Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
El Presidente
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huhu peeps,

My Emperor's Children army finally grew up and changed it's beginning transport case to a big-boy case!
However,I don't know which one yet! The problem is that I play a completely mechanized Chaos list that has 4 Rhinos, 2 predators and a defiler, and so I need quite a bit of space for that. The infantry isn't really a problem, but the vehicles are.
Does anyone know a good carrying case/bag/etc for a mechanized army (bigger than the standard GW one)?

http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html looks really nice, but does anyone know any others?

Thnx in advance :D

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I don't even have a proper carrying case. I transport my stuff around in a toolbox, and it seems to work okay. I figure why pay extortionate prices for a proper carrying case when my toolbox works just fine? I'll probably upgrade at some point eventually, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol 2000 pts of tyranids in a shoebox for the win!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use the simple two layer gun case method. With a little mod it holds my 3200 Guard army. Let me think thats 177 infantry (12 being heavy weapons on large bases) 3 Sentinles (taken off the bases and legs removed) and 7 tanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
At the moment my nids fit into 2 boxes - one is the newer GW large case with the 6 troop foam inserts (cut up to hold nid monsters - got 5 in there already); and the other is the old GW carry case with the bopple foam - great for holding epic or genestealers and zoanthropes.
Though I will need another case at some point for my WE - and somthing to hold my flyrant in -- he will be the worst to house!

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
The only problem with magnetized bases is when you put a unit down in a close formation and they all decide to get to know each other better =).

I'm pretty sure you could get that entire army into a Sabol Army Transport, at least if your defiler has removable legs. I fit into mine:

70 infantry
4 rhinos
3 GW exorcists
2 chimeras
leman russ

Probably won't be able to do it with the standard tray loadout though.
I think I have one 3", two 2.5" and three 1" trays in mine for that army.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
I can say with much pride that I have roughly 4000-5000 points of dwarves in a single GW carry case. (Smaller one).

off the top of my head this includes...

50+ warriors
19 hammerers
19 longbeards
20 ironbreakers
~20 thunderers
~20 quarrellers/rangers
2 cannons
2 flame cannons
1 grudge thrower
2 bolt throwers
2 organ guns
dwarf lord
anvil of doom
assorted runesmiths/thanes/bsbs
dragon/daemon slayer
17 slayers with full command
war machine crews.

And I STILL have spaces spare :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use Kaiser Rushforth case. it hold 2 of their card board boxes. In one I have 5 devilfish/Hammerhead chasis, 3 pirhanas and 3 broadsides. In the other I have 40 odd firewarriors, 12 stealth suits, 9 sniper drones and 10 battlesuits as well as more drones than i can shake a stick at.

they look great too. doesn't look like your carrying a loads of toy men around in a box, so when I turn up at a meeting on site and sit in the boot to put my riggers boots on all the workmen don't know i've got 3000 points of tau sitting in my car!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use the large GW case, it has a strap and I need it when I'm riding my motor. Vehicles don't fit in it, for that I use a small box with bubble rap and stick that in my top box on my bike. It's a lot of pissing about but it gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I use a Sabol transport for my Chaos--I'm so absentminded that I need an all-in-one case. I recommend it. If you want to go cheap, I've heard of people using tomato plant trays in Tupperware and shoeboxes and the like.

For my Rhinos, I put them in a cardboard box with an old T-shirt for padding.

·
Registered
301 Posts
liffrea - you either modify (cut) the foam packaging in the large GW case (this is what I did for my nids) or you get the newerest case which has removable blocks of foam, so you can make a custom holder

(wait a moment and I will dig out how I modded my case_
quote me - from somewhereelse!

I use an older GW carry case which has the bobbled foam to hold my stealers, whilst the rest of the army resides in one of the larger, newer cases (the one with 6 foam trays)
-Cutnpast from where I did this before
Ok how to fit your army in to a GW carry case: all cutting done carfully with a very sharp scalple - don't force it, take time to saw through
Warriors and raverners:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/warriors.jpg
these require only that you cut away a single dividing line - raveners fit like a treat, warriors can be a little harder depending on how they are modeled, but in general a good fit

Steals, gaunts and zoanthropes:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/stealers.jpg
well the zoanthropes are the easiest, they just rest on top of the dividers and thats that - they are metal, so can survive a little extra pressure
gaunts - horma or regualar fit easily in the allocated divider sections
genestealesrs - a bit more messy here - if you model them with their arms tucked in there is little problem, but arms out wide a little harder to fit - but not an impossible fit

the big ones! - and lictors
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big1.jpg
well to fit a lictor, cut out the intersection setion of 4 dividing lines and the lictor will fit in quite nicly into the gap

monsters, as you see, take up two levels, and require a little more cutting:
step 1 take the base foam inster (alway best if there is a tyrant on the foam section as he has less chance to squash down things under him; and cut into this foam a gap for the base of the monster - roughly poistion the monster so as the tail will hit one wall - of added support
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big3.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/big2.jpg

step 2 is a little harder - put the foam mat you just cut with the fex inside upsidedown ontop of hte back of the upper foam layer. From there roughy mark out his back and where it hits the foam - hint about 1-2mm out from the towers works well.
from there is a case of cuttingout the foam section so as he can poke through as seen above.

you can easily fit a large army into this case - I have put 4 monstrus creatures to a side of foam, and I think this is as many as you should really add - any more and you are reducing the strength of the padding - especially if you are adding tyrants.

models not yet tested:
biovore - though I can forsee no problems fitting one
winged tyrant - well this will depend entirly on how he ends up being modeled - might be a challenge, but shoud fit in the end.
and there you have it
no mocking of the non-painted nids! please

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.