Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how do you guys paint your crons? what color schemes? I don't really have anything special in my head at the moment, and I was wondering before I paint my own, that I have a distinguishable color scheme instead of the common silver black green dull look which is common around my area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paint my necrons with a mix of iceblue and chainmail giving it a very metallic blue look to them and highlight with an even more mettalic looking mix. I then paint the guns using shinging gold then paint and flock the bases.

They look alot like the boltgunmetal/ultramarines blue painted cron in the painting section of the codex with less detailed highlighting

but im content with simple colorschemes using a base paint and one level of highlights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do the following:
1. Basecoat my crons black.
2. Drybrush Boltgun Metal
3. Drybrush Mithril Silver
4. Paint shoulders Fortress grey

This gives my necrons a nice combination feel to them. I'm also replacing the green rods on my gauss flayers to red rods. I like the red rods gives them a more evil look ...

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
-Prime Black
-Drybrush Gold (several different shades)
-Layer of Scab Red, then Red Gore, on the shoulderpads and pads near the knees
-Boltgun metal for the tubes in the belly/neck
-Scorpion Green for the eyes and chest emblem

Overall, I like the scheme. Not your typical silver scheme, and it looks good. I'm trying to paint each Necron with a slightly different shade of gold (we have two gold paints, so I'm trying to mix them a little) so that no Necron looks the exact same as another.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
953 Posts
I painted the machine components a mix of boltgun metal and chainmail with a blue-black ink wash. The armor plates I did in a metallic blue to make them stand out and have the gold decals really pop. The armor plates are gloss varnished and the machine components are matte varnished. This makes the armor really stand out and gives the "fresh off the assembly line" look. I found bright green paint at my local craft store that matched the green rods and painted the inside of the ribcage, gauss weapon feed pipe, and their eyes so they look like they're glowing with gauss energy.

I personally don't care for the old and crusty appearance many people are fond of. I like to think of my Necrons having a "living metal" exoskeleton (giving them their WBB rolls) so they would never look "old" or show battle damage.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I really can't get the whole technique terminology- 'basecoat', 'drybrush', 'inkwash'.

All I know is that I spray 'em black, then paint all of the armoury bits silver (no expensive GW paints for me), the spine gold, the shoulder plates enamel black, with gold edges and a gold heiroglyph, then the eyes copper and the joint bits brass.

A bit complicated, but it looks damn good. (I intend to post them on the 'Necron Pictures' thread)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never really liked the 'terminator' look of only purely silver/boltgun metal without a complimentary colour. Painting them silver is a quick way to create an army but adding strong colours can add more character to your army - even a necron army.

My army is created by...
1. spray paint flat black
2. dry brush silver
3. blood red on all the 'casing's
4. skull white face
5. black shoulder pads
6. yellow gauss rods

·
Registered
9 Posts
I paint my necrons a simple and effective way,

1) black undercoat
2) drybrush silver (leave gun black)
3) I do all the joints, kneecaps, shoulder pads etc. scab red

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Really simple scheme- Primed Black, Jade Green for shoulders, emblem and eyes. Gold Guns. Then I do runic symbols on their arms, chest and heads with jade green. Top it off by doing most of the model with ardcoat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have two different designs that I incorporate in my models.

The first is black base coat, dry brush chain mail on joints and chest piece. Then I paint the armor pieces shining gold. Not the entire model, just the armor pieces, wrist guards, forearm armor, shoulder armor, leg armor, and shine guards. Then this is where I have to choose. Some I paint the face mask shining gold, then others I paint the head chain mail. The chain mail ones I call part of my eternal patrol squad and have them with weather effects, but not the shining gold armor. Then I have the gun the standard black, with snot green for the energy feeder. I put a coat of gloss on the energy feeder and paint the very bottom of the blade shining gold. This makes the blade seem ultra sharp (mainly because you can't see the gold is is reflecting so much). Then I painted the entire insignia shinning gold, then picked out the symbol with mithral silver. I'd say my necrons are worth quite a bit on the black market. Make a couple million off the gold alone.

I was going for heroic necrons, while they don't seem that way, they do seem stronger and immortal. They also partially blind anyone that stairs at them and is within 6 yards.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Shiny black, with light grey highlights.
All faces are plain varnished white, and red is incorporated based on the "status" of the model, i.e. nothing for warriors, shoulder pads for immortals, pads and jet exhausts for destroyers, and chest for lord.
My wraiths will use the same concept, but will be highlighted from black to blue to reflect their phasing ability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what I do for my crons is that I basecoat it black then I drybrush everything boltgun metal then paint the joints black and the shoulder pad a dull red along with the eyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts