me to do on a ten minute trip... It's about an hour by car further south...
Anyway I will be going there soon, at the same time I will gather a picture series of WW2 ideas. I got quite a bit to take ideas from...
But all in due time...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, those dragonteeth are really good to make. although i am making some other tanktraps for my tau army, i am still in love with those dragon teeth :wub:

--for the greater good-

·
Registered
114 Posts
ach, ach, ach. heres wut i do to make trenches, i design them for friends and people who pay me. take a shitload of styrofoam (if you need it, try your local post office, theyll probably give you some) and cut it up with an exacto knife so its as wide as 2 space marine lying down, and a little less tall then a space marine standing up. then you should take a lotta sand and pebbles and layer them across the trench (not the inside, the outer parts) with some pva glue. if you want to take some popsicle sticks and chop them up and tear them apart and glue them across the trench to give it a little wood ramparts look. then you should take a thin layer of sand and sprinkle it across the trench. now spraypaint it all a sandy color and brush a layer of finish across the trench. your trench is nice now

You should make two little ramps in the front of your trench for easy entry/exit. Then you should slant it out towards your side of the map to protect your heavy support behind the trench better. You can add a little wall made out of little Jenga TM blocks to the front of the trench to give yourself a 4+ cover save. Now you're left with a very nice trench (if you have it!).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ok I've had some time to think about the blisterpack trenches...

And I've concluded that it has to be pretty good... ;)
Ok here's how I think of it.
Take the plastic parts of the blisterpacks and either use them as sole unsuported tank traps (I'll show you how later).
Or you can align the packs side by side, fill in the gaps depending on how much bend you want on your trench... a little work around that and I think you have a pretty good trench.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have the easiest way to make tank traps,

CORKS!! yes corks, they already look worn and beaten up, just glue them to a base add some sand and paint and presto! instant tank traps takes only a few miutes for these, u can get bunches of em too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.